Farrow Inspiration

The Farrow Dress | Grainline Studio

Did you guys catch our newest pattern release, the Farrow Dress? If not you can read all about it in yesterday’s post. Today we’re back for more Farrow talk, and we’ve got some inspiration to get your creativity flowing! All of these photos are taken from our Farrow Inspiration board on Pinterest. We’ve got more ideas pinned there as well as the sources for all of these images so make sure to check it out!

Farrow Inspiration | Grainline Studio
Farrow Inspiration | Grainline Studio

The Farrow has some minimalist tendencies with it’s clean lines and modern shape so it’s easy to imagine it in black and white (or black and white prints). If you’re looking for a sophisticated take on this pattern you can’t go wrong with classic b&w.

Farrow Inspiration | Grainline Studio

The Farrow can also be a lot of fun in pastel prints! It’s a more unexpected take on the dress and one we are huge fans of around Grainline HQ. The two prints above show that both large and small scale prints can be really nice options. I seriously wish we could buy the fabric on the left!

Farrow Inspiration | Grainline Studio

You can also see the variety of fabric weights used in these photos, from thicker wool in the first photo, to the beautiful drape of silk, as well as rayon and cotton. We’reΒ really excited to see what fabrics you choose!

38 replies on β€œFarrow Inspirationβ€œ

• Francis

Well, I think this dress looks like a dress that would be flattering on everyone. I love the hem and that there is a sleeve option. Do you think this would work in a knit also?

• Jen

We haven’t tried knit so I’m hesitant to say. My gut feeling is that a stable knit could work, though the sleeve is drafted for wovens so it might not have the traditional knit fit if that makes any sense. I’ll put it on our list to try out though it might be after the new year till we get a chance!

• Jane

I love that Rachel Comey dress, I was just looking through my patterns last week to try and find something to hack. Now I don’t have to. Thanks Jen!

• Cocos Loft

I love baggy loose clothing!! and everything you draft, Jen. Looking forward to this one – I’ll be trying knits for sure, my weakness, and some fun print cottons – Kaffe Fassett stuff!

• Jen

Aw, thanks!! Let me know if you do try knits. We haven’t tried them b/c it’s drafted for wovens but I’ve gotten a lot of questions about it. It’s on our list to try out but with the sew along and holidays I’m not sure we’ll get to it before the end of the year.

• Melissa

CANNOT WAIT to make this. Just returned from working in Europe for a few weeks where burgundy is all the rage… this dress with black leggings or boots – love It!
    Deb, go troll somewhere else.

• Jen

I’m SO glad burgundy is back, it’s such a good color! We’ve got a Farrow cut in a deep wine/burgundy just waiting to be sewn up for a variation post and I can’t wait till it’s done so I can steal it from the sample rack!

• Melissa Lewis Reilly

Can’t wait to see. I purchased a knit for this pattern – but not much stretch at all. What kinds of adjustments should I consider given your comments above about the sleeves? I bought the fabric before seeing these posts, alas.

• Brigitte Moore

I Love this dress! The last couple of days I’ve been searching the indie patterns for something like this. Colette Laurel, nope. Papercut Saiph, not quite right. Then your Farrow popped into my inbox–yes! I have 4 meters of (somewhat) stretchy black velvet that I was saving for a festive, yet comfy dress, and I think your Farrow would be absolutely lovely. I think I might widen the sleeve from just under the elbow to the wrist for a slight bell shape, though. I’ve done this on another dress and quite like the effect.

• Jen

I can’t even get over how amazing velvet would be for this! I also love the bell sleeve idea, I think it would be so elegant with the fabric choice and silhouette! Definitely let us know how it goes, I would love love to see!

• RavenNemain

I’d actually been planning on trying to hack something like this together (I’ve made knit ones but not woven) so I love that you saved me the trouble! Can’t wait to make this, in a tunic length to go with all my crazy leggings. Love you guys, and don’t let the trolls get you down! πŸ™‚

• Jen

Glad to come to the rescue! Excited to see what you come up with, and don’t worry about the oversized clothing troll situation, it actually gives us a pretty good laugh πŸ˜‰

• Brigid de Jong

Hmmm…I haven’t read comments on this blog before. Why bother to tell someone they hate your designs??? So…don’t buy it. Problem solved! I do like it, myself.

• Gilly

I note the suggested fabrics are all women’s, but I wondered whether it would work in something with stretch. Can you advise?
    Many thanks

• Jen

We have made the dress in stretch wovens (stretch wool suiting to be exact) and it worked great! I haven’t tried it in a knit though. Since it was not drafted off our knit block it might work but the sleeves won’t be the typical knit fit through the armscye. If you’ve got extra fabric laying around it could be worth a try or I’m sure someone will try it out if we just wait a week or so πŸ˜‰

• Juniper Taylor

Well, I and many, many others LOVE your designs. I don’t think they are shapeless or baggy at all. They are relaxed and perfect for my body and my lifestyle.

• Juniper Taylor

Omg, I just looked at the line drawing and got tears of joy at the pocket design. Jen! I have a girl crush. Don’t tell my husband.

• Lisa H

I love this design, so much that I’m going to ignore the exchange rate between the AUD and the USD. It looks to be the perfect design for comfort and style. I love the idea of adding a slight bell shape to the sleeves as Brigitte Moore suggested.

• Lisa

Just made my muslin and the pocket detail is genius!! Wondering if you have a pic or more details on how to do the bar tack at the pockets. Definitely want to do that but can’t quite picture it…