Summer Wardrobe | Planning

New season new start right? We’re 7 days into summer and it seems like the right time to post my plans for the upcoming season. I feel like a bit of a dweeb even posting another wardrobe challenge after I so completely failed on my spring plans but here it is, my Summer Wardrobe sewing! Much like my Autumn Wardrobe Project I’m going to try to stick to this as much as possible but if something doesn’t get done or I decide to replace something with another garment I’m not going to feel down. Ha, at the finished project rate of the last few months I should probably throw a party if I get anything done at all!

First up are the Skirts + Dresses
▲ I’ve had this navy chiffon and matching lining for quite a while with no idea what to do with them until recently. They are now slated to become a midi skirt. Can I pull off a midi skirt? That remains to be seen, but if I end up looking like a fool at least we can all laugh together!
▲ I’ve had this cloud print cotton sateen in my Spoonflower account for SO LONG! I finally want to get a yard (or 2) and make something out of it. Again I’m not sure if I can pull off a photo real print but hey, we’re going to give that a try too. Just upping the possible crazy factor with every garment.
▲ This dress is what we might want to call my safe garment after the last two. A cotton chambray button up shirtdress. You’ll notice a bit of chambray creeping into my sewing over the coming months due to the fact that I have a little (immense) amount left over from my Of A Kind run for hound. Wholesale madness all over my studio. Need to use up fabric. ASAP.

Shirts + Shirts
▲ This little cutie will be made from some silk chiffon I picked up at Vogue on Roosevelt a while back. It’s pretty rare to score anything good there lately so I basically bought the rest of the bolt on this one. Apparently the rest of Chicagoland also thought this was a gem because the rest of the bolt was about 3 yards, perfect for this shirt. How do I fare with semi-sheer polka dot chiffon shirts? We shall see.
▲ Oh hey! It’s our BFF chambray again! This shirt is a definite yes, I am always cold in air conditioning so this sucker should get use all summer long and into fall/winter/whenever. It will also use up some chambray so it’s a double winner!

Shorts + Pajamas
▲ These shorts are going to be a variation on the Arizona themed shorts I made a week or two ago but instead of the straight leg they will be curved at the side à la gym shorts. I ordered some super sweet “denim” from Mood that will hopefully be arriving soon so make these. It’s not really typical denim, more of a teeny tiny checkered woven that Mood describes as denim. Could be cute.
▲ Here we have Pajama City! I’ve got some striped thin shirting for these pajamas and if all goes well, I may make a chambray set as well. I’m excited about these, there are always people staying at our house and it would be nice to have some pajamas that I wouldn’t mind people catching me running to the bathroom (or the kitchen, wherever) in the middle of the night in.

I also have plans for a polka dot blazer as well but I’m still finalizing what I want it to look like so there’s no illustration for that yet. I ended up ordering some lining for it since the fabric softened up substantially after pre-washing. I originally ordered black lining but found out via email today that they oversold the lining and I needed to pick a new color. Neon yellow should be on it’s way to me soon….lets hope that wasn’t a mistake!

This entry was posted in Journal Entry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Summer Wardrobe | Planning

1. Heather Lou says:

I’m irrationally excited to see this unfold. That cloud print dress is making me jonesie.

2. molly says:

I love all your choices, are you making all your own patterns for them?

3. Anabela says:

I say YES to the cloud dress!

• jen | grainline says:

Another vote for the cloud! Glad it’s getting some votes of confidence, ordering all that custom fabric (all that fabric, it’s like 1.5 yds, ha!) has me fretting.

4. I love your wardrobe planning posts! I love planning out stuff like this and find these posts so inspiring. You have a great selection of items and I can’t wait to see how they turn out! Oh, PS – I would LOVE it if you sold the pattern on one of those dresses ;)

• jen | grainline says:

Thanks! I’m going to try to focus on getting more patterns out over the summer, as soon as I have my plan down I’ll post it!

5. indigorchid says:

Neon yellow cool! That’s all. I feel so empty of words, but I did get neon yellow approval out there, so it’s all good I think.

• jen | grainline says:

So sad, I got an email from mood saying they’re out of the yellow and I had to go with red. Still alright I think but bummer.

6. Caitlin says:

I always love your wardrobe illustrations, they’re so cute! How do you keep yourself in the sewing groove? I really like that cross back cami, it’s so cute. And I’m looking forward to seeing this cloud fabric done up. Are you going to do an exposed zipper?

• jen | grainline says:

Thanks, I’m always worried the illustrations look super amature-ish. I haven’t thought about an exposed zipper on the dress but now that you say it I think I might, it’d be pretty cute! As far as keeping myself in the sewing groove…not sure really, I’ll give it some thought.

7. I’m so glad you’ve decided to do another planned wardrobe. I love watching the clothes come to life from the drawings.

8. Ginger says:

I love your wardrobe plans– thanks for sharing! Particularly looking forward to the midi skirt (you can TOTALLY pull it off) and the shorts!

• jen | grainline says:

Haha I hope I can pull off that skirt! In my head I’m too short and round but we’ll see…maybe things will go differently than in my head. I’m definitely pumped about the shorts though!!

9. Natasha Jane says:

I recently made a split back top like the cotton pajama set one by altering your tiny pocket tank pattern!

• jen | grainline says:

Ooh nice! Did you post that? I had been thinking about a pajama set and then when I saw the pajamas you recently posted I knew I had to do it, those were out of control cute!

10. Lizz says:

Oh man! This post is making me want to plan a summer wardrobe but I promised myself a break this season. I love your selections and can’t wait to see them come to fruition.

• jen | grainline says:

You definitely deserve a break after all the sewing you’ve done on your previous wardrobes! I on the other hand slacked it out on spring and now I must sew!

11. daria says:

these are all super adorable and very useful! I wish I could make stuff for myself, but more than that, I wish I could be such a careful planner and not just buy whatever comes my way!

• jen | grainline says:

Thanks! I feel like I buy whatever comes my way fabric wise so I’m not sure I’m really doing anything different than you!

12. Pingback: SPRING SEW PLANS - Ada Spragg