Archer Variation No. 1

Grainline Studio | Archer Variation No. 1 | Sleeveless

I’m so excited to share the first Archer Button Up Shirt variation – sleeveless! I’ve been planning these variations for so long it feels great to get them done and wear them. We went over to the Beacon Hill Park in Victoria, BC to take some photos next to the giant rhododendron bushes growing there. This wasn’t even the largest one, it was crazy!

Grainline Studio | Archer Variation No. 1 | Sleeveless

I love how this variation of the Archer shirt turned out. It’s going to look great with the denim Maritime shorts I have planned. The fabric is a dream, super soft cotton ikat from B&J Fabrics. I can tell already that I’m going to be wearing this shirt a ton this summer.

Grainline Studio | Archer Variation No. 1 | Sleeveless

You might be thinking, “Jen, can’t you just leave off the sleeves?” You can but I have some slight pattern adjustments to share that will make your top fit better – since the pattern is drafted to include sleeves you may get some gaping at the armholes that we can avoid with minimal changes to the pattern.

Grainline Studio | Archer Variation No. 1 | Sleeveless

▲ The alterations are pretty basic. First you’re going to want to shorten the shoulder seam so that the top doesn’t extend past your shoulder. I shortened mine by 3/4″ but a good way to decide is if you’ve made an Archer with sleeves already, put it on and place a pin where you’d like the shirt to end. Then remove that much from the pattern. Blend this line down to nothing at the underarm as shown above.

▲ One more adjustment you may want to consider is removing a small wedge from the shirt back along the yoke seam line at the armhole. Since the pattern is originally drafted to include sleeves the armholes aren’t contoured – this adds a bit of shape to follow the natural curve of your upper back keeping any armhole gaping to a minimum. I removed about 3/8″ from mine but this is something you can adjust as you go along.

▲ After you have made these alterations, sew everything together according to the instructions in the Archer pattern. When you get to the sleeves you’re going to finish those with bias binding. This is the method I use, I know it says necklines but it’s the same for armholes. Promise promise.

Grainline Studio | Archer Variation No. 1 | Sleeveless

If you have any questions just let me know in the comments below, as usual. Hope this inspires some sleeveless Archers…I know mine is already a favorite. If you make one, don’t forget to post it to the Flickr group so I can check it out, I’m nosy!

This entry was posted in Archer Sew Along, Sewn Garments and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Archer Variation No. 1

1. Clare says:

Am yet to even make my first proper archer, but when i do (and when it becomes summer again), i’ll be sure to whip one of these bad boys up

2. Very nice, I see you did something snazzy with the pockets too. Is that a separate piece topstitched on?

• Oh yeah, I snazzed the hell out of that pocket! Hahaha, I actually have a post with the pocket info for tomorrow after getting some q’s about it. It’s all one piece.

3. Carolyn says:

Gorgeous fabric! Archer looks really great sleeveless!

4. I really really like this!

5. whitney deal says:

i love this! the fabric is pretty rad and a sleeveless button-up is my fav!

6. tatimaioTatiana says:

I loved those pockets, how did you make them?

7. NewRibena says:

This is great…thanks!

8. Kelly says:

Thanks for including the little alterations! The fabric you chose is just perfect for a sleeveless top.

9. Sarah says:

Love this version!

10. emily marie says:

Awesome, as always. Love the rhodie background, too!

11. Nicole says:

great fabric! Perfect easy breezy summer top :-)

12. sewamysew says:

Love this fabric! I haven’t seen an ikat with those colours in it anywhere. I also love what you did with the top stitched detail on the pockets, great variation. Thanks for the tip!

13. Kieran says:

This might be a silly question…but what do you mean by taking out a small wedge from the centre back by the yoke seamline? There isn’t a seamline at the centre of the yoke…and I’m confused. I love your sleeveless verson though, it’s making me wish it was coming into summer here!

• Totally not a silly question at all, I did a terrible job explaining what I was trying to say (airplane brain). I’ve changed the wording a bit so it should make more sense now. You want to take a wedge out of where the center back pattern piece attaches to the yoke near the armhole. It’s greyed out on the back piece above. Hope that makes more sense!

14. Erin says:

Hey! I live in Victoria! Not to be a creepy creep but I’ve been following your blog for a while and everytime you post Victoria pictures my heart goes pang. Love your designs, just finished the tiny pocket tank and have moved on to a ridiculously tailored skirt. Also, everytime you mention where you ordered some awesome fabric from and then I check and the shipping is insane to get it to Canada, I feel sad for myself. That sentence was embarrassing, grammar-wise.

• Ha, not creepy at all! I love Victoria, I’m sad that was probably my last trip there, at least to see my sister. My brother-in-law’s postdoc is over and they have to be out of Canada at the end of the summer. I’m going to miss all those crazy chip flavors! Bummer about the fabric, it’s crazy, everything costs so much to cross the imaginary line dividing the countries…fabric, plane tickets, hudson’s bay goods…hahaha!

15. Pingback: Tutorial: Sleeved-to-sleeveless shirt pattern adaptation | Sewing Patterns

16. gingermakes says:

Ahhh! This is so super cool! I love the ikat you used! It looks awesome!

17. maddie says:

I love this variation and I also love how you explained how you made the alterations to the pattern. Looking good!

18. Stephanie says:

Such a great variation and thanks for the revision instructions. I’ve noticed in the past when I’ve made something sleeveless there was always a bit of wonkiness in the shoulder area. Love that fabric.

19. Amy says:

I love this fabric! Great tip on the armhole wedge. I just had to do that on a tank top that I made from a shirt. Took some experimenting but it fits so much better!

20. This is such a great print and the pocket stitching is great!

21. Becca says:

This looks great! Definitely my next pattern purchase! Should you buy the same amount of yardage as you need for the original shirt?

22. Nice, I love it! The pattern on the fabric is oh so nice. Thanks for that tip! I have a q: how do u know which tops u need to adjust like this? Is it all that were made to have sleeves but you decided to take them off? Or just some?

23. Portia says:

Love that Ikat! Man I need to get some sewing done so I can clear my decks and start considering new projects. This being one AND….did you see what Dixie did with your Scout Woven Tee pattern as part of The Refashioners series we spoke about?

Definately gonna have to get the Scout Tee now!

Px