Introducing the Felix Dress!

Felix Dress Downloadable Sewing Pattern | Grainline Studio

I’m so excited to show you our newest pattern, the Felix Dress! If you’ve seen me at any point this summer I’ve probably been wearing mine. I wore it to Soul Craft in Melbourne and to teach at Bernina University. It’s made appearances at my knit night at Knit 1 and I can’t get enough of it! It doesn’t hurt that it gathers compliments everywhere it goes. Even at our shoot our model Chinwe didn’t want to take them off!

A little about how this design took shape: I’ve always liked the idea of a gathered waist skirt, and how they look on others, but in reality they almost always feel too feminine for me when I put them on. To solve this problem, yet still have the fuller skirt look I was going for, I eased the skirt in rather than gathering it. The result is a swingy skirt without the waistline bulk of gathering and a slightly more sleek, sophisticated silhouette. The neckline took shape in a similar fashion. I love a v-neck and I think wrap necklines are gorgeous, but every time I’ve had a wrap dress I never wear it because I find them too fiddly for my lifestyle. To get the look of a wrap without having to adjust it multiple times throughout the day we went with the faux wrap. I absolutely love this neckline and think it’s beautiful on its own or with necklaces of varying length.

Felix Dress Downloadable Sewing Pattern | Grainline Studio

With all I’ve already said, I think my favorite thing about the Felix dress is probably the movement it creates when worn. The swingy shape paired with drapey fabrics means this dress moves so beautifully. It was something that we tried to capture during the shoot and hopefully we succeeded. It flows and swishes around you as you move in a way that I can’t get enough of!

Now lets talk a bit about the features of the Felix Dress:

Felix Dress Downloadable Sewing Pattern | Grainline Studio
  1. Faux wrap neckline: graceful and flattering without worrying about it staying closed.
  2. Fit flares out from shoulder: the fitted shoulder anchors the dress.
  3. Three sleeve options: choose between sleeveless, flutter sleeves, or 3/4 sleeves.
  4. Eased waistline: reduced bulk keeps the silhouette from becoming overwhelming.
  5. Generous pockets: because of course!
  6. Full skirt in two skirt lengths: choose knee length or midi.
Felix Dress Downloadable Sewing Pattern | Grainline Studio
  1. Fully lined bodice and skirt: this is my favorite part and makes the dress really fun to sew!
  2. No ease in skirt: helps further reduce the bulk.
Felix Dress Downloadable Sewing Pattern | Grainline Studio

Grab your copy of the Felix Dress below and stay tuned for posts on style inspiration, fabric selection, and the full sew-along. We can’t wait to see your versions — make sure to use the hashtags #grainlinefelix and #grainlinestudio so we can follow along with your progress!

47 replies on “Introducing the Felix Dress!

• Lu Bennett

Oh my goodness, this is perfect and oh so clever. I love it, Jen. It doesn’t hurt one bit that your model is stunning too!

• Jen

Thanks so much! I’m so happy people seem to be into it, especially since it’s my favorite thing to wear right now! And Chinwe really is gorgeous, totally lucked out again!!

• Jen

I’ll have a post up on Monday all about fabric, but the fabrics we used for our samples are:
      Printed Dress: 100% rayon
      Striped Dress: 50% linen / 50% rayon
      Solid Dress: 100% linen (handkerchief)
      They’re all lined in lightweight rayon. We did the 100, 50/50, 100 so that you could get a feel for the drape, so hopefully that helps!

• Jen

You can likely finagle the skirt to be unlined but the bodice you’ll need to line in order to get a clean finish as it’s part of the construction, not just an extra layer thrown on to help with opaqueness. Though with the lightweight fabrics most people will probably use, lining is not a bad thing at all!

• Jen

This one is PDF only, sorry. Due to the unique bodice construction it didn’t make sense to print cost-wise. As for the lining, you can likely finagle the skirt to be unlined but the bodice will need to be lined or you won’t have a clean finish. The lining is part of the construction of it.

• Sylwia

This is a beauty! I too love fit and flare dresses but they never feel right on me as I am a square and don’t have a nipped-in waist, and I also never wear any of my wrap dresses as I find them too fiddly, though I love the look. So this is basically my ideal dress pattern. Thank you 🙂

• Jen

If you click over to the listing they’re all in there! Sorry I didn’t think to post any here. So much to do for a release I just spaced.

• Michele

OMG, I love this! Just what I’ve been looking for in a dress, perfect in every way. I love paper patterns as well, but I will cut and tape if the style is great, which this is. Love the yellow/black fabric on your gorgeous model. Can you tell us more about it? Thank you for reading my mind!!

• buy

Hi Jen,
    Lovely design – I’ve already downloaded it! Can you tell me how many days the sewalong will be spread out over? I’ve got a bit of time off but might try to go it alone if its a long one.
    Thanks

Debbie

• Kathryn

I love this dress and can see it as a transition to next season. I am 5’2″. Will there need to be any adjustments in bodice length, and, if so, are they easily accomplished?

• Grainline Studio

We have lengthen shorten lines on the pattern and I’ll be talking about pattern adjustments on the blog soon as part of the sew along so we’ll be covering that there.

• Janice Wallace

I love this dress and I think it would be perfect for larger women too. is it practical to grade this pattern up a couple of sizes or would the design not lend itself to doing so?

• Grainline Studio

I think it could be done. I’ll be talking about pattern adjustments here soon so take a look at that and if you want to try it and have q’s you can definitely email me!

• Brooke

Hello – lovely pattern, and I intend to download it immediately. But why are the flutter sleeves not available in the largest two sizes?

• brookebrannon

And I’ve just answered my own questions: the flutter sleeve isn’t available in the 54-inch width, but it is in the 58-inch width. Got it. Thank you!

• Jen

You can use 45″ wide fabric, but you’ll need to order about 1/3 yd extra and cut the sleeves flat. They’re too wide for 45″ wide fabric folded.

• Sandra Woods

No paper pattern–I won’t be buying this. If you find it difficult to print I can only imagine how difficult it will be to put together from my home printer–and I can’t image how many pages of printing it will take! I notice there is no information on this–probably for a good reason. Some pdf patterns are 50-70 pages–making the cost enormous. It’s really too bad for the customer. Such a lovely dress. One thought–I would cut the hem to make it level at the front–to me it gives the impression of a large stomach lifting the hem up a bit.

• neeli

I am so excited about this dress. It is beautiful. I wanted to share the link for using PatternReview’s Copyshop feature where you can order a digital pattern and get it printed through them. When I added it to my cart is was an extra $6.00 (plus the $16.00 for the pattern). Seems like a good solution for many of us that don’t want to print at home. https://sewing.patternreview.com/blog?s=2326732 If the link doesn’t show search patternreview and large format printing.

• Beanie

I really like this dress. I would prefer to make it with short sleeves. Will you be providing advice on how to turn the 3/4 sleeves into short sleeves? If not, I will just “Frankenstein” a short sleeve pattern piece onto the Felix Dress’ 3/4 sleeve pattern piece — not a problem, just asking.

• Jen L

I just have to say that I love the name! My daughter is named Felix, so it’s fun to see something else feminine with that name.

• Helen

Hi, I am an amateur when it comes to sewing. I loved this pattern and bought it. I thought I could take the pdf into our major print place in town and print it to full size! Now I’m not sure I am able to do that. If I take the pdf in to print, what percentage do I ask them to enlarge the print too?
    I’m in Australia. I’m not sure about putting all the A4 paper together!!
    Can I print the pattern to the correct enlargement size?
    Kind regards

• Randi

Looking forward to seeing some samples from the sewing community. Not sure if it would work on my body type, though I’m hopeful. 🙂