Fall ’17 Wardrobe Inspiration

Fall '17 Style Inspiration | Grainline Studio

All images & sources from my Fall/Winter 17 Pinterest Board

Every season I try to do a wardrobe inspiration post, but for some reason this year it felt really overwhelming. It’s no secret that I have less and less time for personal sewing the more Grainline grows, and I’m to the point where I’ve had to start purchasing replacements for worn out clothing rather than replacing them with me-made versions. Since my free time has changed so drastically, I’ve really wanted to rethink my sewing strategy.

I used to feel a sort of obligation to make Every. Single. Thing. in my wardrobe, which ALWAYS lead to disappointment. Honestly that’s a completely unrealistic goal for myself as a small business owner who would like to also enjoy life outside of sewing. It’s also not much fun (nor is it healthy mentally) to have that sort of pressure inside your head. So instead this season I wanted to think about what would be fun to make and wear, rather than what do I need to make so I’m not walking around naked. It’s always more fun to do something you want to do than something you need to do, and the feeling that I need to make every single thing I wear has abated a lot over the last few years as I learn about more and more slow fashion and ethical brands.

As far as what I’m feeling this season style wise, it’s not much of a departure from my normal style. Coats (I love making coats!), layering pieces, Archers – those are always fun for me! I’m interested in possibly a wider leg pant after trying on the Everlane Wide Leg Crop shown above. I was on the fence but I feel like with some personal tweaks they could be a super comfy addition to my wardrobe! I have lots of sweaters on my handmade wardrobe wish list, always lots of sweaters!

Fall '17 Color Inspiration | Grainline Studio

As far as colors, I’m keeping it pretty solidly in the classic fall color scheme. Mossy green, navy, rust red, the divisive ochre, and of course my old pals black, ivory, and grey! Though this isn’t the most colorful to a lot of you I’m sure, it feels to me like I’m adding in some old friends I haven’t worn in a while. When I’m stressed out and busy I revert from more colorful clothing to black, white and grey almost exclusively. It’s just one less thing to think about getting ready in the morning. Sometimes when you’re making decisions all day the absolute last thing you want to do is make another, so uniform dressing has been huge for me. This being as it is, I think this color scheme is a good sign!

I’ve mapped out some of the projects I hope to have time to accomplish this season and will be sharing them with you over the course of the week. Until then tell me, what silhouettes and colors are you feeling for fall!?

28 replies on “Fall ’17 Wardrobe Inspiration

• Amanda

I’ve been in a loose top with fitted bottoms phase for a while now. Keeping with that I’m thinking Hadley long sleeves and Archers with Ginger skinny jeans. I also recently discovered the joy of sewing bras. The only bummer, it’s not something I can show off the same way as jeans and outerwear! But, there is something very satisfying about how quick they are and that I can go for all the colors and crazy designs that I don’t really feel comfortable wearing for all to see.

• Jen

Ha yeah that’s definitely been the bummer with the few bras I’ve made. So much pretty fabric and detailed stitching, soooo hidden! Also you’re completely describing my ideal wardrobe, I have a few Archers and Hadley tops on my to-sew list for sure!

• Marie Carter

I love your choices (and your color palette is quite diverse, IMO). It makes perfect sense for you to not feel obligated to make every single wardrobe item (and I do think that it is important to support ethical brands). What I really really hope you do is teach us a bit about your clogs – I am totally obsessed and probably will only be purchasing one pair – so I want to make the right choice. Happy Monday!

• Jen

I think since my job is making patterns so people can make their own clothes I feel a lot of potentially unnecessary stress about not making my own, but I’m finally getting over that! Phew! On the clog front, I’m definitely planning something. I had no idea how many people wanted to know more about them! And of course, I’m always happy to ramble on about shoes 😉

• Jen

Ooh I haven’t seen that, thanks for the heads up! There’s so many knitting patterns coming out all the time I can’t keep up! Do you know what yarn you’re using yet?

• Alice

Oh yes, ochre! I just swatched with some ochre yarn recently and I’m in love, I had no idea I’d be so into it. I’m curious to see how you’d work wider legged trousers into your wardrobe in the colder and windier months. My ankles get cold just thinking about it so I can’t quite figure it out how to escape my skinny jeans uniform that I’m getting a bit tired of.

• Jen

Haha yeah I’m curious about that too actually. I feel like if I’m going to make them I need to do it soon so I can get some wear in! I’ll let you know how it goes. Re ochre though…so good right? I have a feeling it’s “not a good color on me” but I don’t even care. What yarn / pattern are you swatching with / for?

• Alice

It’s a local shetland yarn, I was actually only swatching in this colour to get some gauge measurements but I immediately started dreaming of a cardigan in it. I have that same instinct about yellows but yeah, who cares 🙂

• Jen

Hahahah well we can both walk around in potentially unflattering colors together! I really want to resurrect the Ondawa I gave up on and re-knit it in ochre…who am I right now?! An ochre cardigan would be soooo dreamy though and would give you the opportunity to put a more chilled out color right with it so that’s pretty genius actually!

• Joyce Stenspn

I used to sew Every. Single. Thing. too. Like you and many others my time evaporates from the moment my feet hit the deck. I tried this starting a year ago: story board, make 1 scarf a season, make,1 maybe 2 major piece(s) from the story board, this year a mohair jacket and then call it a day. I enjoy sewing again! TBT that mohair jacket may be completely hand sown, or not. Trouser leg pants are so cool. I thank you for your straight-forward piece about time. Creative preservation is a big deal, it is what keeps a business thriving.

• Jen

I really love your approach and might adopt it myself! It really is hard working on sewing all day then trying to come home and sew. It’s the one thing people never think about when turning their hobby into their job, but the struggle is so real. It took me a long time to come to this realization but now that I have I’m very excited about it. Also, can we talk more about your mohair jacket? That sounds amazing!!

• Ginger

That’s why I refuse to sew for people for pay… I make a lot of things for myself and gifts for other but I don’t want to have any commission type work to sew. It takes all the fun out of sewing for me if I feel like I have to please other people with what I make.

I heard a great quote one time with regards to sewing everything you wear:

Even Julia Childs ate out now and then…

• Jen

Oh man, that gave me a good laugh, thank you! Agreed on sewing for pay. I love making family members the occasional thing, but as soon as it’s required I’m out. I even make my husband take his mending to the dry cleaner a few storefronts down from work. They’re amazing, fair prices, and I didn’t have to do it!

• Anya

I love this post! I am in the same boat. I have been feeling the pressure to make every single thing I wear and I am starting to realize a couple things – no everything has to be me made, and at the same time when I do try things on in stores knowing how to sew makes it worse, because I can see all the fitting issues… It’s such a double edged sword!

• Jen

It really is! I actually think I’m less picky about fit than a lot of people but sometimes it’s just SO bad. Also every time I go shopping I get more ideas for things I want to make so AHHH!!!

• Chris

I don’t know if this is true or not but I thought it was a great remark. Supposedly someone commented on how much she liked Nancy Zieman’s blouse and asked if Nancy had made it. She was very disappointed that Nancy had bought it. Nancy’s reply was “even Julia Child ate out once it a while” I thought this applied to you believing you have to sew everything you wear. You don’t.

• Marcy

I’d love to see a blog post sometime on the slow fashion / ethical fashion brands you’ve found, if you haven’t already done one! I hadn’t heard of Everlane. I love sewing for myself, but with two little kids I just don’t have the energy at the end of the day for it right now.

• Dani Malloy

I’m hoping this is the year that I can go beyond skinny jeans. I love that cropped pair you posted above—I’d love to find a cold-weather-friendly option in a similar silhouette. I made a pair of Flint Pants this summer, and I forgot how freeing it is not to feel like an encased sausage all day! I’m not quite sure I have the footwear for non-skinnies in a Chicago winter. We’ll have to see…

• Jen

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been trying to figure out as well. Not sure what non-skinny jeans look like once that freezing cold air starts blowing! I’ll keep you posted on any developments and if you figure the situation out let me know!