sketching

So I ordered the Fashionary sketchbook a few days ago and have been playing around in it in my free moments with some ideas for my spring wardrobe. It’s pretty great for quick sketches, something I am loath to do because I am unable to produce a proportioned quick sketch without some sort of croquis underneath and that pains my perfectionist nature. Once you’ve taken the time to fish out your croquis and line it up under your notepad it doesn’t really qualify as quick. It’s a funny, transitioning from my go to croquis to this new one has my hand a little confused as to where to go. I get all into the sketch and my hand is moving like usual but woah there, the girl’s arm is at a different angle and suddenly I’m off the guides. It’s sort of funny, I didn’t realize I had this much muscle memory in regards to my croquis but surprise Jen, you do. So far I’m really digging this little book and the most amazing part to me is that even after coloring in things with a black micron pen, when you turn the page you can’t see it. Magic! The only thing that bugs me is the zillion pages at the beginning of information, I kind of wish it was more ladies instead.

Also dudes, so pumped up about everyone who joined in the handmade spring group so far. We’re gonna make this happen! So far my plan is for 2 button down shirts, (one silk one denim), a gathered sheer skirt that hits somewhere just around the knee or lower (with a lining of course), a colored denim mini skirt (deciding between coral and mint right now) and a dress or two. I’m still waiting on a bunch of swatches so I don’t want to make any final decisions yet but soon! Until then I have 2 winter projects that are cut out and half sewn crying on my table. Got to get to those suckers soon.

What a dork.

This entry was posted in Journal Entry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to sketching

1. Jessica says:

love that last photo! can’t wait to see your spring garments! :)

2. The Fashionary site also has free croqui’s to download here :)

(P.S. Jen I finished my Scout Woven Tee – gonna post it up this weekend on my blog :)!)

• jen | grainline says:

Ooh thanks for linking to those, I printed them out to see if I wanted to order and they totally sealed the deal. Can’t wait to see how your top turned out. Did you go with or without the collar?

• Hey Jen!
        I parked the 1st collar I made into my project drawer (will use another time) and redrafted and stitched up the collar pattern again to fix the size issues I’d caused for myself (LOL!). The new collar went in really well. Just gotta sit down and read my zillions of handwritten notes to blog about it now (hehe).
        Best wishes, Claire :)

3. daria says:

I love the cat picture! what a sweetheart, I say!

4. Ginger says:

That sketchbook looks so cool! I love the sound of a colored denim mini– versatile and cute! Your cat is crazy flexible!

• jen | grainline says:

Omg I just got my swatches for the colored mini and they are HORRIBLE!! ugh, back to the swatching board or whatever that would be called.

5. Kristen says:

That picture makes me miss our cats! they live happily w/ my mom while we are in the UK. I know exactly what you mean by going off-guide in sketching. It’s amazing what a difference a line just even just a hair off makes.

• jen | grainline says:

It’s so funny like that. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one with this malfunction, ha!

6. Lavender says:

Ooh, I like your plans! And your kitty is just too cute. What a fab photo.

7. cedric says:

I LOVE Fashionary, it’s a awesome tool indeed! I got the red special edition from shopdescreateurs.com but I’m afraid it’s sold out :(

8. Truly Myrtle says:

oh my good gracious. I have just nipped over to that website and bought one of those little books. Talk about impulse buying! I just can’t resist….yippee!

9. Hilary Grant says:

I’ve been wanting the fashionary book for ages, particularly the knitwear collaborative one with Sibling. Must buy now!