Brooklyn Tweed Stonecutter

Grainline Studio | Brooklyn Tweed Stonecutter

After a year of on again, off again, then totally on knitting, my Stonecutter (ravelry link) is done and photographed! I am absolutely in love with this sweater so get ready because I’m about to wax poetic all over this sucker.

Grainline Studio | Brooklyn Tweed Stonecutter

Lets start with the basics…

Pattern: Stonecutter by Michele Wang for Brooklyn Tweed
Yarn: Brooklyn Tweed Shelter in Snowbound
Needles: One 16” and one 24” circular needles in size US6, one 24″ circular needle in size US8
Modifications: Lengthened the sleeves by about 1/2″ and switched up the neckline (Ravelry Info)

Grainline Studio | Brooklyn Tweed Stonecutter

Now lets really get in there on the pattern. Seriously this pattern was so fun to knit and really kept me interested from the beginning to end. The cable running diagonally up the hips to the side seams is pretty ingenious for shaping and I think it’s really flattering as well. The back and front follow the same chart until the neckline shaping so you could risk the problem of finishing one then not wanting to do the second, but since I really liked all the cabling I was ready to roll on the front! I wish I could have instituted working out of the house sooner, in addition to being a lot more sane, I would have finished this months ago.

Grainline Studio | Brooklyn Tweed Stonecutter

I was working on the back of this sweater during the winter Olympics (yeah that long ago) and because I’m one of those people who gets overly excited while watching things like the Olympics or the Blackhawks, I got a little busy yelling for the athletes and made some pretty major mistakes cabling. Due to my perfectionist nature I wasn’t able to leave them incorrectly knitted so I learned how to rip back just one section of the cable (once about 15 rows, yikes) and fix it without ripping back the entire sweater. Annoying at the time but a super useful thing to learn!

Grainline Studio | Brooklyn Tweed Stonecutter

Check out those pretty angled side cables! I didn’t make any changes to the body of the sweater, I’m pretty lucky in that I almost always get gauge with the recommended yarn and needles. I had thought about lengthening the sweater a tiny bit but I’m really glad I didn’t as I love this length. It’s perfect for a tank and jeans, and if I wear it with a button down shirt just the right amount pokes out from the hem.

Grainline Studio | Brooklyn Tweed Stonecutter

After knitting all those cables on the body, the sleeves were slightly boring and I had to focus really hard to keep my count for the cabling straight. I noticed on Ravelry that a few people went down in the sleeve size, which I considered, but ultimately decided that on a looser sweater like this the sleeve size was pretty nice. There’s plenty of room if you want to layer over a long sleeved shirt, but they’re slim enough that they fit into a coat with no trouble.

Grainline Studio | Brooklyn Tweed Stonecutter

I love how the cables come up from the ribbing on the sleeve, such a pretty detail!

Grainline Studio | Brooklyn Tweed Stonecutter

One change I did make was to the neckline. I knit the second smallest size because it corresponded with my hip measurement, but that left me with about 6″ of ease at the top of the sweater which is fine, because you all know I love me some ease, but the only thing I wasn’t loving was the neckline. In combo with a small bust measurement I also have pretty narrow shoulders and those combined made the neckline a bit wider than I thought I could easily layer with different garments. To remedy the wide neckline I added a 2×2 rib binding that echoes the hem and cuffs while also closing the neckline a bit. I really like this and I’m definitely glad I did it!

Grainline Studio | Brooklyn Tweed Stonecutter

The back, same as the front. Now lets talk about the yarn for a minute. A lot of people asked me about working with Shelter. I’m no yarn expert, but the way it was made means it doesn’t have a lot of give while you’re working with it. Occasionally this, combined with a million cables, made my hands hurt a bit and required some knitting breaks. It was also a bit drying on the hands so I kept some of my fav hand lotion near while working. Other than that I had no trouble with the yarn breaking, probably because I’m not a tight knitter. I was a little worried about the softness of the yarn and if it would be scratchy while wearing it but one or two of you told me that it softens up quite a bit upon blocking and I’m happy to report it really does! I have no trouble wearing it against my skin, and I even have weird sensitive skin. The yarn makes the sweater super warm and remarkably lightweight. I kind of think I’ll be knitting with Shelter again…

Grainline Studio | Brooklyn Tweed Stonecutter

Seriously I LOVE this sweater so so much and I’m so happy with the knitting process and the result! Do you guys ever feel like a designer is designing just for you? I kind of feel that way about Michele, I love pretty much everything she puts out. I’m trying to decide between Ondawa and Exeter for my next project, though I’m sure I’ll knit them both so it’s just which one I think I need sooner rather than later!

Grainline Studio | Brooklyn Tweed Stonecutter

Last but not least, my outtake of the shoot. Heather, this ubiquitous blogger with fall leaf is especially for you!

34 replies on “Brooklyn Tweed Stonecutter

• emily

Lovely. I splurged on enough Shelter for an Exeter while I was at Purl Soho last weekend. I’m totally obsessed with that cardigan! Now I’m racing to finish an Acer cardigan I started back in August . . . sleeves are so boring, but I’ve told myself I can’t cast on Exeter until I finish the Acer sleeves, which makes for excellent motivation!

• Robyn

You will have this forever, congrats! It looks like you did a really nice job seaming, too. Now don’t you want a cropped sweater? LOL I’m knitting Ondawa currently, with Shelter.
    Maybe you’ve already tried this, but wood cubic needles really help with my hand soreness. I think I use cheap ones from Knitters Pride (?), they are really smooth and pointy so don’t worry that they will slow you down. Sometimes I alternate with metal and the gauge is the same.

• Michelle

It’s gorgeous! I am a sucker for cabling and this is truly a masterpiece of lapped and braided stitches. I don’t think you could go wrong with either of the designs you have on-deck. It’s going to be a cold winter, and wool sweaters are a girls number 1 line of defense!

• Liz

Jen, this is so beautiful! Stonecutter has been in my Ravelry favorites for awhile, but I’ve decided it’s going to be my next big project after the holidays! ps. I just have to say how much I love your work – I’m always so inspired by seeing what you’re working on and your patterns & sew-alongs are so well done! I have an Alder cut out on my table and can’t wait to dig in!

• annekecaramin

Gorgeous! I’m working up the courage to make this (I want one in moss green) by tackling the dryad scarf first and thankfully I seem to like knitting cables. I was curious to see how this worked out for you, it looks amazing!

• Kelly

It’s so amazing Jen! I am so impressed. It will be a while before I attempt something like this. I LOVE Ondawa, so cool. I am looking for a pattern for a big slouchy cardigan that is beginner friendly, I am working on a sweater for my little and it actually is starting to look like a sweater, so I’m feeling confident, haha.

• A

Yeaah! So nice!
    Michelle Wang is really on point isn’t she. I can’t wait to finish and wear this sweater myself (bought the pattern when it came out and still haven’t even bought the yarn much less cast on, but I just know my future self has this sweater so it’s ok).

• BusyLizzie

What a gorgeous sweater – my queue has now grown even longer with this and the other two you are planning to knit! I love knitting cables and this looks like it would be a great knit, I love the side detail too.

• sallie

Jen!!!! It’s GORGEOUS!!! Wow! Just so so SO beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing – I probably sound like a total nerd, but I’ve seriously been waiting with bated breath for this post!! Haha! You should be so proud of all your hard work – this is most definitely a gorgeous heirloom piece! I actually also really like Brooklyn Tweed’s yarns – although to be fair I haven’t knitted with too many others, but they really do become quite soft and springy after blocking and so very very warm!
    You’ve definitely inspired me to give some complicated cable knits a go! I love all of Michelle Wang’s designs as well, and Ondawa is definitely on my ‘to knit’ list one of these days. As is her ‘wickerwork’ sweater for Quince & co. Actually that might be next on my list once I finish the sweater I’m working on…

• Heather Lou

This is what I actually said out loud when I saw this pop up in my feed: “Oh awesome, she FINISHED it and it looks so great!” Then I realized I was talking out loud to myself about a sweater.

This is what I did when I read the last line: laughed out loud, heartily, for approximately 30 seconds.

I really have to start working on my BT sweater again…. it’s languishing!

• Dana

The sweater turned out beautiful! I really love the shape of it. Officially added this to my “to knit” list! Just curious on how you ended up blocking the sweater? Thanks!

• Angela Hickman

This is stunning, and it suits you so well. Adding the neck ribbing was genius — every time I wear a sweater with a too-wide neck I spend all my time trying to pull it up, which is both distracting and not very attractive.

Michelle Wang is such a consistently excellent and interesting designer. Her Wickerwork pullover is going to be my next sweater, I think. Ondawa would look amazing on you. What are you thinking colour-wise?

• devon

soooo amazing!!! this is my dream sweater, out of cream colored yarn [it would take me approximately 8 years to finish]. it’s beautiful!

• sj kurtz

Aw, man. I had to quit knitting, but I did make my dream sweater (the bohus Wild Apple) and a sweater version of Catkin.
    Yes, it took forever, and if you can keep the beasties from it, it will last forever too. And dayum but that is one handsome work!

• Nikki H.

I’ve so enjoyed following your progress for this sweater on Instagram, and I’m so excited that you finished! And it looks amazing. Those cables!!
    Of course I’ve been eyeing several BT patterns and yarn lately, thanks for giving your honest opinion. Btw my vote is for Exeter, it might be nice to switch it up after making a pullover to make a cardigan.

• Julie

Seriously. This is one gorgeous sweater and a job well done! Michelle Wang really is a genius. I am going to give Ondawa a try, even though I’ve never knit a cabled sweater before. Thanks for posting your comments about the blocked Shelter since I have been debating what yarn to use. I rarely make anything for myself, so I want the yarn to match this special occasion, within some budgetary constraints, of course. I am going to the Fibershed Marketplace (http://www.fibershed.com/) in Pt. Reyes this weekend to admire some locally produced wool and if I don’t find a yarn that is singing out to be made into my sweater, I may give Shelter a try.

• symondezyn

This is so eye-pleasingly amazing and gorgeous, you must be SOOOO proud (and you should be!!) I really really love the colour you chose – it is a perfect tone and texture to show off all those beautiful cables, and I especially love the diagonal design feature on the sides. I really think this sweater is a work of art – I could stare at it forever, like a painting by one of the Masters ^__^

• ebonyh

Oh man, that side view is gorgeous! I have all but abandoned knitting in favor of sewing. This sweater is inspiring me to get back to it, though my skills are probs not quite where they need to be to pull this one off.

• Sara Berkes

I feel like I already commented on this but I’m too lazy to look through and see… but just in case I didn’t: this is BEAUTIFUL. Gives me serious knitting envy, both that I could knit this well, and that I had the patience to work on anything that long (which I really, really truly don’t.) Though honestly I feel like if I spent almost a year knitting something that gorgeous, I’d be terrified to ruin it! I’m very spilly…