Navy Lace Tee

I had originally planned to sew this top as part of my Autumn Wardrobe but obviously I’m a bit late on that. This was the original plan for the top all those months ago when I bought the fabric but I just never had time to make it until now. The funny thing is that it only took about an hour and a half to cut and sew this top so I guess what I actually didn’t have previously was the mental space to make it. Even though this top is about 5 months behind schedule I’m pretty sure that I’ll be getting a lot of use of it come spring and summer.

I like sewing lace because you get to do fun things with the hems instead of regular boring hemming since the lace won’t fray if you cut it right (following the pattern).  I just cut around the basic floral repeat but I’m thinking about going back in on the hem and cutting up every other flower. The lace border stands out nicely on the sleeves but I think it might need a bit more variation on the body. All of the seams are french seamed and the neckline is finished with an organza bias facing so that it’s pretty sheer. That’s how we do it at work and it works out pretty well once the garment is against your body. I ran out of organza in my skin tone and had to use ivory or it would have been even sheerer…next time. The pattern is of course my trusty bff Scout.

And of course, the requisite photo of me in pure awkward photoshoot mode. If you happened to notice my awesome new bracelet, it’s by Cursive Design. I’m a super lucky girl and got a one of a kind piece from Sarah but she has a similar one in her totally rad new collection that coincidentally debuted today. I’m pretty sure I’m going to need that bracelet too because who can resist pyrite. 4real not me boos.

This entry was posted in Sewn Garments and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Navy Lace Tee

1. Sky Turtle says:

Cute :D Love the purple pants!

2. oonaballoona says:

WANT ONE. i love your hemline, been working on a similar waistline!

3. Lizz says:

I agree – I want one! I’ve never worked with lace before but it looks fun – I love what you can do with the hem. It looks great with your colored pants!

4. Jessica says:

beautiful! Love the hem :)

5. Caitlin says:

That lace fabric is so cool! I like the idea of cutting out every other flower to accentuate the lace and hem. Skin tone organza is genius! I’ll have to try this sometime. Do you find that it works better with more medium weight than lightweight fabrics? Just wondering if using organza at the neckline would cause the neckline to sort of poof out if it was in something really lightweight?

P.S. I ordered some color pants from ASOS – we’ll see if they work!

• jen | grainline says:

I tried doing the every other flower last night on a scrap and it was awful! I’m so disappointed but man am I glad I had the rare foresight to test it out instead of just chopping up the shirt! I don’t think that the organza would really cause any poofing. It’s cut on the bias so it contours and I finish organza with organza but if you had something a really drapey fabric you might consider using fleshy chiffon? Same sort of idea.

Heck yes to the pants!!!

6. indigorchid says:

Oo, organza bias tape to finish of edging is so clever!

And ahhh – mental space! Now I know the name for my unproductivity the last few months.

The lace is a nice non-frilly kind of lace too, I bet it will be much more user-friendly, ha, so to speak!

• jen | grainline says:

Totally stole that one from work. Shhhh…. “trade secrets” hahaha.

Mental space is totally an issue, sometimes there just isn’t room in there to consider a project.

7. Beth says:

I love the lace top! I think it looks great for spring. I personally am always attracted to the color navy in the springtime.

• jen | grainline says:

I think it will be nice since I over splurged on colored pants the other day. Probably a good idea to keep one part sort of neutral with those on!

8. Purty! I like it with the purple jeans and the brown shoes too.

9. Patty says:

did you also french seam the sleeves? is that hard?

• jen | grainline says:

I did French seam the sleeves and it is not hard! I think I’ll be showing how tomorrow or Friday since I’ve gotten a few q’s about it.

10. kenzie says:

love it! and I love the purple jeans. Such a nice basic.

11. Wanett says:

Super cute!! My black lace tee didn’t fare so well with wear. You’ve got me wanting a new one.

12. erin says:

Love it! The lace tees I’ve seen are usually white or off white, but I think I need a dark lace tee now.
    Thanks for the tip about the bias organza for the neckline.

• jen | grainline says:

I’m totally into the dark lace over the whilte. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I am the patternmaker for a bridal designer…

13. Leith says:

I had the same question about French seams on the sleeves. How do you do it? I’ve got lace and am about to get the pattern but can’t get my head around the sleeves. Lovely top.

• jen | grainline says:

It’s super easy, check back Wed or Fri and I’ll walk you through it. You’ll love how easy it is!

14. Niiice. I spotted some really pretty cream lace fabric today – seeing this made me wish I’d picked it up

15. Kristen says:

Beautiful! I love how it can be so casual, while also it could easily be dressy! I’m imagining it tucked into a highwaisted skirt (maybe a bright red skirt!), just slightly bloused out… Lovely. & I agree with indigorchid on the organza bias tape – SHEER genius!! …sniggering at my stupid pun…

• jen | grainline says:

Hahaha I love your pun! So punny!! I’m going to have to work hard to dress this up, I have a special talent for making even the fanciest dress look down right regular.

16. Kelli says:

Wow, I love it. And using organza sheer bias tape. That is brilliant. I am tucking that idea away for future use.

17. sallie says:

ooh I love it! the silk organza bias tape facing is a revelation! I will definitely keep that in mind.

18. Leah says:

This is so pretty! I’ve been planning a lace top for spring, this obviously goes in the inspiration box.

19. Kelli says:

Another thing. I was wanting to join your spring wardrobe group, but couldn’t find the buttons anymore. Can you let me know where to find it so I can post it proudly? Thanks!

20. Lavender says:

I love this, and I don’t even think of myself as a lace person. It looks so versatile. Where did you find high-quality lace? Britex?

21. Jane says:

Wow I was just thinking wjile running yesterday of making a lace top for autumn (down here in New Zealand we have just entered my favourite time of year). I love yours, might have to get my a into g and make a new top.

22. Ginger says:

This is gorgeous! It’s basic, but not boring (wha?! amazing!)! And I LOVE the tip about using flesh-toned organza for facings– thanks for sharing your trade secret! :)

23. Rachel says:

What an adorable top. I want one!

24. Pingback: Spring Top Sewalong – Scout Woven Tee Pattern

25. Stephanie says:

I love this top! Eeeeh. I’m totes going to copy you, Jen. I hope that’s ok. I have some lace that I’ve been wanting to turn into a scout tee! I love your styling too. Your photos are a good reminder for me to bust out my mocs. Those things are so comfy. :)

26. Truly Myrtle says:

I love this lace top! I’ve gone a little loopy about lace lately and something like this would be perfect! Off to read your tutorial about french seams…

27. Trang says:

Hi, I’m a beginner sewer. I wanted to make similar lace tee with your pattern. However, I’m unfamiliar with silk bias facing. Is it just like regular bias tape but cut from silk? Thanks

28. Pingback: Summer Wardrobe | Denim Maritime Shorts | grainline

29. elizabeth harris says:

Are there bust darts on that Tee?

Is the light color hanging below the navy hem a separate camisole, or lining of some sort to the tee?

thx.

30. Sew Not Work says:

I need to put organza bias facing on a sheer dress. When I cut and pressed the facing, it had stretched to be narrower than required width. Do you stretch your facing then press it or try not to? Did you have to ease fabric to prevent gaping? Thanks.