Polka Dot Moss Skirt

Grainline Studio | Polka Dot Moss Skirt

My first finished project of 2013 also happens to be my new favorite skirt and my 4th (I think) Moss Skirt. I got this fabric on an IKEA trip; I just couldn’t pass it up especially since I was itching to sew something and my fabric was all still in boxes at the time. Funny story about buying this fabric – at IKEA you cut your own fabric and while I was doing it I noticed this probably late 40′s early 50′s man watching me. When I had finished cutting and labeling he asked me what I was going to do with the fabric. When I replied that I was going to make a skirt he said in a very confused voice that showed what a bad idea he thought this was, “Well… that’s going to be one loud skirt.” Hahaha, thanks for the heads up bro!

The Details
Pattern : Moss Skirt in the shorter length with no alterations
Fabric : Ikea
Necklace : Scalloped Brass Necklace from Native Clutter

Please excuse my terrible photos, I’m still trying to figure out how on earth I’m going to take my finished project photos in my new location, especially since it’s way too cold to go outside. Obviously I have a lot of figuring to do.

This entry was posted in Sewn Garments and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Polka Dot Moss Skirt

1. Jane says:

I love the fabric, we don’t have an IKEA here and can’t imagine being able to cut and label your own fabric! The moss skirt is in my shortlist of things to make in the next month.

2. Ha! Who knew IKEA was also the place to go for fashion advice?! It’s super cute and actually not that loud at all. Hope you get the new space issues figured out and that you’re doing ok.

3. Leith says:

Fantastic skirt! I love it. You got to give it to IKEA for their fabrics.

4. Robyn says:

Love the spots – I would never have picked it as being an Ikea fabric (ours only seems to have stripes and abstract prints). The Moss Skirt pattern is quickly climbing up my wish list :)

5. liza jane says:

Love those big polka dots!

6. Gail says:

Love the skirt AND the story!

7. Sally says:

The Moss Skirt has become one of my favorites and this Ikea version is great. Did you do something different with the fly? I can’t see it at all, or the front seam for that matter.

8. LOL, That skirt isn’t loud, it just cute. Funny story though, at least the elderly gentleman was fairly diplomatic with his comments. Got my moss mini pattern traced off but need to get sewing!

9. kelli says:

so cute. now i want some of that fabric. might need to make a trip to ikea soon.

10. Lucinda says:

I bought orange fabric with birds on it from Ikea and was thinking what great fabric it would be for this skirt! It is quite loud though, not like your polka dots (which seem quite RTW to me!). It may end up being made into pillows if I can’t muster the courage.

11. sallie says:

I was just eyeballing the Ikea fabric yesterday!! I was half thinking of home decor, but half thinking about clothing. Some seriously fun prints there! I really need to make a moss skirt. It’s settled! I love how these are such a nice staple in a wardrobe – and I need more skirts!

12. gingermakes says:

This is so cute! I love it on you! Suck it, old man!

13. Adorable lady! Screw that old man!

14. maddie says:

Super super cute skirt! It’s definitely a ‘loud’ skirt but also a fabulous one. You should have said, “No shit bro!”

And just a suggestion for taking photos – what about creating a backdrop? You could outline those doors with Christmas lights or decorate a wall like Free People does (http://www.freepeople.com/e-catalog/2012-06_ebook/ecatalog-june-slide-employee-pick_earth.jpg)

15. Susan says:

Haha — gotta love unsolicited comments for their entertainment value! Very cute skirt!

16. sarah says:

haha love when men want to comment on women’s fashion. happy fabrics in the winter are my favorite and i’m super partial to polkadots. very cute skirt that seems like it will be easy to wear with everything! enjoy the loudness!

17. Oh that is awesome-ikea is great for quick hacks-the awesome width of their fabrics is a big plus. I like the way you’ve styled it with the red jumper.

18. lloubb says:

way cute!!

19. MIranda says:

You rock it Jen. I love the shoes, too.
    I love my first Moss skirt (that I’ve yet to photograph or blog) and am making a second this week! I have some of that polka dot left over from my picnic tote…maybe I’ll copy you and we can be twins. :)

20. ZoSews says:

Love this spotty version! Not too loud at all :)

21. ha ha nosy old man! It’s Very cute!!!

22. Amy says:

Ha, it took me forever to figure out I had to cut their fabric myself! Love the skirt.

23. Laura says:

that skirt is sooo gorgeous!!! shame on me, but I’ll be a copycat… :D

24. Pingback: The Moss Mini – adventures in fitting part 1! | not sew simple