Get Ready for the Cortland Sew-Along!
When we launched the Cortland Trench this past spring, we promised a sew-along in the fall. Well, fall is now upon us and it’s now time to sew up a Cortland together!
To recap in case you’re new to Grainline, the Cortland Trench was released in May of this year. The design was inspired by me wanting a trench that felt a bit less formal than a traditional trench – a jacket that felt easier for me to throw on with my everyday clothes but would still look more put together than a chore coat. With that in mind I spent a lot of time looking at trench coats from the 60’s and 70’s and, after a lot of sketching, came up with this design.
The schedule for the Cortland Sew-Along will be as follows. We’ll kick it off on Monday, September 27th with our first lesson. The sew-along is free to join and videos will be posted on our YouTube page so make sure you’re subscribed to that so you don’t miss anything!
- Day 1: Introduction, fabrics & supplies
- Day 2: Choosing a size & pattern adjustments
- Day 3: Cutting your fabric
- Day 4: Choosing, cutting & applying your interfacing
- Day 5: Inserting the welt pockets
- Day 6: Assembling the front, back & storm flaps
- Day 7: Sleeves & assembling the body
- Day 8: Assembling & attaching the front facing
- Day 9: Sewing & attaching the collar
- Day 10: Hemming the jacket
- Day 11: Buttons & buttonholes
If you need some inspiration for your own Cortland we’ve got some great blog posts you can check out before we get started. And of course the pattern is available in our shop in both PDF and Printed format in both of our size ranges! We hope you’ll join in, learn some great new tips and tricks, and end up with a jacket you love!