Whitewash Cabled Socks

Whitewash Socks | Grainline Studio

ravelry link
pattern | bff by cookie a
yarn | madelinetosh tosh merino light in whitewash
needles | us 1 double pointed needles
modifications | none
plant | monstera deliciosa

Whitewash Socks | Grainline Studio

These socks and I have been through a lot together. I cast on during a flight to NYC with Jon back in February to see him play. I didn’t get too much done because it was such a fun, whirlwind trip between his show and catching up with some of my super close friends from undergrad. That trip was hands down my best NYC trip in a long time even though we got slushed on and frozen to the bone and were completely exhausted and delirious by the end of it.

Whitewash Socks | Grainline Studio

I continued knitting these socks in a hospital waiting room with my dad for while my mom was in surgery for 6 hours having two vertebrae fused. It was one of the most stressful points in my life; she was fine one week, and the next she couldn’t move and was scheduled for surgery. If you look closely you can see the part I knit that day waiting. I couldn’t keep track of where the cables were crossed due to stress so some are 5 rows long, some the normal 6, and some are 7. The surgery went perfectly and she’s been recovering really well.

Whitewash Socks | Grainline Studio

Sometime after that surgery the Blackhawks went through a bit of a slump, so one night while Jon and I were watching the game I decided to work on these socks rather than my usual hockey knitting project, my Stone Lake Sweater. The Blackhawks won that game and from then on out Jon decided that they were lucky and I needed to knit on them for every game. Once I finished the first sock it was decided that I needed to wear the finished sock during games, since it had already been deemed lucky and the second sock was untested. I obliged – hockey fans can be very superstitious and Jon’s been one for a very long time (think kindergarden). You can see that the sock on top in the above photo is a little more stretched out than the other sock. I finished the second sock as the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, on my birthday, so really it was all meant to be (wink)!

Whitewash Socks | Grainline Studio

So that’s the story of knitting the socks, lets talk about the pattern now. It’s the BFF by Cookie A and I found it to be a great pattern to work with. It’s well written, easy to follow, and resulted in an awesome sock. Knitting cables on US 1 needles was a little painful on the hands at times, especially with all the stress knitting that went into these suckers, but it was well worth it. I would heartily recommend this pattern to anyone looking for a great sock that’s a step up from basic but still showcases a great yarn colorway.

Whitewash Socks | Grainline Studio

The yarn is Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light, which I bought for the amazing colorway – White Wash. I couldn’t fine this colorway in their sock yarn which is how I ended up using this for socks. The Tosh Merino Light isn’t as well suited for socks as their sock yarn (imagine that, haha) but it wasn’t anything I couldn’t deal with. Occasionally I’d split a stitch when I was really busy yelling at the Blackhawks but other than that it knit up just fine. I can’t say enough how beautiful this colorway is, it’s even more beautiful in person. I wish I had a million skeins to knit a sweater with this! I though it was interesting that the first sock turned out so much lighter than the second sock, but I guess this is the nature of the dying beast. I don’t mind it at all and actually find it really interesting and beautiful, but I’d thought I’d mention for those of you who are more into matching than I am. I think the subtle colorway was a perfect match for the small cables, I think it really highlights the beautiful simplicity of the pattern.

Whitewash Socks | Grainline Studio

I also forgot to mention that this was my first time doing this type of heel, I usually pick patterns that have a short row heel, so I was a bit confused when I got to that point of the pattern. If you’e one of the people on Instagram that assured me to just follow the directions and things would work out, thank you!

These are definitely my favorite socks to date that I’ve made, and they’re going to get a lot of use during the fall & winter. I really couldn’t be happier with the outcome, both of all the things I knit them during and the outcome of the socks themselves! I’m now on the lookout for my next sock pattern…so many good ones. Any recommendations of ones you’ve knit recently?

31 replies on “Whitewash Cabled Socks

• kbohemia

Love these socks! The colourway and the pattern together seem like they were meant for each other. And I like how the knitting is so intertwined with what happened in your life while you were working on them.
    Plus, pointing out the plant in the photo like a fashion blogger would lipstick makes you even more my favorite sewing blogger, just perfect! 😉

• Jen

Thanks! The monstera is still recovering from living inside an IKEA but it’s coming back to life nicely. I was worried that wouldn’t happen for a while!

• Andi

Love these socks! Thank goodness that we have knitting for these stressful times. I have knit a pair of socks up in Madelinetosh Light and they are still going strong 3 years later. 🙂

• Jen

There’s something so comforting about a repetitive task like knitting when you’re really stressed out. Definitely helps to keep calm(er). I’m glad to hear about your socks, I was a little worried since I didn’t use the sock yarn they wouldn’t be long for this world.

• Erin Gilkes

I had the light/dark sock thing happen with a pair of socks I knit with Madeline Tosh. Haven’t had it happen with any other brands yet.

I love that heel! Are you hooked? The first pair I ever knit had that heel so I haven’t tried the short row. Even without trying it I’m pretty sure the heel flap is my favourite kind. I love the body and structure of it.

I’m definitely trying this pattern when I come across a good colour way for it. 🙂 Thanks for sharing, I love it!

• Jen

So odd, I’ve not knit with other hand dyed brands so I just thought it was a hand dyed thing but maybe not? I’ve got two more skeins set for socks so I’ll have to see what happens.

I do love the heel! I haven’t worn them inside any shoes yet since it’s like 2000 degrees here right now but it’s really fun to make and unlike shortrows, nothing to lose track of while you’re making them which is super nice. I do like the short row because it’s really comfortable in shoes since it’s made to be just like a regular sock you’d buy, but I may change my tune once I try these on in shoes for a day!

• Jamie

I’m just working on a toe up vanilla sock for now and hoping to use as Fish Lips Kiss heel. Definitely calming for this particularly stressful time. I made some Rose City Rollers and they’re cute but I like longer socks (and I got pretty frustrated making them, but it’s probably because I didn’t keep an eye on my gauge).

• Jen

I have the vanilla socks on my list to make, I haven’t done any toe up socks yet so that’d be fun to try! I’ve seen a lot of the rose city rollers but I’m with you, I like longer socks.

• Jamie

Also, I really like the Modified Eye of Partridge Heel from the classic Hermione’s Everyday Socks! The garter stitch edge makes it so much easier to pick up stitches so the socks I made with that heel are the most perfect ones I’ve ever made!

• Jen

Haha, those are also on my to make list! I haven’t heard of that heel, but I’ll get to check it out when I make those. The heel on these was great because each of the edge stitches were slipped every other row so it was super easy to pick up along the edge. I don’t know if this is how all heels like this are or not since this is my first one of this type but it sure was a nice touch.

• gingermakes

These are so, so pretty! I’m looking for a new sock pattern to try, so maybe I’ll do this, although cabling on the subway seems a little risky! 🙂 I really liked Hermione’s Everyday Socks… that was my first pair of socks, and I’m working on a second pair now. There’s a really pleasing pebbly texture that’s very easy to remember, so perfect for commuting when you don’t want to be checking the instructions every two seconds.

• Jen

That’s the next pair on my to-knit list for socks! Super excited to give them a try, the texture looks so good. I’m glad to hear the stitch pattern is easy to remember though even when people say that I never can seem to memorize them. I always just space out so hard when I’m knitting. Did you post your socks somewhere? For some reason I feel like I’ve seen a tiny portion of them but I also could just be straight crazy. 😉

• Jen

Oh good, they were on IG! I thought maybe I was going crazy because I could see them in my head but then thought, omg am I making this up because I don’t remember a post about it? Hahahahaha. Also you are so far from a bad blogger, you actually post finished things unlike me, who just posts random stuff while I delay taking finished project photos!!!

• Carolyn

Thanks Jen. You have inspired me to try sock knitting. Exactly what I need for a long trip where we need to pack light.

• Jen

Socks are the perfect travel project! Super portable and so many rows so you’ll not run out of project like I’ve done many times with a hat!

• christine

These are so beautiful and impressive! I really can’t wrap my head around knitting! Also glad to hear your mom is doing well, and as a kid that grew up with Red Wings games on the TV and a frozen pond in the backyard to play hockey on, I get the love and the superstitions! Way to help the Hawks win 😉

• Jen

Thanks lady, I have a feeling you could jam the knitting hard! I know what you mean though, I literally cannot figure out crochet which leaves people baffled when I tell them that. My mom is so amazing at crochet and her mind is just blow that no matter what we tried, I just couldn’t do it. Hahaha! Also I can’t believe you had a frozen pond out back, so jealous! One year we had an ice storm and my best friend and I could skate back and forth to each others houses and it was THE COOLEST THING EVER!

• Jen

Haha maybe this isn’t the best project to learn on b/c of the cables adding an extra thing to keep track of, but if you can knit and purl I have a feeling that this would not be hard at all because the pattern is so well written. If you’re looking for a fun 1st project to get started with, maybe a cowl or something like that? It’s always more fun to learn on a project you can actually use instead of the gigantic rectangle of nothingness I first knit 😉

• bimbleandpimble

Ahh, socks! These look so snuggly and lovely and the yarn is beautiful 😀 After I finish the Lucinda I’m thinking of taking on socks for the first time- simple and easy to start though!

• Jen

How’s your Lucinda going? I cannot wait to get mine seamed up (because of course I knit mine flat) and then I need the temps to drop HARD! Socks are pretty fun, I like to knit them with no deadline in my head, that way it’s easier to avoid the dreaded second sock syndrome. They’re great to just have around next to the couch for when you need something to work on. They’re such a useful little project too!

• Charlotte

Gorgeous socks! I’m a big fan of sock knitting. My boyfriend & his friends are ridiculously superstitious about the football – one of them attended a match with food poisoning once & their team won, so that was apparently lucky!

• Jen

Bahahahahaha I’m dying, that is 100% something that would happen with hockey here too. I hope they didn’t try to replicate that!!

• Charlotte

They decided that if one of them was vaguely unwell in some way that was close enough – which may have been an excuse to go out drinking the night before…

• dianeschuller.com

Oh I love those socks, especially the colour way. I love knitting with Mad Tosh. I’m glad your mother’s surgery went well and I sure know how stressful something like that is. Happy Knitting.