Laying out the Catnap Quilt

Grainline Studio | Laying out the Catnap Quilt

Lately I’ve been very busy working on things that are, as of yet, unbloggable, but I’m trying this new thing where I take at least one day off during the weekend to work on something totally unrelated to business. Over the past two weekends I’ve started working on my Catnap Quilt!

Grainline Studio | Laying out the Catnap Quilt

I ordered a full set of fat quarters of Lizzy House’s Catnap fabric line and cut each into 6 triangles using a scaled down version of this tutorial by Fancy Tiger Crafts. I LOVE how each of their quilts turned out and figured that since I have a similar color scheme I’d be in good hands.

Grainline Studio | Laying out the Catnap Quilt

Grainline Studio | Laying out the Catnap Quilt

As you can see, I had a LOT of help with laying out this quilt. It took me an entire day to lay out the triangles so that they looked random but without too many color or print pools. It was way more work than I had imagined it would be but I’m happy with the layout I finally came up with.

Grainline Studio | Laying out the Catnap Quilt

This past weekend I spent a chunk of Saturday assembling my quilt. I got about half way done and I’m hoping to finish assembling the quilt top next weekend if I have time. I can’t wait to have this quilt replace my worn out couch blanket, especially since the sun is now beaming down onto the couch in the late afternoons begging for a little sun break! I haven’t decided how on my backing or how I’ll be quilting it yet but I figure I still have time for that. Are any of you working on quilts right now? They’re kind of a fun change from garment sewing all the time!

This entry was posted in Progress Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Laying out the Catnap Quilt

1. Lynn says:

Just started my very first quilt ever! I decided that since I can sew just about any garment, sewing straight lines to make a quilt out of robust cotton should be more than doable.

• Jen says:

Good luck on your first quilt! Usually by the time I’m to the quilting part of the quilt I’m thinking “I WISH THIS WAS A GARMENT!!” Hahaha!

2. smseattle says:

Jen, I love your assistant! It’s great to have an assistant who wants to help with every step :)

3. Nini~ says:

I have tons of quilts in the works, right now I’m stitching and flipping triangles! Your triangle quilt is going my to do list…I love it! I’ve never stitched triangles together, do they need to be a specific angle for easy assembling?

• Jen says:

I followed the tutorial over at Fancy Tiger and they said to cut them all at a 60Ë™ angle so I did. Other than that, I’d assume that as long as they’re all cut at the same you’d be fine but don’t quote me on that!

4. Katie says:

Ah, that’s going to be so cute. Roamy will definitely claim it as her own! I just started my very first quilt, a housewarming gift for my sister. It’s way more work than I thought it’d be, give me garments any day ;)

• Jen says:

I hear you on that! This is my first quilt for myself and I’m all, FINALLY I get to keep all the hard work! I think I by the end I probably could have made at least 10 Archers in silk!

5. Jeanne S says:

I love this! I’m actually working on a Catnap quilt of my very own. Just finished the top and now have to decide how to back it.

• Jen says:

Ooh I can’t wait to see your quilt! Are you going to back it in catnap? I can’t decide if that’s tooo many cats or maybe it’s already got so many cats what’s a few more? Haha!

6. Sara C says:

I’ve been thinking about making a quilt for a while. I want one in chambray.
    This is my latest best idea:
    Fancy Tiger’s Four Winds Quilt
    Using the Robert Kauffman Railroad Denim/Union Chambray for the triangles and white for the background.

• Jen says:

Aw crap dude, now I want to copy you SO BAD!!! That quilt is amazing and in chambray? DREAMY! Dooooo itttttt, hahaha!

• blancapate says:

JUST THIS WEEK I thought of two quilt patterns that would look great in the Railroad Denim! I have no idea when I’ll get to making them, but have already bookmarked to order that fabric set. Especially with all those stripes .. I love it when quilts feature stripes in every which direction.

7. Ruth says:

Oooh its going to be gorgeous – Perfect to cuddle up with the fluff ball. I haven’t tried quilting, it seems like a big commitment. Sewing clothes has such instant gratification!

• Jen says:

I hear you on the garment gratification! I always think “oh I’ll make this quilt, no big deal” then a few weeks later I’m still working on it. Not the case with clothes!

8. Maddie says:

I’m not working on a quilt, but I am working on a project that is just as tedious, monotonous, but cathartic as sewing a quilt and it involves sew-on rhinestones!

• Jen says:

Oddly I don’t find this tedious or monotonous, it’s really exciting to watch all the colors come together. Good luck with your beading project!

9. kristin says:

Oh Jen this is going to be so good! Can’t wait to see – catnap is such a great line. I’m just getting back into sewing in general after baby, and most of it has been for kids while my shape gets back to “normal.” Can’t wait to make an Archer though!

• Jen says:

I couldn’t believe how awesome Catnap was when I saw it! I can’t believe you have energy for kids/new baby AND sewing…how do you do it? I’d be passed out on the floor in a pile of fabric with kids crawling on me!!

10. dokucug says:

This is going to be so gorgeous! Also, I’m glad to hear you’re taking a day off once in a while!

I just finished one quilt, and have another planned. And another that I’m working on completely by hand. You’re right – it makes a nice change from garment sewing once in a while. Sometimes it’s nice to just sew a few straight lines!

• Jen says:

Thanks! I’m so impressed you’re doing an entire quilt by hand! That’s one of those things I have in the back of my head as something I’ll maybe get to before I croak but woah!! Another thing I like about quilting is seeing how all the colors come together and being excited to attach another color. Garments are one, maybe 3 colors at most usually so that’s also a nice change!

11. miscmarsha says:

Looks great! Will you be posting any quilting tutorials or tips? I currently have three quilts in progress, but I’ve only gone so far as to cut them out. They’re just sitting in a bin, waiting until I have the confidence to start on them.

• Jen says:

Thanks! I probably won’t be posting any tips, this is only my 3rd quilt so I don’t know what I could offer. Definitely check out the Fancy Tiger tutorial I linked above if you’re going to do triangles, other than that, if I have q’s I just ask my mom who is a super amazing quilter!

12. Amy Alan says:

I love it! Quilting is a nice break when you’re just chain stitching pieces together. I try to always have one easy one in the works, so that I have something mindless to work on when I want to sew, but I don’t want to think. It’s going to be so cute!

• Jen says:

Totally agree! I thought I was going to be in chaining territory with this one but duh, you have to press each seam before you can attach the next triangle. Total Jen Fail, haha!!

13. Julie says:

The fabrics are so lovely! And clearly, there must be a whiff of catnip in the fabric, with all that cat love!

14. I’ve just purchased all the fabric for a catnap quilt too! This will be my first quilt and I’m using the most recent Fancy Tiger quilt pattern. My roommate and a friend are also making it so we’re having a little quilt-a-long. I’m excited, and I can’t wait to see how yours turns out. I’m tempted to get the full fat quarter pack to replicate yours, to be honest!

• Jen says:

That is going to be an awesome combination!! I just saw that quilt pattern for the first time when Sara posted it above and I’m already trying to figure out what I need another quilt for. So awesome that you are making it with friends, love that!

15. risa west says:

Looks great! I have a 3D pinwheel quilt top done… just need to quilt it to the backing and bind it.

16. lisa g says:

i keep saying i’m going to make a quilt but yet… it hasn’t happened. yours is so cute! i could really use a new cozy couch blanket too!

17. Laura Mae says:

There must be something in the air – I just pulled out a quilting project that has been hibernating for some time! Happy stitching!

18. christinehaynesdotcom says:

I love it! I love this collection so much that I too ordered a bunch of the prints to make a quilt! I have to finish the one I’m already in the midst of and hopefully mine will be half as cute as yours!

19. Stephanie says:

I am not a quilter, but this could definitely turn me… I am so going to buy every colour of the kitty fabric. Too cute.

And your kitty is way cute.

20. Fooniks says:

I have never ever made a quilt before. But recently I have this huge desire to make one. Unfortunately right now I am swamped with so many projects that it’s impossible to squeeze in something so time consuming as a quilt. Maybe I should do something small to scratch that itch. Maybe placemats or something like that.

Can’t wait to see your quilt when it’s done :)

***
    Fooniks

• Jen says:

Something small is the perfect way to get into quilting! The first things I made were from the Denyse Schmidt Quilts book. So many cute little projects for around the house!

21. Claire says:

LOVE IT! I have been planning my first quilt for a while, and pretty much everything I’ve pinned for inspiration has been an equilateral triangle quilt. I haven’t started yet because I keep on changing my mind on fabrics, but maybe buying from one line is the way to go! Kitties FTW!

• Jen says:

So weird, I help my mom pick out quilt fabrics all the time (she’s constantly quilting something) and we’ve never ended up with all the fabrics from one line before. It was definitely nice to not have to think at all!! MEOW!

22. That cat print is adorable. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. More piccies of your kitty,so cute!

23. gingermakes says:

This is so cute! I love the colors! Can’t wait to see this!

24. Kelly says:

I love everything about this!! Roamy is clearly invested in this project. I actually am working on a quilt right now! It’s for my good friend who is getting married this summer, and it’s been going okay so far… I have the top done and need to figure out what happens next. I don’t think I’m a quilter at heart, but I do want to make a blanket for our couch, and maybe our bed too. We’ll see how this goes!

• Jen says:

She’s my quality control, not sure what I’d do without that cat ;) Is the quilt you’re working on the one in the little photo from a January post? If so I LOVE it!! So nice of you also, you have a very lucky friend!

25. mariacshell says:

Jen- I am doing just the opposite. I am a professional quilt maker who is taking a break by making clothes! I started out sewing clothes when I was very young, and then went crazy over quilts, and now I am back to clothes. It is really interesting to see where my quilting skills have improved my garment construction skills and where I really need more practice. Quiltmaking has done nothing to improve my ability to work with knits! Good luck with the quilt. It looks great.

• Jen says:

I love hearing the other side of this! Quilting is such another beast, but such a fun one! I was noticing how I’m so much better at matching points than previously in my life (the one other time I tried to match triangles), probably something to do with sewing a zillion button down shirts over the past year.

Your quilts are totally gorgeous by the way, I was just checking them out and all I can say is wow! I love the color choices especially…so good I almost can’t handle it!!!

26. Anne Marie says:

I’m currently working on a “mama quilt” for my best friend – she’s about to have her first baby! Personally, I love to back my quilts in a cozy flannel. (That’s the part that will be against your skin and trapping in all that cozy heat!) Be sure to choose a quality batting as well. It can make the difference in your quilt feeling cozy or kind of fluffy with no substance. Glad to hear you’re enjoying it! As a quilter, garments are so intimidating to me, so I’m encouraged that you’re trying (and liking!) something new!

• Jen says:

That’s one lucky friend! My mom (who is allllways quilting) has some favorite quilt batting she gets at a quilt store around here so I’m going to follow her lead on that one. It’s not cheap but she says it’s the best! I can’t wait to finish this one so I can start on my next quilt, just in time for summer, haha! Also if you’re quilting, you can totally do garments! Just start basic and it’s almost the same thing, plus you’ll be wondering what the deal with our huge seam allowances are so you’re already ahead of the game!

27. Rebekah says:

This is beautiful! I’m working on two different quilts right now, but both use only squares and rectangles—triangles still intimidate me a little, though the tutorial you link to has me inspired.

• Jen says:

Thanks! I was just checking out your site and the Quilts for Kids looks really interesting, I’m going to check it out. Also your triangle quilt inspiration…dreamy! I really really love flying geese quilts. Need to add one of those to my list!

28. Katie Emma says:

I’m making my first quilt, using scrap cotton leftover from other projects or taken from some pretty novice garments I never wear. I think buying a set of fat quarters will be the way to go for my next quilt, since my fabrics don’t exactly coordinate well. I’m glad I am doing this though because I got to see if I liked quilting without a huge investment in fabric.

29. blancapate says:

Jen I love this so much! I’ve been dying to make a triangle quilt. Those colors are gorgeous together. I hear you on the time commitment. I’ve averaged about a quilt a year in the past 3 years – I’d love to make so many more, but every time I start one I always think it will take waaay less time to make then it ends up taking. Makes sense why quilting bees were always so popular in the past – it’s a big project for one person to take on!! Yours is beautiful – can’t wait to see it together with the backing and quilting.

• Jen says:

Thanks, I love seeing the colors come together! I’m super impressed at your 1 quilt a year for 3 years, that’s flying in my opinion!! Don’t you wish there was some secret way to make the hours in a day double? More time for more projects!

30. Julianne says:

I’m using those Fancy Tiger quilts as inspiration as well. I’m going to make a quilted duvet, so we can pop the comforter in when it’s cold and have just the fabric for summer. I’m not using batting, but I’ll have the quilt-top, the backing for that part (I’ll quilt through these two layers), then the space for the comforter, then a pretty backing for the duvet.

I haven’t done the piecing yet, so I can’t decide if I’m going to have the rows of triangles line up (like yours) or offset them half a triangle so that all the points in a single column are pointing in the same direction. Decisions, decisions!

So how are you going to quilt yours?

• Jen says:

I’m so interested in how this plan of yours will work! So the top is a quilt (fabric and backing but no batting) and there’s a back sewn on that for the pocket for the duvet…hmmm… I’ve been thinking about making a duvet cover forever but it seemed crazy. I know they’re just big pockets but I wish they could be more anchored down around the comforter!

One thing to consider about the quilt style I’m making, you need to have 6 triangle points come together perfectly so if you’re not a perfectionist or you’re just CRAZY precise my method is cool, but if you’re not, I’d go triangles with points in the middle. I definitely wish I’d thought of this before I hacked up my fat quarters… :/

31. misscrayolacreepy says:

LOVE!!!!!!

32. Amy says:

What a lovely weekend project idea. I plan on making one some day… and just started gathering some inspiration. (Do you have any inspirational books you’d recommend?) I think it will make a great project to work on that doesn’t have any pressure… just pure relaxing stitching!

33. Amy says:

p.s. I love your new blog design… (I’m a huge fan of the Archer font and am tempted to put it everywhere.)