The Putter: Handcrafted Scissors

The Putter from shaun bloodworth on Vimeo.

I just came across this beautiful video last night of  a ‘Putter’ at Ernest Wright & Sons of Sheffield – one of the last hand manufactures of scissors – when Fleur shared a link for it on Twitter. It reminds me of the videos showing couture gowns being handmade but for some reason I find it so much more interesting and compelling to watch. It could be because I grew up watching The New Yankee Workshop and This Old House on the weekends (we never had cable and weren’t really allowed much TV), but there’s just something so satisfying about watching someone make a tool you use every day with the high level of care that this man does. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

29 replies on “The Putter: Handcrafted Scissors

• Kathryn Smart

I was lucky enough to receive one of these beautiful scissors as a Christmas gift, so satisfying to use such a beautiful handcrafted tool.

• didyoumakethat

I have ordered scissors from the wonderful Ernest and Wright. Did you know that following this video they had a massive upsurge in orders (four years worth of orders in four months) and are scrambling to keep up? I am particularly proud of these guys because I grew up down the road.

• Marie

I saw a similar video some time ago regarding the same place -only it was more interview based with the gentleman talking about his dying trade. Really interesting plus I was amazed at how reasonably priced they are so definitely plan to purchase a pair soon.

• sallie

Thank you so much for sharing! I love things like this too. I’m so happy to hear that places like this are still around. Also, how amazing are his hands?? Those hands tell stories.

• lisa g

Thanks for sharing! So cool to see how the scissors come together. And funny, I had about the exact TV situation growing up. We always watched those shows on Saturdays!

• Rochelle New

I need those scissors. I’m a firm believer in the transfer of energy and watching that video kinda made me choke up a bit (or maybe I’m just really sensitive haha!). I mean the love that went in to every single pair! …wow.

• Nina

Fascinating (although shame about the music – why machine-made music on a hand-making video?!) and now I know what scissors I want! My mum’s from Yorkshire and remembers that Sheffield used to have a red ‘halo’ from a distance because of all the steelworks, now almost all closed down. You might enjoy this video about ballet shoes (also features more British makers): http://youtu.be/YkNb_HQjsMg .

• christinehaynesdotcom

of course you watched the new yankee workshop and this old house! as did I 🙂 this is why we love those HGTV shows!

• Carolyn

This was so cool to watch! It’s amazing how he can take so much care with every single pair of scissors, over and over again. Watching him work really emphasizes what I love so much about making things with my hands – tweaking things until they’re just right, and taking pride in a well-made product. Thanks for sharing!

• Birgitte

I saw this a few months ago and totally choked up too (like Rochelle) – loved seeing the skill and experience that goes into hand-making the scissors! So happy for them too for the upsurge in business, though I hope it does them good and isn’t too much to.

• gingermakes

That is absolutely beautiful. There’s something so precious and amazing about watching someone so skilled do their job so well. Fantastic! And I loved watching This Old House with my grandpa, who only believed in educational TV and who could fix ANYTHING. I have such fond memories of that!

• Jennifer

I was born and brought up in Sheffield. Like one of the previous commentators, I remember my dad driving us kids for what seemed miles on end past the steel factories on the way to pick up my grandad, George, from work – the open sides on each foundary were huge; the amazing colours, sparks and energy were truely unforgettable. Sadly no more – Sheffield ‘s manufacturing was decimated in the 80’s and 90’s. Such enduring craftmanship makes me very proud of my heritage.

• Jennifer Hill

Lovely video, thanks for sharing! I’m definitely going to have a look for the interview video that Marie mentioned. Sheffield has always been known over here as THE place for the best cutting tools. I have a breadknife in my kitchen drawer that was one of the things I saved from my Mum’s house when I had to clear it. It was her grandparents’ and I remember it from my childhood. Though it must be at least 80 years old, possibly more, it’s still the sharpest knife in our house. Jen

• Sara

I love well made tools! I grew up in PBS and no cable, too! My favorite was the Woodwright’s Shop. This Old House was always on, too. I decided to learn to carve spoons this year because of the Woodwright’s Shop…

• Sundari Carmody

This video is spectacular isn’t it. I saw this last year right after my boyfriend gave me a pair of Merchant and Mills scissors (made in Sheffield). It was enjoyable for both of us as we love tools, handmade things, and he is in the process of building his own homemade foundry and learning metal casting.

• Deedrie

My husband ordered a pair of thread snips from EW&Sons for Christmas but he was a bit late and they haven’t arrived yet. I’m giddy with anticipation to use them!