a garment for sleeping

Since I’m turning 28 in June, I’ve been having the idea that I need to step up my wardrobe a bit, including the garments I sleep in. Something about being 28 is affecting me like the years before haven’t, it’s very odd. Suddenly I need to sleep in nicer looking garments I guess. Also this is my new haircut looking totally full of bedhead. Can’t tell if I like it or not.

I made this sleeping garment from Simplicity 3778 and used some “assorted fibers” fabric from Vogue. I decided to throw in some piping from fabric I had laying around to sort of make things a bit more exciting. The buttons down the front may have been a mistake, they have a super long shank, so I feel like they stand off the garment in a strange fashion. The shoulders on this pattern also seem extremely wide, so I have a bit of gaping in the front neckline. I didn’t really feel like making a muslin for this though so that’s what I get.

As for the “sleeping garment” names, I have an unnatural aversion to most terms used to describe these garments. Pajamas is alright, but in my head refers to a 2 piece set that is more casual or maybe just made out of jersey and nightgown just sounds bizarre to me; I think my Grandma VanDahm used to use that word a lot. Seems to refer to floorlength things also.

I have to admit, I got a little help on this garment. In the form of a cat. Ahhh she’s so cute I can’t even handle her little paw licking. What a little meowface.

This entry was posted in Sewn Garments and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to a garment for sleeping

1. becka says:

I love it! I really like the buttons, too. Haha, I totally know what you mean about stepping up the wardrobe, I'm right there with you. I just feel like I need something a little more than old t-shirts to sleep in, you know? Perhaps I'll search out this pattern for myself!

2. well-crafted says:

This uses the palette of the swatches you posted before! Nice work.

3. jen says:

becka: totally! I keep seeing all the cute stuff out there, and my sister is a shop-a-holic (oh the things a salary will let you do) so I'm always jealous of her purchases. She's 2 years younger than me and is way more put together. Haha.

heather: I totally didn't even realize that until I read your comment, guess I can cross that palette off my list!

4. Adventures in Dressmaking says:

That is sooo cute. It is wrong that I would wear it during the daytime, belted? ;)
    In our family we always called pajamas "cozies" since it was easier for us to say as kids… cozy pants, cozy top, cozy dress.. haha!

5. bls says:

the night gown is great, and your haircut is fabulous! i might have to try out that pattern.

meowface kitteh might be the best thing ever!

6. raven says:

I saw this from BurdaStyle – i just LOVE this + the color palette/details are just beautiful. i could sleep soundly in this :)

xo
    raven

7. Julie says:

love the dress, the haircut, and the kitty!!

8. mandiegirl says:

It's so pretty and subtle! Love it! :)

9. jen says:

thanks you all! I feel that I do sleep better in this, haha!