fall wardrobe part three + a new pattern

Adding another garment to my Autumn Wardrobe from look 1 in my illustrations, I’m calling it the Liberty Print Scout Tee as it’s made in Liberty Tana Lawn (we’ve discussed my superior naming abilities before, ha!). This was my first time sewing a garment with Liberty fabric and I am super impressed with this fabric! A few weeks ago I did some fabrication on a piece for a Chicago artist and he used Liberty Tana Lawn for half of what we were sewing. It was so nice I knew I had to order some for myself. This is the Wiltshire print in berry.

I love the cut and versatility of this top and I’ve already ordered the navy lace and red wool crepe to make looks 2 and 3 of the autumn plan. It works well with pants or a skirt and is a great layering piece. The pattern is my own, available here as a pdf download.

Luke and I did the shoot outside our apartment on Saturday afternoon and it was FREEZING! I think the high was 54˙ that day and you definitely needed a coat. The light was so nice though we couldn’t resist. While editing the photos I have to wonder why we did the shot with the cardigan inside and without outside…next time I’ll think this through better!

This entry was posted in Sewn Garments and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to fall wardrobe part three + a new pattern

1. linda says:

the pattern on that shirt is so cute!

and i love your new short hair. it fits you quite well.

• jen | grainline says:

Thanks! I can’t believe I haven’t regretted the cut at all so far, first time from long to short that’s happened!

2. Kathryn says:

I love the idea of using Liberty print on such a simple piece, it really lets the fabric shine. Great colour on you as well!

3. haruna says:

super cute!!
    and I lobe your new hair style, too :) you chopped it off quit a bit!

4. Heather says:

I love the idea of a woven tee. Would be cute and comfy for winter with a tissue weight long-sleeve jersey T underneath. The haircut is awesome too!

5. Grace says:

Hi Jen, What sizes does this pattern come in?
    I had to grade up the Tiny Pocket Tank to a 12 and lower the armholes because I am tall.

6. Daligula says:

Very nice top. I really like the simple lines of it…and the fabric is so cute, I love it.

7. Claudia says:

Beautiful!
    Tomorrow morning (when my boobs are super big…not a joke), I will take my measurements (see if it would work with my body type) and buy one pattern. Perfect breastfeeding top :)
    You’re awesome!

8. caroline says:

ooo. love your top! seeing this makes me want to start up a sewing project.

9. kenz says:

love it! I love simple tops like that. Especially with such a nice fabric. Wearing cotton lawn must feel so nice, like silk.

10. Pingback: Liberty Tee: Colette Sorbetto « Lazy Stitching

11. Pingback: 2011 Projects in Review | grainline

12. Helen Anna says:

Love this! Have bought the Scout pattern and modified it to fit me, and cannot wait to make it in a Liberty print fabric too! Very wearable tee and I can see this working nicely as a top with slightly longer sleeves too!

13. caroline says:

hello! i’m so late in the game, but just wanted to let you know that your blog + tips are awesome and i just purchased the scout tee. i’m so lucky to live near liberty so will be making this scout in some discounted liberty fabric i got last year. I am dying to know where you bought the red wool crepe? it’s so hard to find the perfect shade of red, so hope you don’t mind me asking! xo Carol

• jen | grainline says:

Gah! So jealous of your proximity to Liberty!!! Don’t mind asking at all, I keep meaning to post where I get the fabric for each project but always forget. I got the wool at Mood online, here’s the link. Hopefully that works? If not the product number is FW11301C so you can search that.

• Caroline says:

Awesome, thanks for the link! And don’t be jealous- if you ever want/need any liberty fabric just shoot me an email and I’d be happy to help as I do spend much too much time there anyway.

14. Michael says:

Ive been to London loads of times but as yet never been to liberty’s but I’m off to visit fialmy there in a few weeks and plan to go. I can’t wait I’ve already got some of there material, some it it was half price and it’s lovely. I only managed to get myself enough for a few tops but hoping that when I got to London me and my cousin can go mad in liberty’s a few other fabric places!!!!