Autumn Wardrobe | Canadian Socks

The first pair of socks from my Autumn Wardrobe Plan are complete and so excitingly named the Canadian Socks (ravelry link), because they were knit in Canada. I also think they look Canadian with the red and natural base. These were a pretty quick knit, I cast on in the airport on the way to Victoria and finished with enough time to take some photos down by the ocean. The socks are made with my all time favorite sock pattern, Priscilla’s Dream Socks, they fit great every time and now that I basically have the pattern memorized they’re even easier. The yarn is Knitpicks Stroll in Scarlet and Jack Rabbit Heather and I love this yarn. It washes up so soft and warm…a winter dream. I cast on for my second pair but didn’t get much knitting time. I traded my window seat with a mom so she could sit next to her young daughter and got squished between two major armrest hoggers. You need at least a little elbow room to knit dudes, give a girl some space!

We also saw these Harlequin Ducks down by the beach. I don’t know if you know but I am sort of obsessed with seeing new animals in the wild. These ducks were new to me when I first spotted them the day before at the tide pools on Botanical Beach in Port Renfrew. I just started a digital animal list (which I like to call the Animalist, share the L) because hauling around a large notebook is not the most practical thing, and this way I can fight the urge to plaster this blog with every image of new animals I see and post them there instead. Every time I edit photos of animals, and I take a lot of them, I have to have a very serious conversation with myself about posting. Do people care? Probably not. Now I have the Animalist! Yesssss, go animals!

This entry was posted in Knitted Garments and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Autumn Wardrobe | Canadian Socks

1. martha says:

Love the socks!
    And I care about the animals. We are similarly obsessed with seeing new ones in the wild.

2. smunch says:

LOVE these.

3. Jane says:

Those socks are great.
    Please post the photos- another animal (bird) obsessive here. Martha your photos are great :)

4. gingermakes says:

These socks are beautiful! And I always LOVE any and all animal photos– keep ‘em comin’!

5. carolinefryar says:

Those are gorgeous! Congratulations!

6. sallie says:

Oooh cozy socks! I love them! And who doesn’t like pictures of animals… I mean really!

7. Stephanie says:

Cute socks!! I love the colors and they look super comfy… and Canadian. It looks like you had a fantastic trip!

I like the animal photos! Eric and I are the same way – he always asks me if I have my wildlife eyes ready. Harlequin ducks are gorgeous.

• I like the term wildlife eyes, I’m going to steal that! When we’re driving in more rural areas or in Northern Wisconsin I always say that I have my deer eye ready to keep a lookout on the road. Ha!

8. Jen says:

they look amazing! man, i wish i had the patience for knitting.

also, i am down with hearing about your animal sightings too. i have a couple of people at work who i exchange sightings with! i’m trying to identify a duck i saw yesterday, going to have to crack out the bird books.

• I’m so pumped that so many people are into the animal sightings! It’s so hard to identify them sometimes, small variations and such, but it’s so fun. Did you ever figure out what type of duck it was?

9. Caitlin says:

They look great! I love a red accent, especially on socks. This is sport weight not fingering, right? I don’t think I can do anymore fingering weight socks for awhile, takes too long and I get SSS along with WTES (weaving the ends syndrome). Actually I just made up that last acronym but it’s pretty accurate.

• Woah sorry, took me weeks to reply. They are sport weight, the hands can’t handle the fingering weight…pain!!! I totally get WTES so bad, I have to be watching a movie while I do it or it will sit unfinished for a long long time

10. Those socks look so warm and comfy. I love the idea of your animalist, it makes me want to start my own. Like you said, go animals!

11. Pingback: weekending - waysideviolet - waysideviolet