Blog Goals: Posting Finished Projects

Unblogged Things I've Made | Grainline Studio

A Selection of Unblogged Things I’ve Made Pulled From my Instagram Account

I had a realization the other day, I’ve only done 3 finished project posts this year, and they’ve all been knitting. I’ve never been one to post every single thing I’ve made, but I used to do one or two a month and I’ve realized two things over the past 6 months of almost no finished garment posts. One, that I miss posting them if even just as a record of what I’ve made with details on that particular project and two, the longer you don’t post the harder it is to start back up.

I think there are a few reasons why I haven’t posted as much, the first being Instagram, where all the above photos are pulled from (@grainlinestudio). Sometimes I think if I’ve posted either a progress sewing or a mirror shot to Instagram than it’s not worth double posting back to the blog. Now that I’m typing this out I don’t actually think this is the most sound logic, especially on those in progress shots. The other reason is that as this microscopic business has grown into a small business I’ve become much busier and posting finished garments can seem a bit self-indulgent. Shouldn’t I be tending to my quickbooks or working on invoicing? Those patterns aren’t going to finish themselves & quarterly taxes are due soon!

Kendra and I recently had a good conversation about how it’s important to sew for fun when we can (and sometimes to even post about it!) because that’s basically what this business is all about! I don’t want to lose the heart of what I’m doing because I’m stuck behind the computer doing one thing or another. The week before we left on vacation we both just took the week to come in to work and sew whatever we wanted, on the clock. It was such a refreshing experience to just make a small list of things to make or finish and, with the exception of emails, sit down and do it.

So where am I going with all this? I’m setting myself a new blog goal to sew for fun and sometimes post about it! Gillan just sent me the best tweet right now while I’m typing out this post, “Play dress up with Kendra and photograph each other on the way to get ice cream!” That girl always knows what’s up, guess that’s why she’s always dishing out the sewing dares.

Have guys have any recent blog goals or struggled with posting your finished garments even when you want to? Fill me in!!

41 replies on “Blog Goals: Posting Finished Projects

• gilliancrafts

Hehehe – I’m so bossy! Just imagine me trying to control every single thing in a classroom full of 8 year olds… sometimes I come home and have trouble turning it off! I’ll get impatient if my husband doesn’t do what I ask in 10 seconds or less… yeah. Gotta work on that! 😛
    You’ve got so many beautiful makes! Scrolling down reminded me of seeing them all on IG at some point, but it’s nice to see them all together too. I hope you do post about some of them soon!

• Jen

Hahah, I love it! Who else is going to make me get out there and get this done 😉 For real though, you always have great ideas & I’m now actively trying to get back on the posting finished garments bandwagon!

• Jen

So true, I’ve clicked over via an instagram link to the full post on a garment many many times to read more about it. I suppose it makes sense that if I like to more, other people do as well

• Marie

I have several finished bits and pieces I’ve yet to blog… In all honesty it’s because I despise having my picture taken! Unfortunately flat photos just don’t quite do the job so well with clothing. Seeing your un-blogged projects makes me feel like I’m missing out with no IG so don’t fret about doubling up!

• Jen

Oh man, you and me both! I’ve hated having my photo taken for as long as I’ve been old enough to know I was getting it taken which is not great when you run a sewing blog :/

• Jen

I think that’s a problem a lot of us have. Most of the time, even though I feel awkward, I’m more comfortable bringing a tripod out and shooting on the street by myself. Might be worth a try?

• Tasia

It’s totally important to sew for fun! I also have a hard time letting myself sew for pleasure when there’s work to do. That’s awesome that you took a week to sew for fun. Makes all the hard work in the busy times worthwhile when you can still enjoy your hobby!
    I enjoy seeing what people sew for themselves, especially those in other creative businesses. I’m curious what you make for pleasure when we can already see what you make for work! I also like reading about the project as much as seeing a photo on IG – did you like making it, was there any difficulties, what parts did you change, etc.
    My least favourite part is photographing myself and editing me-photos,. I’ve decided to throw in more in-progress photos to balance it out, making it as much about the process as the finished garment.

• Jen

Balance is really something I’ve struggled with – I’m a person who always feels like they should be doing more (I have a feeling you’re the same way) so it’s been a real struggle to sew anything for myself until everything I need to do is done, which as you know, everything will never be done. I always love your posts about what you’ve made, I think your lingerie posts have basically inspired the entire sewing internet to make bras, maybe even more than the pattern releases themselves! I really like the idea of more process photos, especially since I’m always curious how people finished their seams or did this or that. Does it seem like taking photos of yourself gets harder instead of easier over time? That’s the way it feels over here – and I didn’t like doing it when it felt easier either! 😉

• Tasia

I completely agree that taking photos of yourself gets harder over time! Funny you should say that. When I first started blogging in 2010, I posted whatever photos I ended up with, good and okay ones. Not that many people were reading, and in general there were less sewing blogs, and it was normal to post photos of average quality or dress form shots. Now there are so many sewing blogs! You want to post something regularly and something good because everything you see from other people is such nice quality and so pretty. The bar is set higher, maybe. Also there’s now Pinterest and so you want to make your photos nice enough that someone may want to pin it. You and I started blogging pre-Pinterest 🙂 I believe you also started your blog for personal projects before it was about your pattern line, too, so the balance between work and personal never used to be a consideration and now it is.
        Anyways – yes! It’s hard to sew something for pleasure when you know there is work to do, and the work is what allows us the freedom to even consider sewing for pleasure during the work week.
        Thanks for the nice thoughts about my blog posts! Just another reminder that you never know who is reading your blog. 🙂

• ellegeemakes

I love instagram for the quick shots of inspiration, but prefer the details and personal stories I get from blog posts. For me, blog posts are limited by one factor – – the photos! I’m not wild about that part of the process, so it’s always the barrier to posting a project for me. I wish I could get more comfortable with it!

• Jen

Totally agree, instagram is so easy on the ‘snap a quick photo’ front but I always enjoy reading what people have to say about the process of making it and any other stories they might throw into the post!

• sewcialwarrior

I’be got loads of finished garments thus year that i’ve not blogged about. Finding the time to sew is challenging enough, let alone writing about it. I have been posting more frequently since me-made May (and my own Sewing Dare from Gillian) and this week is the first in 2 mths I haven’t posted.

• Jen

It really does take so long to do a good post doesn’t it? I always think “oh I’ll just post really quick” but by the time you’ve done the photos, edited, and then written the post it’s like a full days work! Which is fine but it can really be hard to fit into a day sometimes! Got to love Gillian, she’s so good at issuing the dares it’s scary!

• Samantha

I’m with you on the doubling up feeling of Instagram posts. But then also understand how much detail is left out in those posts. Details that I love to read from others, and that is useful as a record for myself. A real live blog post with pictures and everything does take more time, but it is worth it when I take that time…. I wish I didn’t go off on flights of fancy every time I sit down to write. A simple blog post always seems to take at least an hour of my time. Time that could be spent on ‘business’.

A conundrum of the modern sewist/blogger.

Also good to remember as a small biz person that you are your brand. People want to see what you’re doing because they feel connected to you and what you make.

• Jen

Everything you said in that first paragraph, yes yes and yes. I need to remember that I actually enjoy having the posts to look back on as well.

It’s funny, the larger the business is the more hesitant I am to post anything personal. I think I’m just recovering from getting some odd emails / comments about my body. Posting photos of myself with stories might make some feel connected but it definitely makes others feel like they can send me odd emails about how I need to “take care of myself and show some respect myself” by wearing makeup, losing weight, whatever. I kind of shut down after that and it’s taken me a log time to come back to a place where I actually feel okay posting photos of myself again. Not that they made me feel bad about myself or anything, but I just got tired of being criticized for being myself. I’m never going to look like a model, despite being a runner, it’s just not something I can do or something I even care about.

• kristin

Yes please!! I’m so inspired by your taste, and always love to see what you make, either your patterns or others’! I love seeing stories behind the fabric, alterations, etc that Instagram doesn’t really show. Also, sometimes Instagram hides things from me.

I think it’s a good thing for pattern designers to continue to sew for pleasure rather than being lost in their next release/business stuff all the time, too. It’s healthy and therapeutic for you guys to take “time out” to sew what you want to make rather than what you “have” to make, and like others have said, it helps us build that connection with you. 🙂

• Jen

Those are the exact same things I love reading about on other people’s blogs, it makes logical sense people would want to read that here too 😉 haha! It definitely makes me feel less stressed out when I get a little time to do something for myself, it’s an odd thing when your hobby becomes your job. Even though my job was patternmaking before, this is much much different!

• Rachel

That quilt is fabulous! And all your other bits… I have a similar dilemma. I sew way more than I blog, simply because I find it tricky to get photo’s a lot of the time! And even when I do, I sometimes feel I am banging in photo’s I don’t like all that much, just to get the post done! I enjoy blogging, and sewing – but sometimes it gets a bit tricky to navigate and coordinate it all!

• Jen

Thanks, I love this quilt soooo much! Blogging is a heck of a lot of coordination and so many parts…definitely hard to navigate at times!

• Cris

I LOVE the quilt! So much lovely Lizzie House in it! Soon I’ll be making up my first one. 🙂 I look forward to those posts in the future! My favourites are you knitting ones because they have been so inspiring for my own knitting. You made me want to learn how to chart a sweater pattern because yours was so lovely!

• Jen

Thanks, it’s actually all Lizzy House Catnap! I just ordered a complete fat quarter pack and chopped it up in to triangles. What are you planning for your quilt? Watch out…it’s definitely addictive…

I’m glad you’re into the knitting posts and I’m so happy you found inspiration in them! I never can tell how much people care about them since I suppose this is primarily a sewing blog. I like posting the different types of projects though, I think a lot of us do a variety of crafts though.

• Annet M

I’m an IG newbie and so I don’t remember to check it as much so I like blog posts better, despite the double-up if I happened to see it there.

I would love to know more about the bra(s?) you made – please write up a post on that one!!

• Jen

I’ll hopefully be doing a large-ish bra post, I’ve made 3 now with a few more planned. I haven’t struck on a perfect one yet so once I get that down I’ll write something up. Definitely won’t be modeling that one though 😉

• ohhyellow

Like a few other commenters, it’s the taking photos bit that I struggle with! I love to see what you make – I think you’ve got great style, so am always keen for more details/narrative than Instagram allows.

• Jen

Those photos are pesky things, but at least we’re all in that part together? Haha! I’ve committed to getting back on the posting bandwagon so there should be some new ones soon!

• Rebecca

yay! would love to see the makes in more detail (what we miss from a fleeting IG pic, especially if I don’t check my account for a few days and miss all the fun!). Also, stripes. I love stripes (and love that there are so many stripes in those IG pics up the the top there!)

• Jen

Hahaha yeah I need to cut myself off from stripes for a bit but it’s just so hard! I love them!! I also am always missing a ton of stuff on Instagram which is why I love reading other’s blog posts so much!

• Veronica Darling

Would love to see your finished sewn garments… your style is so different to mine, but I really love seeing you wearing your things… It gives me different ideas on what to make… stuff I wouldn’t try usually… But yeh, love instagram too!

• Jen

One of my favorite blogs is Tasha at By Gum, By Golly. I just love reading about her garments and she does so many great process posts. We really couldn’t have more opposite style (besides our winter boot twin situation) but I get so inspired by seeing what she makes and how she puts it together!

• Catherine

yes! i have very little motivation to blog sometimes but the sewing still happens in the back ground and by the time im ready to blog, i’ve got 6 projects ready to post about but i can only be bothered to do 1! I think tonight when i blog i will do something similar – a catch up post with all my latest projects, and just a little blurb about them, instead of an epic post with 20 photos of the same thing and an essay about how i made them

I feel less burdened already!

• Jen

Catch up posts are a great way to get back on the blogging game! Just clicked over and I love all your garments…and your hair! So good!!

• bergonia

I love both your finished project posts and your instagram posts. Both provide a lot of inspiration for my sewing and how I want my wardrobe to change/evolve. That said I think it’s okay for one of the two to have more or less activity over the course of a couple of months based on any of the many things that may change in life from day to day. Of course as someone that follows your work I wish it didn’t apply to you because maybe you are some sort of super human with time for every project I don’t have time for… but of course that logic makes no sense. I look forward to posts in the future however frequent they may be.

• Jen

I wish I was a super human, it would be so useful! But alas, I am not 🙁 I feel like I’m getting more into the blog than Instagram at the moment, but we’ll see how the wind blows.

• Pippa

I know this feeling, I keep meaning to post more finished things but I never seem to be able to get decent photos of my finished garments. There is nowhere in my house you can take photos against a plain background and I never seem to get round to getting someone else to take them for me when out of the house… 🙁

• Amy

I totally struggle with posting finished project posts, this year especially. I’ve sewn more than ever but blogged way less, and in part because I want to work on patterns, and every blog post I write takes several hours. I wish I could get faster at it! I love the idea of a catch-up post, too. I actually started my blog as a personal challenge to get decent at photography, so blogging and photos went hand in hand in my brain. But I’ve never been able to fully click with taking photos of myself. I love how they turn out but every time I set up my tripod I always think “I’d rather be behind this camera pointing at someone else.” I’m an extreme introvert!

• Julie

Well from the response above I see you are not alone – and there was me thinking it’s just me!
    I take photos as I go when making things, usually just in case, but hen editing, writing a tutorial, realising you’ve missed photos for a vital step, getting lovely finished item shots – it’s all a bit time consuming when what I really want to do is get on with the other 10 or so half finished projects I have.
    Sewing for fun sounds lovely – you should do that! (and then share it here with us too sometimes please!)