a trio of socks

sock 1 | sock 2 | sock 3

I used to think it was crazy that anyone would knit their own socks. Literally, totally insane. Then I knit a pair a while back because I felt like, in order to call myself a knitter, I needed to make one pair of socks if only to be able to say I did it. Of course since I had made socks, I wore them around and it didn’t take long for me to realize why people make their own socks. They are so toasty and comfortable and fit perfectly and last a long time. It’s sort of hard to find socks that fit right when you are an adult with a size 6 foot. So bunchy. Anyway, I found myself reaching for my one pair of navy blue wool handknit socks again and again. Well that and my one pair of SmartWool socks, but those have come and gone and my handknit socks are still going strong, so I decided that it was time to make a few more pairs.

I’m sort of not really into most self striping yarn, the stripes are so short that all the colors get pretty jumbled together and even though I love stripes, it’s just not really my thing. When I found this yarn, Felici Sport by KnitPicks, it was all I could do not to order every single color. Got to be responsible and pay the bills you know (zzzz…boring), but someday I aim to have a pair in every colorway. Besides the fact that the colors are pretty much the best, the yarn itself is super soft and silky to the touch but gets even softer after a run through the washing machine. Boo yah Knitpicks, doing it right, keeping my feet warm and cozy in style, with a little help from my knitting hands of course. I need some of the credit! The pattern I used for all 3 is Priscilla’s Dream Socks¬†which I really like a lot because it’s easy to get a sock that fits your foot perfectly. I kept thinking that I was going to try a new sock technique, but I sort of figured, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it? I had memorized the pattern by the second of the 6 socks and that made it perfect for knitting while watching netflix, sitting in the car, at a bar and waiting for large PSD files to render. Next up on the knitting block is a hat and a tea cozy, but first I need to get some sewing done.

This entry was posted in Knitted Garments and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to a trio of socks

1. lauren says:

I love these and I want to make some too!

2. Meghan says:

These are so cute! I love the stripes and will definitely have to try this yarn out for myself. I have yet to knit a pair of socks for myself

3. Kristen says:

You are not suffering from a shortage of toasty toes, that’s for sure! My fave sock method is Toe-up Sock Pattern Generator. I love knitting toe-up because you can knit and knit and knit until you’ve used up almost half the ball, bind off the cuff and use the remainder of the ball for the next sock. I always get such tall socks this way. Going to have to check out this Knitpicks sock yarn now!

• jen | grainline says:

OH shoot, this generator looks amazing, thanks! I have tons of yarn scraps left after these socks and they’re driving me nuts, it would be awesome to not have to have leftovers.

4. Lavender says:

I can’t believe that’s self-striping yarn! LOVE the socks.

5. Caitlin says:

You have tiny pixie feet! I am so jealous. Mine are boats. Anyways… Your stripy socks have really inspired me and I’m expecting two different colorways in the mail from KnitPicks any day now. I’m so glad you enjoy knitting socks now. There’s just something great about it, huh? I’m kind of addicted to it, myself.

• jen | grainline says:

It’s a blessing and a curse. The blessing being that I can fit into children’s shoes? Wait, no. Haha, anyway…which colorways did you get? Can’t wait to see yours, it’s going to make me want more.

6. Ginger says:

These are so cute! I want them! I’ve been in the who-knits-socks camp for some time– it was just so hard to imagine spending all that time on something for… feet. But these are so cute that I really want a pair!

• jen | grainline says:

Thanks! I have to admit, I’m having a hard time with the fact that they’re getting crazy dirty in our apartment. It actually hurts a little. Are you a knitter? For some reason I can’t remember. I’m living in an ice cream coma right now, going to blame it on that.

7. Julie says:

Those socks are all so awesome! I love the bright colours, they are amazing.

8. kenzie says:

love them! I’ll have to check out that pattern. I’ve been tempted by that yarn, want to make a knitpicks order this week and I think I might sneak a skein in! :)

• jen | grainline says:

Ooh you should! They also make a fingering weight version of the yarn if you don’t like sport weight socks. I remember in your sock post you said you weren’t sure if you liked the feeling of the stitches on the bottom of your feet. I can’t really feel them, but my feet are really tough so I’m no judge.

9. Mardi says:

You’ve inspired me to get some of this yarn! Placed an order, having it delivered to a friend in NYC (they don’t do international – sad face) so I will be knitting away when I arrive tomorrow!

woo hoo!
    M x

• jen | grainline says:

Ooh exciting! Are you just going to NYC? I vaguely remember from twitter you are hitting a few cities? Maybe I am wrong. Blarg, bad memory.

10. Mariam says:

This is so great! Thank you so much for the link, I suspect a ball of this yarn will be in my hands soon…
    Your socks look so toasty! Hopefully you’ll motivate me to finally learn how to make some :)

11. caroline says:

These are really cute. I have attempted to knit socks a couple times, but get so frustrated because I always make a little mistake and give up. You know the whole casting on 60+ stitches turn me off from the project once the mistake is made… :(

12. Stephanie says:

I just placed my first ever order with KnitPicks. Looove your socks.

13. Caroline says:

So cute! I just ordered a set of 1s to make my boy a beanie, but after that I’m gonna use them to make socks. I’ve been eyeing up Etsy for awesome sock yarn!

14. Sarah says:

Lovely sock. I need to make them immediately. Also the yarn is on clearance!

15. M says:

You should never have posted these socks. I totally fell in love with the yarn, but I can’t get it in Germany. I’m so jealous!