Summer Wardrobe | Cobalt Chiffon Midi Skirt

It’s time for the last garment in my Summer Wardrobe sewing! I kept putting this skirt off because I wasn’t sure how the silhouette would look on me but I pulled myself together over the weekend and made it happen. I’m not totally sure about it, I like the skirt but I practically tried every shirt I own with it before we decided on this as the best option. I think I’m also not really used to wearing things that are gathered quite like this so maybe I just need to put it on and go with it. Are you enjoying my slouchy creep pose up there? Always working the camera.

Making this skirt was sort of bizarre. The idea was to make the Hound Sunspot Skirt but I was out of elastic and not ready to venture to the fabric store. In addition to that I usually cut things out when Luke is out of town so I can use his big table. Unfortunately I didn’t plan far enough in advance and the Sunspot Skirt pattern doesn’t fit on my sewing table so instead of using a pattern I just measured and ripped all of the pieces. Even the waistband. Hahaha it was pretty nutty but it worked out just fine. Soooooo many chiffon and bemberg strings EVERYWHERE though, omg. Sister even had them stuck to her face and whiskers after an attempt at walking through the skirt while I was ironing it.

The Details
Pattern : None
Fabric : Chiffon and Bemberg from Vogue Fabrics
Shirt : Hound Lakeside Tank
Shoes : Swedish Hasbeens for H&M

As far as the actual sewing of the skirt, the chiffon layer is about 50% wider than the lining and is gathered on top of the lining, then once they are attached the chiffon and lining are gathered together into the waistband. This can be awkward with a zipper so I used a technique we use a lot at work which allows the chiffon to hang free instead of being anchored to the side seam for a few inches on one side. I took photos of how I did the side zipper and was thinking of posting them here, it’s really easy and I like the look of this a lot better than the alternative of both layers going into the lining. Just a nice little touch.

I’ll be recapping my Summer Wardrobe later this week and then it’s time to start thinking about AUTUMNNNNNNN! So pumped up for my fav. season.

This entry was posted in Sewn Garments and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Summer Wardrobe | Cobalt Chiffon Midi Skirt

1. Melissa says:

I’d love to see pictures of how you did the zipper. And the color of that skirt is fabulous on you!

2. liza jane says:

I love how the lining is shorter than the shell. Such a pretty color!

3. sallie says:

Its a beautiful color! I love these types of skirts – I like to wear them with basic tees and a skinny belt. By the by – your shoes are perfect! Also I’ve totally been guilty of the lazy-girl ripping method. Glad I’m not the only one! Ha!

• So funny, the first thing I put on with it was a t-shirt and belt but we thought it looked funny because my top half is so many sizes smaller than the rest of my body. Sighhhhh. Totally not the only one, why use a pattern when you can measure and rip, right?! Haha!

4. bernieandi says:

Lovely skirt! I would love to see photos of how you did the side zipper. You are amazing at sewing and designing clothing, everything you make looks beautifully made so I am always curious to see how you construct things.

5. I would also love to see a picture of how you did the zipper. I have the chiffon and lining to make a skirt but have yet to figure out the zipper. Love that color on you.

6. anto says:

I really like how it looks. It seems like a rather quick project for when you want to whip out something new and feel productive in a short amount of time.
    I can’t wait to see the projects you have in mind for you autumn wardrobe. My favorite sewing season.

7. Kelli says:

It looks great. I am obsessed with that color right now. And I would be very interested in that zipper tutorial. I used your blazer lining tutorials this week and they were awesome.

8. gingermakes says:

Really cute! It’s such a breezy, bright skirt!

9. Beth says:

I love it! It looks like a lot of fun to wear.

10. Pingback: Chiffon Maxi Skirt | Katy & Laney

11. Christina says:

I’m obsessed with this skirt!! How much fabric did you use for the waistband? Do you have a tutorial anywhere?