A Green Silk Crepe de Chine Archer

Grainline Studio | Green Silk Archer | Photos by Julia Stotz

Have you guys ever worn anything made from washed silk crepe de chine? It feels like pajamas but you look like you dressed up, I highly recommend it. I love the versatility of this pattern, I think it looks just as good in silk as it does in plaid flannel cotton, which is very exciting to me.

Grainline Studio | Green Silk Archer | Photos by Julia Stotz

This is View B of the Archer pattern and I’m really surprised by how much I love it. I know that sounds weird since I designed it, but hear me out. I design for myself a bit, of course, but I mostly try to think about what other people would want to wear. I didn’t really think I was a gathered back person (can you tell how I’m avoiding the word “ruffle”) but eh, I sort of am, especially in this color / fabric combo.

Grainline Studio | Silk Archers

I’ve been seeing a lot of people posting about struggling with sewing silk button down shirts around the internet lately and some interesting techniques popping up here and there. Just wanted to let you guys know that as part of the Archer Sew Along and in collaboration with Britex Fabrics (who provided that amazing rope print silk up there) I’ll be having a special post devoted to my tips of sewing with silk. There are some solid tips I’ve picked up through work and just plain old sewing a lot of silk, hopefully they help out!

This entry was posted in Sewn Garments and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to A Green Silk Crepe de Chine Archer

1. Molly says:

Very pretty shirt, I can’t wait to see the rope print one!

2. Julie Dickover says:

I love that! Where did you find that fabric? I’ve been trying to find a nice black washed silk crepe de chine on the inter webs but am having trouble.

• Sorry to disappoint, but I found the fabric here in Chicago at Vogue Fabrics. I agree, it is hard to find washed silk crepe de chine, which never makes sense to me, it’s such a great fabric! If I see any I’ll be sure to let you know.

3. That’s beautiful. I love the colour – and the RUFFLE

4. sallie says:

Beautiful! I love washed silks – they feel sooo buttery soft! And I can’t wait to hear about some of your sewing tips, yours are always the best!

5. Steph says:

Yes!!!! My stash is stuffed with georgette and crepe de chine and I really need some hand holding. I’m excited you’re going to make one in silk and share your tips

6. Olga says:

I see what you mean about “not being a gathered back person”. While I am partial to tie-collar blouses, I usually don’t find myself drawn to ruffles on shirts (ironically). It is such an unexpected detail on this type of shirt though, and I actually think that the back gathering makes this shirt look more modern (I used to have a silk button-down when I was in high school in the early nineties; with complementary button-covers, too).

7. nettie says:

I already have Archer all taped together. You are seriously tempting me to abandon my work and get STRAIGHT to my machine!! I am in love with that ruffle!!

8. Helen says:

This is lovely and wow – that rope print silk is just gorgeous! I don’t have the pattern yet, but will follow the sewalong anyway, as I struggle a bit with silk, although love wearing it.

9. kristonlion says:

OOOOooo! you might have got me with pajamas! I’m definitely excited to follow the sewalong to decide if this is still way out of my league :)

10. Grace says:

I am lookingforward to hearing more about sewing with silks!

11. Pingback: Archer Sewalong - Inspiration - mabelmakes

12. anto says:

Archer looks like the perfect piece for everyday wear and I love that you can get such different looks just by changing the fabric. I am super excited to follow the sewalong! Gosh, that silk is gorgeous!

13. gingermakes says:

This is gorgeous! I love the back…. err… just the back, too, although I’m not a frilly or ruffly person, either. I like that it’s sort of a surprise when you turn around– always fun to have an unexpected detail!