Summer Wardrobe | Chambray Button Down Dress

The first item of my Summer Wardrobe plan is complete, the chambray button down dress! I’ve worn this almost every day since I made it and I’m pretty sure there will be another one of these in the dark grey chambray I have as well. It’s just too easy to wear…need more… The chambray has a really nice sheen which you can’t really see in these photos that I am in love with. I really think this is my perfect dress!

This dress was a relatively quick sew only taking a few hours which was nice. It always feels so good to use up fabric that you have sitting around, and I have a LOT of fabric sitting around. It also used up some of my leftover buttons from a wholesale order of 300 buttons (the least amount I could order). 300! YIKES! Need to make a lot of button downs up in here. Luke took these photos super early in the morning to avoid the heat wave so pardon my grogg face, it’s intense.

The Details
Fabric | 100% Cotton Chambray wholesaled and left over from the hound x Of a Kind edition
Pattern | My own
Necklace | B-day gift from my friend Sarah of Cursive Design
Shoes | Swedish Hasbeens x H&M

I ordered the fabric for the cloud print dress at the end of last week so hopefully that arrives soon and doesn’t look too insane. The print was so large that it didn’t make sense to order a test swatch, it would just be a grey square, so I went ahead with the full yard. Hopefully that wasn’t a mistake! I’m also waiting on my polka dot blazer lining so that I can get started. My first 2 choices were out of stock though they were listed online (bummer!) so I ended up with red instead of the black or neon yellow I originally wanted. Sort of disappointed about that but you win some, you loose some and I think red will be just fine, possibly even cute. Definitely nautically preppy which I’m not opposed to at all. Major sidenote, I wish I had a photo of my writing this post, I’m sitting on a lawn chair in the woods with my laptop stealing a neighbors internet, ha!

This entry was posted in Sewn Garments and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Summer Wardrobe | Chambray Button Down Dress

1. Shannon Wood says:

Lovely Details! You know how to handle your sewing machine!

2. Heather B says:

Looks cool and comfy. Love your necklace by the way even if I can’t see it clearly. :)

3. Beautiful! I absolutely love it. It looks so comfy. Can’t wait to see the rest :)

4. Miranda says:

Impeccable, as expected. You are the master of chic, well designed basics.

5. stephanie says:

please make this pattern available for us(me) sucky pattern-makers ( again.. just me ..) to buy ??? I can’t get over how perfect the fit is. I need one.

• jen | grainline says:

I’ll try to make it happen…working on some new patterns now that I hope to have up semi-soonish but I’ll let you know if this particular one happens along in the future!

6. kath says:

This looks so lovely. I can understand why you have gotten a lot of wear out of it already! Such a cute and versatile dress!

• jen | grainline says:

Thanks! The lightness of the chambray is definitely good during this sweltering heat wave we can’t seem to get out of here!

7. You sewed yourself a GREAT dress! I love the chambray it’s perfect!

8. Ginger says:

Soooooooooooooooo cute! Gotta love chambray, man… it’s nice and light for summer, goes with everything, wears well… it’s just about perfect!

9. Gorg! Just putting it out there. I would pay good money for this dress as a sewing pattern….

• jen | grainline says:

Thanks! It’s on my list of patterns I’m working on so I’ll let you know if it happens!

10. sallie says:

looks like a perfect summer dress! very jealous of that chambray – i have such a hard time finding good chambray – can i start ordering wholesale as well?

• jen | grainline says:

It’s definitely a hard fabric to find if you’re not wholesaling, I’ve seen a lot of “chambray” but it’s really just like quilting cotton or thin fabric without the nice chambray sheen. I’m surprised more people aren’t selling the good stuff, they could make a killing! I was 120 yds deep in the stuff this summer…all you need is a tax ID number!

11. liza jane says:

I had to giggle at “grogg face.” Funny. I looove chambray but I can never find it. I desperately need a western chambray shirt in my wardrobe. Your dress looks great! Cool and comfortable.

• jen | grainline says:

Ha, totally grogg face happening up there! Yeah, I’m surprised more people aren’t selling the good stuff because I think there is some serious money to be made there! This dress is definitely passing the heat wave test, mostly thanks to no sleeves and the coolness factor of chambray. Temperature wise that is!

12. Mia says:

I love that dress! I feel like I’ve been looking for something as flattering and casual for some time. I just want to echo that if you made that pattern available in the shop, I would buy it in a heartbeat!

13. Lavender says:

So fun! I want to tear apart my spring chambray dress and make it into something breezier. Or just get more chambray for shorts! I love it now.