A New Denim Moss Etc.

Outfit Details
Skirt Pattern | Moss Skirt
Top Pattern | Penny Raglan
Bra Pattern | Watson
Shoes | Bryr Clogs

A New Denim Moss (and raglan tee & watson bra) | Grainline Studio

After our chat the other week on photographing and posting finished projects I’ve been super motivated (well relative to how motivated I was previously) to get some photos done. Saturday morning, before I started an impromptu massive closet clean out, Jon and I went to grab coffee and take some photos of my new Moss Skirt. I have to say Saturday morning in Wicker Park maybe isn’t the best time to get back into the swing of having your photo taken. People are swarming everywhere, but we got the job done just fine.

A New Denim Moss (and raglan tee & watson bra) | Grainline Studio

It’s been a while since I made myself a new Moss and I’ve been planning this one for about 2 years. I have a few that I wear pretty often so since I always had a backup to grab, this one kept getting pushed further and further out. I bought the fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics back in summer of 2013 – that’s how long I’ve been meaning to get this done – and finally last week decided it was now or never. I love the fabric so much so never wasn’t an option.

A New Denim Moss (and raglan tee & watson bra) | Grainline Studio

The Moss is such a quick sew that I can cut and sew one in a day and still have time to answer emails, work on admin tasks, and take a leisurely lunch – which is any lunch where I’m not typing between bites. Apparently I had forgotten this but it’s nice to have your memory jogged now and then. I’ve also realized lately that I need to get an iron and ironing board for home. I actually only have one at work, which didn’t bode well with the fact that I folded the skirt into my bag to bring it home. I guess I could have Photoshopped out the wrinkles but I abandoned that photo degree long ago so we’re just rolling with the wrinkles.

A New Denim Moss (and raglan tee & watson bra) | Grainline Studio

I also made this shirt, it’s one of those oversized raglan tees I’m always making. Since I’m now 4 deep I’ve named it to simplify the process of talking about it. It will henceforth be known as the Penny Raglan. BOOM! Anyway this little Penny is made from a silk/rayon blend from Mood purchased about a year ago. Unfortunately it has long since sold out. It’s been super muggy in Chicago lately so I figured a shirt that felt like a breezy cloud was the only way to go until – probably late September if we’re being honest. Ha!

A New Denim Moss (and raglan tee & watson bra) | Grainline Studio

The fabric on this tee is a bit sheer which doesn’t phase me, but I did take this as an opportunity to try out the longline Watson. I’d made a regular version a while back and I didn’t totally love it on me. It’s a combo of the proportion on my body and the fabric I used, so I don’t really wear it much despite it being pretty comfortable. This one though, this one struck it out of the park and I need more. It really deserves it’s own post though so we’ll just catch a creepy peek here and save the rest for later. Back to the shirt. I have 4 of these raglans now and I feel like I should mention this because it comes up a lot, it is not a variation of the Linden, it’s a completely separate pattern. Sorry guys!

A New Denim Moss (and raglan tee & watson bra) | Grainline Studio

I’m so so glad I got this Moss (and my humidity beating Penny) into my rotation. It’s going to be a great summer to fall skirt, though I think it might be a bit lightweight to transition to winter with tights. I’ve got a few more summer things I want to make/blog but I’m getting antsy to start my fall wardrobe planning and sewing. I really wasn’t made for the heat and humidity no matter how good my game face is. For the record it’s terrible. The Great Closet Cleanout of 2015 I briefly mentioned above all started Saturday morning when Jon got rid of an old chair we had in a corner and our apartment instantly looked so much better. This gave me a brief thought, “I should get rid of things I don’t wear before I decide what I need for the upcoming months.” Cut to me literally (this is 100% for real) packing up probably at least 50-60% of my clothes, shoes, bags, etc. Anyway, more on the clean out and planning wardrobes later. Time to go enjoy the last few hours of the weekend!

32 replies on “A New Denim Moss Etc.

• gilliancrafts

Three garments in one post? BAM! I love the warm terracotta colour of the wall behind you, too. Mmm, summery! And may I take a (hopefully not creepy) moment to say that you have amazing legs? Work, girl.

(I just reread this comment and there’s not a single coherent sentence in the whole thing, Sorry – I’m got squirrel brain in the morning. Ooh, shiny!)

• Jen

Hahah I figured get them all in while you can! Not really but that’s what it seems like I was thinking. I’m so glad we found this wall, that’s one of the many great things about Jon, he’s good at picking walls 😉 Thanks for the compliment also – I’m kinda weird about them. My sister got the better legs in the family so I’m always judging them against, basically model legs. Wahhhhhh boo hoooo hahahaha!

• gilliancrafts

LOL – well, I’m 5’2″ with a long back, which means my legs are EXTRA stubby! And knock-kneed. (Not that I’m complaining – they walk me around very nicely. Thanks, functional legs! 😉

• Francis

You look supper cool and comfortable in your clothes. We would never guess you were burning up. Look foward to you putting out that Penny raglan as a pattern in the future. You’ve definitely made me want to add a Moss to my wardrobe and denim looks like a good place to start.

• Jen

Thanks! I think the sunglasses help hide my dying eyes. The raglan actually isn’t on the release docket, not sure how many people are interested in basically a gigantic shirt, but it is my one true love at the moment. Also you can’t go wrong with a denim Moss! I’d recommend not going too heavy on the weight because the pattern has a full fly instead of a mock fly.

• lisa g

I feel your pain… I have about zero tolerance for heat and humidity! Love the outfit. I wear my moss skirts all the time–it’s one of my all time favorite patterns!

• Jen

It’s the worst isn’t it?! Makes me question why I haven’t moved north yet. Archer & Moss, they’re my favorites, but don’t tell the others. They’ll feel bad 😉

• Ltrott

Not typically a fan of skirts, but now I am 100% certain that I want to make that Moss mini for myself. It looks great!! LOVE your textile choices too. I am forever envious of your stash!

• Jen

Thanks! I’m right there with you on skirts, I look a lot like a cartoon version of myself in most of them. This one is pretty sleek and classic so I can jam it, but nothing gathered ever looks normal on me. I seriously wish I’d ordered more of that denim though…

• Kelly

Ooo yeah, love all of this! Such a great summer outfit. I’m itching to make a longline Watson too, kinda feel like it’s enough coverage to wear under a semi-sheer top like this or tank. Why don’t I wear my Moss skirts more?? Getting them out now 🙂 and hey, I think Penny wants to come to camp, hehe…

• Jen

Thanks! Yeah the longline is pretty awesome, I hate to wear an entire tank cause the fire of summer is upon us, but this is just enough that it says, “yes I know my top is sheer and I’m alllll over that fact.” I went through a long skirtless phase that I’m just coming out of now. I don’t know what happened to me! I’m kinda surprised how into this Penny raglan thing people are. I thought 1, maybe 2 other people would be longing for the raglan equivalent of a tent but maybe I’m wrong! You’re gonna be surprised at my next pattern after this though, hahaha!

• Tessa

I’m usually a lurker but not today – I love your raglan tee!!! Pls consider releasing the pattern pls pls pretty pls. 🙂

• Jen

Hello & thank you! I wasn’t planning on it but perhaps I need to reconsider. Though it wouldn’t be ready this summer. I’ll have to think on it for a bit.

• Bella

A closet clean out AND blog photos? That’s what I’d call a productive weekend! I find blog photos such a hurdle. Must try that Watson bra, I have everything ready for it so no more excuses!

• Jen

It’s no secret I hate doing blog photos, but I’m trying to suck it up and remember it’s part of the job! Definitely give the Watson a go, the long line one is my fav. I have all the stuff for a Marlborough and am having the same trouble getting started. Sometimes that’s the hardest part!

• Cammie

Can I take this moment to add my name to the screaming hordes chanting “Penny raglan! Penny raglan! Penny raglan!”? Seriously, though, that entire outfit is magic, although I’m now wondering how it’s silk/rayon blend knits have gone under my radar for so long…

• Amy

Perfect summer outfit! Oversized t-shirts are the best. I made myself a few this summer too and totally have the “my bra (Watson) is peeking through” but I don’t care! My new love is linen jersey. Oh it feels so good. Have you tried them yet? And must feel so mentally organized after your wardrobe cleanout, too!

• gingerella

Lovely fabric and such a cute skirt! I’m still finding my way with photographing my finished makes and doing it in public is a hurdle I’m yet to overcome, especially as I do by myself and with a remote. Plus, finding aesthetically-pleasing backdrops is harder than I thought!