Tips + Tricks | Chaining (It’s a Video!)

I am super excited to post my first ever video tutorial and for my all time favorite sewing technique, chaining! Seriously I am obsessed with chaining, I will chain anything and everything I can. If you’re a quilter, you might already do this, but if not this you may want to give it a try. Chaining is a great technique to save time, which is something I personally love. Not only do you reduce your thread clipping, you’re not getting up from your machine to get the next piece constantly either. I edited the video down to keep you from getting bored but I was able to sew all the straight seams for this blazer (sleeves, side seams, cb seam, collar facing, hem facing and sleeve facings) in under 3 minutes, plus a few more for serging, that’s half your blazer sewing done! Chaining works best with the straighter seams of your garment, you obviously can’t really do things like armholes etc. I hope the video is pretty self explanatory but in case it isn’t or you have any questions, let me know in the comments below. I hope you find this technique useful!

This entry was posted in Tips & Tricks and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Tips + Tricks | Chaining (It’s a Video!)

1. Lala Lisa says:

This is brilliant! I didn’t know this trick, I definitely use it from now on. Thanks!

2. sallie says:

This is one of those techniques I seriously need to get better at! I try to incorporate it all the time, but I’m never organized enough and all my pieces are spread out all over instead of pinned and ready to go… Now I know! Pin those suckers and put them on a pile right near the machine. Got it! I’m gonna be the fastest sewer in the world!
    Thanks for the video Jen!

3. Sarah says:

super fun music for your tutorial! at first i was like hmm i know what chaining it but why would i ever want to do that for garment sewing…
    total oversight!!! thanks for such a great tip–it is always the seemingly simple things that are so ground breaking :)

4. Diana says:

LOVE the video tutorial! More more more! please and thanks! :)

5. Mònica says:

Thank you! I didn’t know this technique. I’ll try it next time.
    M

6. Desi says:

Great first video…love the music, and the technique!

7. Erin says:

Love this! Brilliant idea.

I know this is unrelated – but who is the music by?

8. paunnet says:

I learnt this trick as a child watching my mum sew napkins. It’s a life saver!

9. Almond Rock says:

I already do this with my machine but wouldn’t do it with my serger as I’m too worried about my threads coming loose. Do you not worry about that? Maybe it’s cos I’ve only got a three thread serger. Not as robust.

• You don’t really need to worry about it since all of the ends of the serger threads are typically sewn into another seam which secures them. The exception of serger ends being secured would be if you were serging an armhole or something like that in which case you would leave a serger tail and then thread it back into the serging with a needle afterwards.

10. I never thought of using this technique, which I’ve used for quilt piecing, for garment construction! It makes sense though, assembly-line sewing makes things go much faster, like cutting out multiple projects at once or pressing a whole bunch of seams. Thanks for the tip!

11. Ico says:

Wow!!! I have never seen this technique before, thanks for sharing your tricks!

12. Kara says:

I have done this before… I just forgot about it! Thanks for the reminder :)

13. I looove chaining! A video is a perfect way to show it!

14. gingermakes says:

Nice! What a great technique!

15. maddie says:

hmm… for some reason the video isn’t working. Not to worry though, my computer at work gets fussy sometimes. If the video is what I think it is, then yes, this is a HUGE time saver. Thanks for sharing it with me and your other readers :)

16. Great technique. Now I just have to be organised enough to have all my pieces ready to go one after the next!

17. Amy says:

I love little things like this. I chained on my last project that had a collar and facings and I felt so efficient! Cool music ;).

18. dixiediy says:

i already did this with serging but never thought to do it on a regular machine. thanks!

19. Rhonda Mearing says:

What’s the music? It’s fab!

20. barnicles says:

rad video! i love your style and i love dressmaking!

Barnicles x

21. Kazz says:

The perfect chaining soundtrack, super rad video.

22. Pingback: sewaholic-cambieliscious-expialidocious | Lazy Stitching

23. Great video, it’s a great idea. But I think I love the soundtrack best, great choice.

24. Pingback: Pattern Conversion: BurdaStyle Pocket Skirt #121B – Construction Outline | Workroom Social – For People Who Love Fabric

25. Elisabeth says:

Cool technique. Will have to try. Love the music. Peppy! :o)

26. Cilou6 says:

Always fun to hear a French song on an English languaged blog :) *is French*

I try to chain sew my garnments as I find it easier to get even seam allowances on all the pieces. Now you have me wondering about the french seams, would you chain saw them all then press/grade/press and chain seam the second seam ?

Please excuse my English *is French*