Archer Sew Along Announcement

Grainline Studio | Archer Sew Along | Starts March 18th

Okay so it’s official guys, the Archer Sew Along will commence on Monday March 18! During this sew along I’ll be walking you through each step in detail with photos and possibly a video on that pesky collar insertion, so if you’ve been feeling nervous about sewing a button up shirt, have no fear, I’ve got you covered. Like I always say, it’s easy once you know the right way to do it, promise promise!

The March 18th start date gives you two weeks to gather up your supplies and get ready to roll and gets you a button down shirt just in time for spring or fall, depending on your hemisphere. In order to make your own Archer Button Up Shirt, you’ll need the following items…

• Archer Button Up Pattern
  • Fabric – Yardage is indicated on the pattern. Possible fabrications include chambray, cotton, shirting, flannel, lightweight denim, chiffon, charmeuse, crepe de chine, the list goes on. This pattern is pretty versatile.
  • Fusible Interfacing – Try to match the weight of the interfacing to the weight of the fabric you’re using. My favorite interfacings are either woven or tricot. I usually avoid the non-woven types as those tend to give a cardboard or papery feel to the finished garment.
  • Buttons – You can use either 1/2″ or 5/8″ buttons, either will look good.
  • Thread – To match your fabric or go contrasting if you’re daring!

I’ll be doing a more detailed post on the supplies you’ll need between now and then, including my favorite interfacings for shirts, so if you have any questions about supplies you’d like answered, leave a comment below and I’ll include it in that post. Time to start planning and if you like, grab a badge from my sidebar to add to your blog. I’ve also started up a Flickr group for the Archer Sew Along where we can share tips, photos and ask more questions so feel free to join up there!

This entry was posted in Archer Sew Along and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Archer Sew Along Announcement

1. Lucia says:

That’s great. Thank you :)

2. i didn’t wait & am hoping to have my first Archer finished between today and tomorrow evenings but I will be checking out your sewalong posts because your tips&tricks are always so helpful :-)

3. ZoSews says:

Gah, I wish I had time to do this! Will be useful for future though ;)

4. desiree says:

Yayyyy!!!! Got my pattern and fabric ready … This will be my first button up shirt … I hope it’ll turn out okay …
    But I’ve sewn almost all your patterns and they turned out so nice despite me not being a good sewer … Thanks Jen!!!

5. Rochelle New says:

How long do we have to make it? I’m hoping I can squeeze this in among two other sew alongs :)

6. Emily says:

I am so excited about this – it’ll be the perfect reprise between bridesmaid dresses (which have to be done but are driving me mad!)

7. Norma says:

Perfect timing! Looking forward to it!

8. sarah says:

thinking i might have to go buy some fabric and participate in my very first sew along! great timing :) oh and i need to buy and assemble the pattern. thanks so much jen

9. Yay! I don’t know if I’ll be able to sew along but I will definitely be paying close attention. Ever since you announced this pattern I’ve been itching for a few of these in my spring wardrobe!

10. Ally D says:

I am so excited! Thank you so much! I’ve never sewn a shirt with a collar before, and I felt so overwhlemed by the prospect!!

11. shivani says:

Thanks for hosting a sew along, Jen! I’m so looking forward to it – the timing is perfect.

12. Jane says:

This sounds like fun. Not sure if I will be able to keep up with the pace but am going to give it a go.

13. nettie says:

I have my pattern!! But no printer ink! WAH!!!

14. Chloe says:

I am hoping to join in but only bought it today so will have to get up to speed quickly! My question was – how do you feel about this in a knit fabric? I have a shirt I love which is jade green but in a t-shirt type material. Thoughts on this? I will likely try and make this as-is first to get a sense of the fit, but then maybe attempt my dream soft and stretchy shirt in a knit?

Also – I will likely need an FBA. *sigh* Will you be including instructions on adjusting fit lik that in your sewalong? If not I might try and work on an Archer FBA post before then…

15. Pingback: Charlotte Ginger Archer | Sown Brooklyn

16. Amy says:

I’m so happy to be doing this…thanks! It’s my first sew-along ever.

17. Just bought the pattern! Desperately need the adorable gathered back version in my closet – can’t wait to get started!!!

18. Kelly says:

Hooray! I’m going to do this! I’ve always wanted to do a sew-along, but nothing ever worked out before. Thank you for hosting!

19. sewamysew says:

Popping my sewalong cherry. So glad you are my first …

20. Marie F. says:

Thank you for the sew-along! I should be able to follow it! For the fabric, I think a will try to find either a nice chambray, or a light denim. Then after I will probably try I nice printed silk, or cotton/silk mix. Can’t wait!

21. in in.. thats to Sown .. yeahh.. getting the fabric now

22. Can’t wait!I have to admit I was a little intimidated about sewing a button down shirt for the first time!This is going to be so helpful!I really love your new pattern!I included it in my latest post so more people can find out about it!

23. Pingback: Sewing Plans - mabelmakes

24. Pingback: Paper, Plaid, Silk | Did You Make That?

25. Pingback: Archer Sew-Along! |