Winter ’14 Wardrobe Inspiration

Grainline Studio | Winter '14 Wardrobe Inspiration

one | two | three

It seems like everyone is posting their winter wardrobe plans and now that it’s snow sprinkling here in Chicago with a chance of accumulation Saturday night I suppose it’s time that I start accepting the fact that fall is over and get started on winter. Honestly I feel like I just posted my spring wardrobe inspiration…9 months ago? This year really got away from me with all of the new and printed patterns! Anyway, back to a few things I’d love to be making and wearing this winter. All of these items, and more, are on my Winter ’14 Pinboard.

I haven’t been wearing many dresses in the past year or two except for the summer months. I used to wear them with thick tights all winter long but I’ve somehow I fallen totally out of that groove. The first two dresses above are pretty predictable silhouettes for me, but the third is something I might like to try out. I feel like it’s not too sweet so maybe I could pull it off. I have a really hard time feeling like myself in anything with ruffles, too full of a skirt, or too many ‘extras’ on it which can rule out a lot of things.

Grainline Studio | Fall / Winter '14 Wardrobe Inspiration

one | two | three | four | five | six | seven

I’m imagining this collage as an outfit with some black jeans and I really wish I was wearing it RIGHT NOW. I hate certain cardigans, the kind that are thin and sort of fitted with the lower v-neck, but this bulky grandpa style cardigan is right up my alley. The little shell I can imagine in a lightweight wool and it just seems perfect for layering – I kind of want one in black, navy, and ivory! I’ve been seeing a lot of bulky hats lately and I always think they’re so cute, I’d love to give making one a try, plus if it’s even half as cold here as it was last winter I’m going to need to be wearing something much thicker than I currently own. I threw in my actual glasses and bag just to pretend that I totally own this outfit. Internet dreaming my friends, internet dreaming.

Grainline Studio | Winter '14 Wardrobe Inspiration

one | two | three | four | five

I’m kind of overly obsessed with grey marl knits at the moment, it’s actually carrying over from last year. These sweaters with the oversized soft cables are soooo dreamy. Anyone know of a knitting pattern that could easily be turned into something similar to either of these? My semi-in depth Ravelry search hasn’t turned up anything yet. Another chunky hat, had to throw that in there. I will definitely be knitting one before the year ends! I really also need to get myself a pair of sneaks, I’ve started doing yoga (omg that’s a whole other post) and I’ve been wandering two and from the studio in some pretty funny footwear. Not so weird if you’re not wearing your yoga getup, but penny loafers or clogs paired with yoga pants are a weird combo that will definitely get you stares on the street…

Grainline Studio | Winter '14 Wardrobe Inspiration

one | two | three | four | five

Outfit three, inspired by this photo of a cozy sweater in a boat (hi Stonecutter!) cause who doesn’t love a cozy sweater and a boat! It’s possible you may remember this tee shirt from my spring wardrobe inspiration post, I have not given up on how perfect it is! I have the perfect bamboo knit to make something kind of similar based on the Linden pattern and I’m super excited about that! The cardigan is another example of the type of cardigan I don’t hate, the kind that’s like a social acceptable blanket. That’s my kind of cardigan. Pair all this with some little Dieppas (my all time number one dream shoes) and a super cute nautical knot ring and in my dreams I’m totally all set for cold weather!

These are just a few things I’d love to have a version of this winter and I’m going to try this thing where I make something for myself at least once a month that isn’t related directly to a pattern tutorial or some sort of sewing tip. I really need to make a few Hemlock tees for yoga as well as a few Archers and another Archer/Alder dress in this super dreamy forest green silk crepe de chine I have. I’m getting excited just thinking about it! What styles or silhouettes are you guys super into for winter? Do you have a sewing wardrobe planned already? Fill me in so we can collectively get excited for the cold weather sewing season!!

29 replies on “Winter ’14 Wardrobe Inspiration

• muenzeeins

love your winter mood board!! thanks a lot for the ideas! all things that I would wear as well, and I’m as obsessed with cable knits :)! I really hope that I manage to make one that i’ll still be able to wear this winter :)…

• Jen

Ooh that’s a really awesome sweater and could be a contender for if I decide to attempt a marled masterpiece! The big cables are so nice aren’t they? So simple but super lush!

• Emily C.

I’d also like to wear more skirts/dresses this winter! I’m planning on making a simple wool skirt to wear with tights; just need to get on that… and fleece-lined tights are at the top of my shopping list.
    I have some sweaters in the chunky/comfy category that are getting too worn, so those likely need to be replaced. I’m especially fond of cowl necks. 🙂

• Jen

I’m with you an all of this! I really want to make a leather Moss to layer with tights and sweaters, in my head it’s dreamy but in reality I may want to scream while making it. The cozy sweaters are always the ones that get worn out first

• Karen

I’m thinking the ‘Better Than Basic Pullover’ we just published over at Churchmouse might be a good platform for some cable play – it’s straight stockinette, but I got to knit one marled with two different colors of Isager Alpaca Merino 2, and it’s lovely. Turtleneck, if you groove that way…

• Jen

Ooh that sounds wonderful, I’ll check it out! Sadly I can’t do a turtle neck, always feel like I’m being strangled rather than hugged 😉 Coincidentally I just ordered a TON of yarn from Churchmouse today, so excited for that upcoming sweater!

• Elyse

Thank you for this great post. I need more of these. You’ve nailed my style and your blog is a true inspiration for my sewing/knitting projects this winter. I knit up a massive moss-stitch cowl on size 17 Addi nickel circulars with super chunky soft black Merino roving I bought at Stitches West last summer (no pattern, just cast on and kept knitting until it was large enough; gauge approx 2 sts per in). Moss stitch made it stiff enough to sit up and it doubles as a hood also which is great for not crushing hair. Nice alternative to large hat.

• gingermakes

Oh man, that sweater in the second outfit is fantastic! I hope there’s a similar pattern out there somewhere. I get too cold to wear dresses in the winter, even with tights (they just don’t feel as warm as pants to me), so I tend to wear skinny jeans that easily tuck into boots with a buttondown and a sweater. I also really like to wear circle scarves for extra warmth, plus you don’t have to keep adjusting them or worry about losing them like you do with regular scarves. Thanks for the outfit inspiration!

• justsewtherapeutic

Some lovely outfits there, especially like the second sweater, I’ve got a bit of a thing for grey marl too. I’ve drawn up a plan for for my autumn/winter sewing and knitting, it’s the first time I’ve done so but it’s really helping me focus. Good luck with finding a pattern for that sweater!

• Tädi

I’ve been reading weather forecast obsessively to find out when we are going to have snow here in Estonia. So far nothing. Weather refuses to get colder. I wold love to be super excited about my new winter coat I am planning to make (steamed the fabric, drafted the pattern, have all the notions) but so far the kaamos thats outside my window is only depressing me 🙁
    So hearing you may have snow makes me jelly LMAO. I also need to sew some ponte pants and few longer Tshirts to go with em pants.

• Katie Emma

Lovely curated collection! I love that watch in particular. As for sweaters, I saw on Instagram that Brooklyn Tweed is releasing a new collection next week, so there will be some inspiring sweaters to drool over soon!
    I’m dreaming of cozy sweaters worn over buttonups or tunics in a palette of navy, gray, mustard, and deep greens. I’m also obsessively online window shopping for a new down coat and snow boots. I’m sure what I have will last another year, but I need at least one reason to get excited about cold weather, right?!

• sj kurtz

I can’t knit anymore, but the first one is still on my bucket list. The second is totally easypeasy and really striking in a huge yarn. The third was everyone’s girlfriend that year.

and this one is just reversing the stockinette rows to get sideways ribs, with a big booty cable in the center back.

But that enormous single cable…..that’s just cool. And totally simple. Just remember: cables get to be super HEAVY. Huge yarn + cable = your arms are going to be hurting heaving it around.

Ah, kimono sideways cardi…..you taunt me, you vixen!

• Haylee Atkinson

I would be totally ok reading no other blog but yours. Seriously, I always get so much inspiration from your posts. This one especially, I am absolutely loving these outfits. Especially that second sweater and the striped shirt in the last one. So cute.

• nettie

I made a Hemlock dress that is the most comfortable thing I’ve worn in a long time. I totally plan to make another from some striped ponte. I’m just not in the mood for stripe matching #lazyseamstress ;p

• Kathleen

I love all your inspirations and can’t wait for any new patterns. My big problem is adapting for a southern California winter! Tracing of a Linden tomorrow for sure, though.

• Bella

I’m always so inspired by your style ideas! You seem to know your style so well. I’m still working on that, but I’m in agreement about not feeling myself in ruffly super girly silhouettes.

• Elizabeth

That sweater looks like it could be pretty simple for you to make without a pattern – just swatch in whatever yarn you want to use and decide how many stitches to cast on and decrease to with that, and you can find cabling charts all over the place or use graph paper to make one specifically for your pattern.

But I’m excited to see what you make this winter. I love your blog, I feel like my style is pretty similar and I think everything you do is ace.

• ipires

I actually have Exeter on my to-knit list, and it might be the next thing I am working on. I started doing planning, but time has been so scarce I am really annoyed I have not done more of it.

Love most of the stuff you showed on your post, and that nautical knot ring is really lovely 🙂

I am also planning on making a Hemlock using some deep navy wool crepe I have on my stash. Just the thing for my forever increasing navy wardrobe… 🙂

• Lucy Z.

Those look great! Can you tell what you use to make those mood/inspiration boards? Like is it an app or a program, and from where do you pull the photos for them that are all perfectly silhouetted against white? Thanks for any tips!

• Jen

Hi Lucy – I’m sorry to say there’s no magic way I use to make them. I lay them out in Photoshop and delete all the backgrounds that aren’t perfectly white when I took them off the web by tracing around the objects using the pen tool. Hope that helps?