Fall ’15 Wardrobe Inspiration

Fall '15 Wardrobe Inspiration | Grainline Studio

1 | 2 | 3

After taking spring off it's time once again for some wardrobe inspiration! I really missed pulling this segment together, but this past spring and summer held so many changes and new project beginnings business wise, that there just wasn't time. Now that we're caught up on a few things I'm excited to get back to some wardrobe planning in earnest, so let's get to it! (P.S. There's more where this came from on my F/W '15 Wardrobe Inspiration Pinterest board!)

I've been seeing these quilted denim and cotton jackets around a lot over the past few months, well when I say "a lot" I mean, I've seen 4 of them on Pinterest. Anyway, I'm obsessed and I have got to make one of these! I'm currently torn between a colored version like the two above, or denim, like the original two jackets I found. I do think it will be on the longer side though whichever route I go.

Fall '15 Wardrobe Inspiration | Grainline Studio

1 | 2 | 3 | 4

I've got about 6 bazillion Archers planned this fall. I want to do a few standard versions straight from the pattern, but I'd also love to mix it up a bit. I love the longer shirttails on this one above. I'm also really interested in layering shells and would love to make a few of those in both silk and some really lightweight wool flannel I have.

Of course, I also have clogs on the brain and will probably be ordering a new pair soon. My other clogs have sadly bitten the dust. I have this horrible habit of balancing on the back of the heel while working and it causes the heels to expel wood shavings. I've killed many a pair this way. Oh, and that ring? Wishful thinking!

Fall '15 Wardrobe Inspiration | Grainline Studio

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Of course, who doesn't need another sweater. I live in button down shirts and oversized sweaters all fall and winter long so I'll be adding another one to the sweater shelf this winter. I got a head start this summer with the #fancykelbournestudioKAL Lucinda which was really nice, and one more is on the way as soon as I wind the skeins! I wear a lot of skirts & tights with said button ups and sweaters during the cooler months and I'd really like to try my hand at sewing a leather skirt. I haven't done too much leather work but it's an interesting challenge I'd like to try.

The backpack is something I just started thinking about this past weekend. On a whim this past weekend I bought a ticket to Berlin to stay with Jon while he's between his London & Milan shows next month. I like the idea of a backpack for this trip since we really want to rent bikes, something we wanted to do last summer but didn't have time. I most likely won't have time to make one, so this may be a purchase, but ever since doing the Portside I've wanted to do another bag. They're so much fun to design!

Fall '15 Wardrobe Inspiration | Grainline Studio

1 | 2 | 3 | 4

I'll be stocking up on layering tees this fall for sure. I got so tired of years of not being able to find a slim cut tee that just grazed the body instead of clinging tightly that also had sleeves narrow enough that I didn't need to jam them down into my button down, sweater, or blazer that I took matters into my own hands. I have my perfect pattern and I've already started using it!

This last winter my one and only cardigan (that isn't a jacket-cardigan) wore through and became threadbare and I'm not totally sure what to do about it. Part of me wants to knit a fingering weight cardigan because I have a serious tendency to lean towards the tedious, but the other part of me knows that might be crazy. I still like the idea though…going to ponder this one for a while.

Stay tuned for Kendra's F/W '15 inspiration and we're also going to be doing small capsule wardrobes based on our inspirations which we're both super pumped for! What are you guys digging this fall style wise?

30 replies on “Fall ’15 Wardrobe Inspiration

• hedgewick

I bought some luscious (read: expensive) sweatshirt fleece last winter to make a cozy tunic or dress or sweater coat from- something to pop over warm leggings. However I have yet to find the right pattern for it.

• carol

I have the same concerns about knitting a fingering weight cardigan myself. Need it but can’t bring myself to buy one and yet can I stand the boredom of knitting it And in a dark color it may put me over the edge.
    Great post, by the way!

• allie J.

I have an archer (or maybe a few) on my fall/winter inspo board! I’m i’m working on some classic pieces and challenging myself to try new things: tailoring a blazer and a winter coat, making a proper collar & stand, and working with delicate fabrics.

• gilliancrafts

Oooh, I like all of these options! My winter wardrobe is all about leggings, short dresses, and cardigans, but I’ve been dreaming of a loose layering coat for wearing inside on cold days.

• annekecaramin

I have the exact backpack you posted (in burgundy) and it’s great! I actually bought it during a trip because the shoulder bag I had with me got too heavy on long walks, and it’s been a lifesaver since. It holds tons of stuff, you can ride a bike and it barely takes any room when it’s empty.

• jne4sl

Everything is beautiful. I’m also obsessing over quilted coats and wondering if I could pull one off style wise (sewing I think I can muddle through). I’m taken with the Rachel Comey linen Andres blazer and the Blou coat by Ganni. The second is probably not a style I could wear but it does have me leaning toward quilted denim and the color is perfect.

• jne4sl

Also, on these quilted jackets, my impression is most are made from pre-quilted fabrics and often are lined. This one I think the garment pieces were quilted individually: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/253468285254727058/ (I was pretty happy to find a nice interior shot). Pre-quilted would I assume be much cheaper for a manufacturer but for the home sewer, finding the right thing pre-fab would probably be harder than quilting the pieces.

• martha

I need to know more about your pattern for the tees, because I have the exact same problem.
    Also, I have been working on a fingering weight cardigan (magnolia from joji, with some changes. I posted on ravelry about it) and it really hasn’t been too bad to knit, even in a dark color. A little slow-going at times, but nothing a little netflix binging can’t solve. 😉

• Nina

I’m mainly thinking about what needs repairing! But I’ve got a Cascade long-planned, plus a half-circle skirt in an amazing vintage wool I found, and a very simple top in some black organic merino jersey that I slightly splashed out on in the spring. You’ve also reminded me about that quilted cotton vest on the Purlbee blog, might have to give that another look… I’ve been looking at backpack patterns recently and would love it if you did one – unisex and different size options would be my requests!

• Pootle and Make

Those quilted denim coats are lush. Hope they make their way over to the UK. I am attempting to make trousers and have signed up for a course at Sew over it. When the weather turns, I think of snug cardi’s

• Johanna

Would love a pattern for a quilted jacket. Don’t know if you’ve come across this one I just (re)pinned: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/455145106070261083/
    I’ve bought some great knit fabrics and am planning to make both a Hemlock and a Linden. I’m also on the lookout for the perfect cardigan pattern to knit, Truss (by BT) isn’t necessarily quite it but will make it anyway. Can’t wait for your next pattern release!

• Jen

I love Truss! I know what you mean, it’s not the everyday large cardigan I’m looking for but I do love it’s structural quality. It’s on my to-knit list as well

• Valerie

I also love a perfect fit graze the body sort of tee. I think a Grainline pattern version of this would be divine. Subtle hint.

• ybat

I love your sense of style and I hope that you decide to design and sell a backpack pattern. I use backpacks more than any other type of bag but really nice patterns are hard to find. I made one that is nice and I would love to make more in different styles.

• timogloria

I have an eight year old quilted cotton jacket that I am starting to put holes in after years and years of use! Last year I sewed a boxy wool jacket and I think I might use the same pattern to replace my quilted cotton jacket Vogue 7975). Do you have a pattern in mind for that silk shell?! I am always on the lookout for one and have all but given up after I disastrously tried to modify the Wiksten tank into my dream shell and ended up ruining some much loved, very expensive fabric. :/

• Sophie

Gah! So exciting! Can not believe it is really that time again to be thinking about the next seasons sewing. I feel jibbed, have not hardly touched my winter sewing plans and now it’s going to be hot again! Looking forward to seeing your makes as always…P.S just found this pattern…you might like it: http://www.stylearc.com.au/stylearc/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=8&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=841&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

• True Bias

love your inspiration posts. i am also obsessed with those quilted cotton jackets. i love the worn look of the fabric they use. i wonder if i dyed my own fabric if I could get a similar look.

• Sarah

Coming into spring here so am dreaming of light and airy things (including 2 Alders), but have just finished a Saunio cardigan, by Named which looks very similar to some of your padded jackets with that lovely curved neckline. It’s designed for heavier knits but can be made in a woven if the sleeves are sized up. Would look amazing in a quilted knit fabric….