Moorland Melton Wool Coat

So I’ve been wearing the same H&M mustard woolish fall/winter coat (I have a puffy for the really brutal Chicago winter months) since fall 2006 and while I should have retired that coat about 2 years after I purchased it I kept it around year after year. It was mustard (my favorite clothing color), it wore surprisingly well for a cheap coat, I couldn’t afford a better quality coat and also, it was mustard. Did I mention that? Ha!

Anyway, finally a few days before I was scheduled to go to NYC Col. Mustard died hard and I was up you know what creek with only a jean jacket and a puffy, neither of which are fit for a week of 50′s traipsing around another city trying to look presentable, etc. I had in mind the style of coat I wanted and figured it wouldn’t be too hard to find something at H&M/Zara/Topshop that would be along those lines. While I did find a zillion imitations of the Isabel Marant Xavier coat, they were all either poly or cut horribly, neither of which warrants the $80-$150 price tags these babies were wearing. So I did what any totally normal insane person would do and for a couple of days, after working all day sewing orders for hound, stayed up till the wee hours making myself this lady.

Yikes this is a lot of photos…someone got a little carried away behind the camera and I am the worlds worst editor. Anyway the coat is based on a dreamy little coat by Rachel Comey that is about $700 out of my price range. It’s made from grey heathered melton wool with royal blue bemberg lining, double breasted with welt pockets and rockin’ lapels. The pattern was pretty easy to make plus I love how the notched lapel looks on paper so that made it even more fun. I really wanted to name it the Grimpen Mire coat after the Hound of the Baskervilles, but in an effort to be less creepy named it the Moorland Coat instead.

Back in the olden days before I was sewing all day every day, lining garments was my worst nightmare so I was hoping to do a tutorial with this jacket on how to bag a jacket (the technique used in most ready-to-wear clothing). Unfortunately my photographer left for New York a few days earlier and I was left with a camera body and no batteries. I’ve got a toggle coat next up in my project schedule so I can take some photos of that if anyone is interested.

Closing words…I am loving this new jacket, it’s warm, fits my gigantic sweaters, hides pet hair with it’s heathered-ness plus it’s made out of quality materials. It’s also a great way to show off my favorite mustard scarf and I can wear it with my mustard tights. They didn’t get a lot of winter use before, I’m sure you can understand why.

This entry was posted in Sewn Garments and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Moorland Melton Wool Coat

1. Jody Pearl says:

Gorgeous – just the sort of coat that wont ever date and being so well made will last forever!

2. Amanda says:

I love love love this! I’ve been dying to make a similar winter coat for the longest time! Will you ever be selling a pattern for this one?

Can’t wait to see the toggle coat!

amanda

3. Tine says:

This is gorgeous. And so versatile. Now I want to make a coat as well.

4. christine says:

absolutely love your new coat, plus am super jealous you made it in just a few days! I was thinking about making myself a coat for next winter, but that means I should probably start planning it any day now…

5. indigorchid says:

Yey mustard! Worlds best invention (color-wise). What a great job on your coat, and doesn’t it totally show when you use real (as in, nice quality) fabrics? Plus, so much nicer to work with stuff that does as it’s told!

• jen | grainline says:

Haha I realized I posted this on top of the mustard (or gold as I tried to disguise them) mittens! Ha. Definitely good to use real materials and still cheaper than purchasing a poor quality pre-made item!

6. Amanda says:

Oh, if you would sell a pattern for this that would be amazing. This looks like my dream coat.

• jen | grainline says:

Sorry to disappoint but no pattern on this one. I copied another coat for myself which I’m fine with, but selling the pattern for a copy of something I didn’t design is a bummer.

7. stephanie says:

how do you rule so much?
    seriously. this is awesome.

• jen | grainline says:

hahahaha this comment made me laugh! i wish I ruled way more, maybe my pug would stop barking at me all the time then!

8. Melina says:

i must say i*m lovin this coat and yes you must do a tutorial to help the others and me, ofcourse, please,tnx;)

9. Grace says:

Excellent! I would love to see how you bag your linings. I’m stuck on that part of a jacket project now.

• jen | grainline says:

It’s crazy easy so I feel like it’s not much of a tutorial but hopefully next week I’ll have it photographed. Depends on how deep my turkey coma is!

10. This is gorgeous! I myself am making my first coat in a heavy teel coloured almost feltlike wool. This design is almost the exact same as my origional thought (except for a hood for irish weather)! Since this is my first coat and I have no courses on my side and my mother isn’t the best seamstress and coat orientated tutorials would be much appreciated :)

11. jen | grainline says:

Thanks ladies! I’m not sure why but I’m all rearing to make outerwear right now. Strange.

12. Arlie says:

oh, it’s amazing! you definitely have to re-photograph it with your mustard tights and scarf soon for us ;)

13. Nora says:

It looks great!

Love especially the 3rd photo!

14. Vivi says:

Woooow!
    This coat is so beautiful!! I have been planning to make myself one since August but never got round to do it and now I can’t find time. That’s one of my Xmas holiday projects though, you’ve inspired me (again!). I always thought it was mega difficult (and I got a book on coats which makes it sound even scarier) but by reading this post I’m now thinking I could make it!
    Thank you for the post!!!
    x

15. Ginger says:

This is super cute! Great job! I really admire you bold and skilled seamstresses who take on tough projects like coats! Bravo!

16. Wanett says:

It’s so awesome!! I love your style! I can’t wait to see more patterns from you. Next up should be pants!

17. Melissa says:

Kudos on a gorgeous coat! I bought a similar style last year from J.Crew and I must say, I think yours looks even better! I’m very nervous about trying to sew my own coat (those linings do look tricky) so I hope to see your tutorial soon :)

18. Lavender says:

You had me all sorts of cracking up with this post, but most importantly, in awe. You made a coat in a night? For real? Slinks away silently…

• jen | grainline says:

Oh man I wish I made it in a night!! I think it took a night to draft the pattern and maybe 2 nights (one was an all nighter) + some hours hemming + sewing on buttons on the plane to get this sucker finished. One night would mean I had magic powers, but alas…

19. Pingback: 2011 Projects in Review | grainline

20. elle says:

I’m extremely impressed with this coat. I’m making one myself right now and am so thoroughly in awe of your sleeves. NOT easy. Very impressed.
    Elle (Leeds, UK)