Owl Baby Quilt

Grainline Studio | Owl Baby Quilt
You guys, awesome news! My sister is pregnant! I really wanted to be the first one to send her something for the baby and I succeeded in my mission with this owl quilt. It helps that I bought the fabric a few months ago (dude, you’ve got to be prepared for this stuff) but this was really a quick project.

Grainline Studio | Owl Baby Quilt
The pattern was from a quilting magazine my mom just bought, Quilty. Pretty basic, though I’ll admit that once I found out that the pattern was designed by the owner of Quiltology here in Chicago, I almost abandoned the pattern. I had a HORRIBLE experience with the owner a few years ago that I will not forgive. Anyway…perhaps we should talk about my extreme grudge holding on another day.

Grainline Studio | Owl Baby Quilt
Personal issues aside, the quilt turned out pretty awesome, I mean, the owls don’t hurt, those suckers are cute as hell and perfect for the temporary “it” status of the baby. I promise I won’t call it “it” once we find out what “it” is Kari. I have a pretty bad habit of calling all babies “it” unless I know them personally.

Grainline Studio | Owl Baby Quilt
It took a long time to get this thing to Canada but it finally made it Friday. If you know of any awesome baby patterns for sewing or knitting, send them my way! I promise not to overwhelm you with photos of tiny little garments, or maybe I don’t promise. Hahaha, we’ll just have to see what happens.

This entry was posted in Sewn Other and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Owl Baby Quilt

1. Kari says:

overwhelm away with garments, I am greedy! :)

2. Vicki Kate says:

Congratulations Aunty and Kari! That’s a gorgeous blanket.

3. Hurrah for new babies. Congratulations. Gorgeous quilt…maybe you should knit a baby Owls sweater by Kate Davies to go with this. :-)

4. Marie says:

Oh how cute!!! Thanks so much for sharing…I have two very close friends who are pregnant and I want to make them something special too. This could well be it, thanks again!

5. Jacinta says:

Oh congrats to your sister and great job on the quilt … You could check out purlbee.com as they always have gorgeous baby things to sew and knit. :)

6. Sewbussted says:

Such a sweet gift. One that will become an heirloom. Make sure you make a label with your name and date for the quilt.

7. Gail says:

Squee! That is so darn cute!

8. martha says:

Yay! What fun! Congratulations to your sister!

Two of my favorite things I’ve knitted for my baby niece is this sweater: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/little-miss-vivi and this bonnet: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/modern-baby-bonnet (I trimmed the bonnet with some vintage fabric of my grandma’s and it was so much cuter than the knitted trim)

I think they’re both great neutral gender items, cute on my niece and I definitely would have put either on my own boys.

9. Caitlin says:

Lovely—what a lucky niece or nephew you have!

As for knitting patterns for little ones, I love the sweet Alfalfa Baby Hat pattern that Kelbourne Woolens released late last year: http://www.kelbournewoolens.com/blog/2012/10/new-free-pattern-alfalfa-baby-hat/. That pixie cap!

10. kmethers says:

This is so cute, I love the owl fabric! This isn’t a sewing or knit pattern but this is definitely the best baby outfit I’ve came across recently. http://pinterest.com/pin/98164466850111574/
    But then I don’t think there’s much cuter than babies in puffy baby suits… maybe that’s just me.

11. liza jane says:

Aww, awesome! I say overwhelm with photos of tiny garments, too. I am sewing little baby things at the moment. I have had a lot of luck using Winifred Aldrich’s Metric Pattern Cutting for Chldren’s and Baby Wear for basic things.

12. mokosha says:

sooo pretty.. few of my friends got babies, and i planed to make them some baby quilts, so thanks for the inspiration :)

13. indigorchid says:

Awww, yey Kari! Ooo, baby clothes. My favorite knitted baby thing is Aviatrix (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/aviatrix-baby-hat), stinkin cute and pretty easy, and well thought out. Yeah!

14. Megan says:

Oh my goodness! This is adorable and doesn’t look too terribly time consuming, as far as quilts go. I have a friend who is pregnant right now and was trying to find something to make that didn’t involve knitting/ crochet (yarn crafts and I are on a break right now), thanks for the inspiration!

15. meg says:

This is so cute! I can’t wait to see more cute baby things :) You did a great job.

16. CC says:

I love this quilt! Super cute! Congrats on the new baby – and I’d love to see your take on baby clothes…

17. Susanne says:

Rae has a lot of great patterns: http://www.made-by-rae.com/patterns/ I just made the Itty Bitty Baby Dress and it’s completely ridiculous how cute it is. And the Purl Bee’s Newborn Kimono Shirt takes no time to make and comes out soooooo cute: http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2012/6/21/mollys-sketchbook-newborn-kimono-shirt.html Warning: it will def only fit for about three seconds. But still, great gift.

18. Yay, a quilt! I love Oliver + S patterns. There are no babies in my life (directly) but little clothes are super cute.

19. Carolyn says:

Ahhh! so cute! Definitely gender neutral but still very cool. I saw a really similar quilt pattern in one of Kaffe Fassett’s books – so maybe you can just forget who designed it? If future baby projects are as cute as this (which I’m sure they will be)– you should definitely blog about them. Now time to go buy more amazing novelty print fabrics that you wouldn’t otherwise have a use for…

20. Jenn says:

I want to hear the grudge story!
    Also, in a few years you have a small human who can fit into your bag lining tutorial blazer. So that’ll be adorable!

21. sallie says:

Yay!! Congratulations to your sister! I LOVED when my sister was pregnant (I mean, I guess I love the little “its” that arrived afterwards, too, begrudgingly… haha ;) It was just such a cool thing to go through that experience with her. Although I definitely would have gotten A+ sister points if I had made her an awesome owl quilt!! This is adorable, and perfectly unisex! Love it!

22. blancapate says:

Such a cute quilt! :) I just found out my brother and sister-in-law are expecting, and am already planning cute baby projects for them. A baby quilt is a must, and I also saw this adorable bunny pattern on Purl Bee the other day, and figure it’ll be perfect since I’ve never made a stuffed animal before. I love how simple and modern it is: http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2013/2/17/mollys-sketchbook-soft-woolen-bunny.html

Please post more baby projects if you can!! Ooh and I can’t wait to see how your Denyse Schmidt quilt turns out. I’m obsessed with her patterns. ;)

xo ~ Amanda

23. gingermakes says:

Ahhh! This is so cute! I love it! This sweater: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-sophisticate is so funny and sweet– one of my favorite baby patterns!

24. Amy says:

Wow, the quilting bug is definitely going ’round! This is a lovely gift.