I can’t believe it’s already May and Mothers Day is next week! Jen and I made these cute little cinch pouches for our Moms. We are going to fill them with surprises! They make great presents because they are super easy and you can make them using scrap fabric.
Because I am using scrap fabric, this tutorial is more free form when it comes to measurements. The goal is to get two good sized squares or rectangles, so try to find some larger scrap pieces.
Have fun making them!
- Ball Park 1/4 yard of fabric or scraps
- Shoe laces, binding, rope, ribbons… Your choice! It just needs to be over twice as long as the width of your pouch.
1. Cut two rectangles of fabric. Any size! Depending on how large or small you want your pouch to be. Our large pouch rectangles measured 9 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ and our small pouch rectangles measured 7 1/2″ x 6 1/2″.
2. Fold and press under 1/4″ around the three top edges of each rectangle, stopping 2 1/4″ down from top on side seams.
3. With right sides facing, stitch your rectangles together starting 2″ down from the top, using 1/4″ seam allowance.
4. To reinforce the side seam, sew a line of horizontal stitches where the fabric splits at the top.
5. Fold over fabric 1″ from the top, and press. Sew along the folded edge to create a casing for your rope.
6. Thread your rope through one casing channel, and continue around through the other channel, bringing both rope ends to the same side. Repeat on the opposite side.
7. Tie the ends of your rope together and pull closed. There you have it… a perfect gift for your Mom!