A Fall / Winter Wardrobe Progress Update

It’s been about 2 months since I first posted about my fall / winter wardrobe plans and in that time I’ve done a bit of sewing! I don’t have any full finished outfits yet, but I thought I’d share where I’m at so far. There are a few outfits from my original plan that I haven’t started anything on yet so I won’t include those here. If you want to see the full plan, check out the original post here: Fall ’17 Wardrobe Plans.

Fall '17 Wardrobe Plans | Grainline Studio
Outfit 1: Gus Progress | Grainline Studio

This outfit is coming along alright. I’ve made a muslin of the pants which I haven’t photographed and I have the fabric for the actual pair. The cardigan is in progress, the back is complete and I’ve started on the fronts. The top is a bit of a sad story though. I apparently hadn’t learned my lesson that I should purchase the fabrics I’m sharing before I post them because you all bought all the rose silk noil after reading the post! I’m now deciding on a backup plan for that fabric.

Fall '17 Wardrobe Plans | Grainline Studio
Outfit 2: Exeter Cardigan | Grainline Studio

I finished the Exeter sweater in early December and have been wearing it a ton with the frigid cold temps we’ve been having. The plaid Archer fabric has been pre-washed and is ready to be cut, but I’ve yet to do anything on the jeans front. We’ll see when that happens!

Fall '17 Wardrobe Plans | Grainline Studio
Outfit 3: Berlin Jacket | Grainline Studio

Made the Berlin Jacket and it turned out super cute! I might narrow the sleeves a bit if I were to make it again, but other than that it worked out great. Finally pre-washed the dress fabric and just need to cut and sew.

Fall '17 Wardrobe Plans | Grainline Studio
Outfit 5: Kochi Kimono | Grainline Studio

The Kochi Kimono has been completed, so basically it looks like I’m starting with all the cardigan style garments in this wardrobe plan. I used the silk noil from the original plan and it turned out pretty cute, though it did take a bit for me to get used to. Again I might narrow the sleeves on the next one if I make another. It definitely took some getting used to but I really like wearing it for work since I hate things around my wrists while working and the pockets are useful.

So that’s where I’m at so far! I’ve made a few things that aren’t in the plan as well because apparently I’m not stellar at sticking to a list. If you made a fall/winter plan, how’s it coming along? Also I’m wondering, are you a seasonal planner or do you prefer something like the #2018makenine challenge where you plan out your year at once? I think I don’t have the commitment level necessary to plan an entire year at once but I’m so curious what works for people!

16 replies on β€œA Fall / Winter Wardrobe Progress Updateβ€œ

• Marie

Your outfits look great and I am all dreamy-eyed over the Exeter cardigan.

I made lists for 2018 and I have already changed 2 items on my knit list and 1 item on my sewing list! I am thinking that the lists serve as a starting point and lots of changes to specific designs will occur during the year.

• Jen

That’s a great idea – I don’t think I can ever stick to a list exactly and making it knowing it’s just a starting point is perfect! Very interested in what’s on your lists, you always make the cutest stuff!

• PsychicSewerKathleen

I love your Berlin! I had to check on that pattern but I do have it! I didn’t join the makenine challenge (I don’t do instagram which is very cell phone-centric and I’m not that either πŸ™‚ ) but I did join the 2018 RTW Fast which shouldn’t be difficult for me – I only bought 5 RTW last year and 2 were outerwear I honestly couldn’t make myself (yet!) but I’ve discovered already this challenge has nudged me to my closet to see what I’m going to need! Sleeveless woven tops – I don’t own one and they are the coolest especially in linen for summer! So I’m on that now πŸ™‚

• Jen

I admire your non-phone centric-ness, I need to work at being better about not having my phone all the time. Step one was getting a watch so I can check the time without getting lost in my phone and that’s been great! Anyway, linen tops, yes!!! They’re the best – love that they’re cool but can be layered, so perfect. Also haven’t heard of the 2018 RTW fast so I’ll have to check that out!

• Madeleine

My approach is always sort of a hybrid one: I like visual planning so 2018 is nice for me that way (not to mention the public accountability!), but tbh I’m already thinking about projects that aren’t on there, and I know I’ll deviate. it’s nice to have a starting point, too.

• Amanda

I tried a make 9 list for 2017 – it was a fail. The only item I made was the Lark tee: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOxgJkLDDPb/?taken-by=honestamanda

I still want to make/complete all the things on this 2017 list. And tons of other stuff. But, in 2017 I found that I got side tracked by 4 bras, some kid clothes and a Hadley. So, for 2018 I’m not making a list. In the back of my mind I’m thinking I want to make more stuff…which starts with finishing up all the half done things. After that I have some fabrics that don’t fit in my bins…so those might be the first to get sewn. Also, I’m going to try a reward system where I only buy fabric when I complete or purge something. I’ve really run out of space.

• Jen

I have the same thought in the back of my mind, definitely need to make more things! Sometimes it’s pretty fun to get sidetracked and make something you weren’t expecting, sounds like you had a great time doing that last year. And with you on the space issue. Ooph!!

• Samantha

I am curious what it was about both the Noil and the Kochi that took getting used to….? I cut out a Kochi before Xmas but haven’t sewn it up yet. It’s so cold all I can think about wearing is wool sweaters and jeans, but I know that will change eventually. Like the silhouette of the Kochi, but curious about your reaction.

• Jen

Nothing about the noil, I use that all the time, but the sleeve seam on the Kochi hits at my bicep which is rarely the widest part across my body. Visually that took some getting used to. I do love it though and it’s my favorite thing to wear at work!

• arianek

That’s still great progress – and I like the finished Kochi more than I expected! (I’m still never sure about whether I’d wear open front sewn “cardigan” style things with no front closure.) I basically have my running sewing queue (that I use Textillia to organize, of course) and tend to make it through 2-4 items per “season” or about one a month. Since I always want to make more than I actually can, I reshuffle the order as soon the weather starts turning, and bump any remaining out of season items until next year… It might not be as satisfying as checking off a complete list, but since I rarely get through as many items as I’d like, it’s nice to be able to quickly reorder plans so easily.

• Jen

I think that sounds like a great plan that works much better in real life than a set in stone list made in the first few days of the year πŸ˜‰ I might take a page out of your book on this! Also re open cardigans, they’re sooooo amazing, and the Kochi also comes with an option for ties. Highly recommend the silk noil, it’s so cozy and perfect in the winter as a topper, but the silk also feels cool in the summer so I have a feeling I’ll be dragging it with me everywhere then too!

• Ariane K

It’s definitely better if you want less pressure on yourself (I know some people work well under pressure though!)

You know, I don’t know why I have such a hesitation about open “cardigans” that are woven fabric – I realized I have one that’s a heavier cotton (knit) sweater that I wear all the time in the winter! I could really use something like that to wear over tank tops in the summer when it’s sunny. πŸ™‚

• Denise

Blackbird fabrics has a listing Cupro & viscose in dusty rose that might work for your Hadley in outfit two in place of the sold out silk noil. But hurry it’s so pretty and selling fast!love these posts btw super inspiring as always!!!