Our Newest Pattern: Willow!

Willow Tank Dress | Grainline Studio

We have been day dreaming in the studio of warm days at the lake, canoe trips and having night picnics at Millennium Park. And most importantly… what we are going to be wearing during these activities! With this new season there is a new pattern… The Willow Tank! The pattern includes both a Tank Top and Dress and it can be made in a wide variety of fabrics.

Willow Tank Dress | Grainline Studio

The tank version of the Willow has a modern mid-hip length and a higher neckline to balance the shorter length. The fit is slightly boxy from the waist down but bust darts keep it fitted through the shoulders and bust. We also included a deep turned up hem to add a classy finished edge to the tank, as well as create the pleat you see in the dress version.

Willow Tank Dress | Grainline Studio

The dress version of the Willow is the perfect dress for kicking around town. Since it’s loose fitting it won’t stick to you in the heat of summer. The dress pattern is two pieces so that leaves the option to use two different fabrics for the top and skirt – great for coordinating prints and solids!

The Willow is rated for beginners but is also great for more experienced sewers who are looking for a super wearable, easy project or want to do some customization. Techniques involved include sewing a straight seam, darts, hemming, and applying bias facings.

You can purchase the Willow in both printed format as well as downloadable PDF in our shop and is also available as a kit on Sprout Patterns.

Willow Tank Dress | Grainline Studio

And now a little bit about how the Willow came about. I’ve really been feeling the need for a tank like this over the past few months – something with a slightly higher neckline and wider straps that looks great in bold prints and simple solids alike. The slightly boxy, contemporary feel and the shorter length are what I’m all about right now in my wardrobe top wise! At the same time I’ve been feeling that it was time to retire the Tiny Pocket Tank. I’ll always love the Tiny Pocket Tank, it was our first pattern and all! But being our first pattern meant I used a different fit model with different proportions than our current measurement chart which resulted in it fitting slightly differently than the rest of our line. It was important to me to replace it with an updated style since it’s a great beginner pattern and I want to make sure that there’s something for every level in our pattern offerings, both in wovens and knits. So that’s the story on how the Willow came to!

We’ll have plenty of Willow related posts coming up including fabric suggestions, our Willows, and a sew along for the beginners out there who might need a little extra hand holding. Stay tuned!

28 replies on “Our Newest Pattern: Willow!

• Grace

Well this is exciting! I’ve always loved my Tiny Pocket tanks, but after 5 versions and 4 sets of alterations I think I’m also ready to retire it and move onto another woven tank pattern.

• Peggy

I am building my library and this will be great. Returning to sewing for real after years of just alterations, repairs and minor crafting. A little nervous to jump in. I bought it and am ready to love it.

• Sarah

Ooh, I’ve never loved the TPT on me (I feel more comfortable in a boxy silhouette) so this might be just the ticket! Can’t wait to see some photos of people wearing them.

• Anna

I really like the dress version. Would it be possible to have a tutorial on how to draft a sleeve piece during the sew along? Or perhaps an optional pattern piece later? I would love to have that option to make variations.

• Jen

Unfortunately I don’t think that’s a possibility for a tutorial, it’s more involved than it seems. It would involve altering the armscye significantly since this pattern is drafted to be sleeveless and I just don’t think it would be successful for the majority of people. Any slight variation in the lines they draft would affect the fit of any sleeve I provided. I would have to draft and grade a new bodice and sleeve to really make this feasible.

• Bernadette

I’m curious as to why this pattern is priced differently from the others — like, the Lark is $14 for the pdf, and it comes with so many variations, but this is $16 for the pdf, in basically just the two lengths. Are there new development costs that you’re trying to recoup or something like that? 🙂

I’m looking forward to seeing this made up! I think it might be really gorgeous in a rayon challis or similar.

• Jen

This pattern is priced similarly to other patterns of ours that required a similar amount of work and cost on our part. Just because a pattern has more variations doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s more work. The Willow is actually not just the same tank in 2 lengths. That said, and since you asked, the Archer and the Lark are underpriced, and that’s also why we likely won’t reprint the Casacade Coat. A bit of live and learn on our part, but if we don’t correct our mistakes going forward and price according to our work and costs involved we won’t be releasing patterns for much longer.

• Cara

If i would sew this up in a corduroy would the size of the garment reduce? If not what makes the pattern only suggest light summery materials? I was going to lengthen the wiksten tank like before, but Grainline Studio pattern fit me way better!

• Jen

It won’t reduce, it will just be stiffer is all. The suggested fabrics list is not a comprehensive list of everything that will work, just what we think will give the best results to the most people.

• Sandie

This new pattern is nice but i prefer the neckline of the tiny pocket tank. I’m really disappointed because i’ve just bought a fabric for my tiny pocket tank… but i still haven’t dowload it ! So, is there a way to download the tiny pocket tank? I’ve imagined it for so long…

• Mary B

I love the splotchy fabric and also want to copy the denim/chambray dress for the sew-a-long…where is that from, please? Excited to sew these!

• HW

I adore this pattern. Do you think pockets along the horizontal seam would be possible? Also what fabric is the black and white tree print from?

• Jen

Pockets along the seam line might be hard since there is a pleat there, but you could easily omit the pleat and place pockets in. The black & white fabric is Leah Duncan Yucca Voile.