Stone Lake Sweater

Stone Lake Sweater | Grainline Studio

The Details
Pattern: Stone Lake Sweater (rav link)
Yarn: Purl Soho Line Weight in Sea Salt & Dark Loam
Needles: US 7, 8, 9
Shoes: Dieppa Restrepo Penny
In Progress Photos | #stonelakesweater on Instagram

Sometime last year between knitting my Benton, Stonecutter, and Bellows I got it into my head that I wanted to try to design and knit my own sweater. It was partially in an attempt to understand how to alter existing knitting patterns to fit exactly what I want, partially because I had a specific sweater in mind I couldn’t find a pattern for, and partially because I like a challenge. It’s a little known fact that I originally wanted to become a knitwear designer long before I got into patternmaking so I think a part of me wanted to see if I could do it. This is how the Stone Lake Sweater was born!

Stone Lake Sweater | Grainline Studio

When Jess, Amy and I hatched the Sunday Sweater KAL [instagram link] at the beginning of the year I figured that was as good a time as any to give this sweater a go! My goal for this sweater was to create something cozy that I could wear with leggings in the fall and winter (aka tunic-ish length) with sleeves slim enough that they still fit into my jean jacket. I wanted the perfect black and white marl, and a bit of cabling up the front, just enough so that you could see it from an open jacket, but I didn’t want an overall cable project.

Stone Lake Sweater | Grainline Studio

Stone Lake Sweater | Grainline Studio

Since this was my first sweater I wanted to start with something I knew fit as the base so I loosely used the measurements for the Hemlock Tee and went from there. This ended up being a fun math experiment that I think went pretty well. The yarn I used was Purl Soho Line Weight in Sea Salt and Dark Loam, not quite white and not quite black. I held two strands of the Dark Loam and one strand of Sea Salt together which created my perfect marl.

Stone Lake Sweater | Grainline Studio

Stone Lake Sweater | Grainline Studio

I essentially knit two complete sweaters while making this. After quite a bit of swatching I began knitting the sweater, completed the front, back, and one sleeve, and decided that I needed to go up in needle size because the fabric was more dense than I would have liked. At that point I knew I needed to rip out the entire thing but it took a few days for me to get actually do it. Once I started ripping though it was such a good feeling knowing that I was getting closer to my finished sweater, done the way I wanted it.

Stone Lake Sweater | Grainline Studio

I also took this opportunity to change the center front cable from a braided cable to a large horseshoe cable and I really glad I did that also. I think the first cable was too busy with the marl and this larger, softer cable looks a lot nicer. The body is reverse stockinette with cables on the front and the sleeves are regular stockinette. I’m really into the contrast between the two, I think it adds a little bit of added interest and texture to the sweater.

Stone Lake Sweater | Grainline Studio

Transitioning from the ribbing to the cables at the hem in a way that looked smooth took a bit more thought than I had imagined it would. After the last ribbing row there’s a setup row which included increases so that the cables rose out of the knit stitches evenly. This part probably took me the longest of the design / math portion of this sweater and I’m really glad I took the extra time to make it look neat and tidy.

Stone Lake Sweater | Grainline Studio

Stone Lake Sweater | Grainline Studio

I love the way the sweater turned out so much. The fabric drapes beautifully and the yarn is so soft you can wear it next to your skin with no trouble. The sweater, while warm, is incredibly light for being as large as it is, and especially with three strands held together. I’m almost sad it’s time for summer now that it’s finished…at least I can wear it up at the cottage pretty much year round! I’m super excited to try another self designed sweater and have a few ideas I’m already swatching.

P.S. More photos & slightly more technical info can be found on my Ravelry page.

25 replies on “Stone Lake Sweater

• Rebecca

Wow! beautiful sweater, and a beautiful setting! My mind basically explodes thinking about the fact you knit this sweater, let alone designed the pattern!

• Annet M

Realllllly beautiful. It makes me want to have another shot at knitting something bigger. Are you planning to publish the pattern at all?

• Kieran

Amazing! I recently finished my first ever sweater. It took four years, and i ripped nearly the whole thing out multiple times, and after finally finishing I realised it is too small 🙁 it is sitting beside my bed and I am giving it the side eye trying to figure out if I should donate it or rip it back once more 🙁

PS your hair looks amazing in these photos!

• Elaine

Your sweater not only looks great but says you persevered to make your own pattern. You are an inspiration to all of us would-be pattern makers!!

• Jo

WOW! Just wow! Absolutely beautiful and so cool that you designed and worked it all out yourself! That front cable is perfect. Well done!!

• SaSa

This is such a beautiful sweater and fits you so well! I like very much how you created the cables growing out of the ribbing. I love those details, too and it was worth the maths! It is a shame that myself things like that stop me to go further on and the knitting projects remain some months in the basket until I get the courage to move further on! How good, that the yarn is so cosy and light!
    Have a nice time, SaSa

• rillafree

Love this so much!!! I found it so liberating writing and knitting my own pattern and being able to rip out and start again. It definitely adds an exciting new dimension to the process. Gorgeous yarn choice and shape.

• bimbleandpimble

Jen, congrats on your first sweater designed by you! This is so impressive! What a fantastic puzzle to work out so you have just the piece you want 😀

• sallie

Wow!! It’s gorgeous!! I’ve been following this sweater’s progress on IG but I had no idea that you designed it yourself! No wonder it’s so perfect!! But seriously, congratulations on persevering. What an accomplishment! I can’t wait to see as some of your other ideas take shape.

• Elaine

After rereading this post I noticed your journal/booklet that you sketched your sweater in. Is this just a graph paper booklet or something else? I noticed that the inside cover seems to have knitting symbols on it.

• Melissa

I love it! It turned out so well. Perfect combination of yarn, stitch, and silhouette. So glad you hung in there, ripping can be so disheartening.

• julia

Beautiful sweater! Totally agree that the marl is *perfect*, and I love the reverse stockinette and how the white in the marl highlights the texture contrast.

Separately, I find it oddly encouraging to hear people saying how impressed/intimidated they feel at the idea of knitting a sweater — I’m an experienced and confident knitter but a baby sewer, struggling through all sorts of intimidation (and procrastination) about the ideas I have for sewing projects. I think and plan and can’t quite bring myself to take the leap. It’s good to sort of see that from the other side in hearing people’s reactions to your sweater. It’s helping me get to the point of diving in on my next sewing attempt!

• kristin

Well doesn’t that look like just the coziest sweater ever? I’d live in that thing, for real. Love it, and love your photos! Super impressive you designed the pattern yourself, too.