Sew & Tell Blog Segment Ideas

Grainline Studio | Sew and Tell

It’s been a while since I’ve done a Sew & Tell post and I’m trying to decide if I should bring it back to the blog. I was previously pulling from the Grainline Studio Flickr Group but the problem is that a lot of people no longer use Flickr. I’ve been trying to figure out a better way to find new garments to feature since I don’t have much time lately to read blogs. A few of my ideas for this include the following…

• Have people pin from their posts to Pinterest with a specific hashtag
  • Use a general social media hashtag
  • Continue using the Flickr Group
  • Trolling sites like Kollabora for projects

The problem I’m afraid of running into with some of these methods is that I don’t have a ton of extra time to look around. Right now my weeks are about 80% computer work, answering emails, shipping, and other tasks required to run a business and only about 20% (if I’m lucky) sewing and working on other creative things like new patterns and tutorials. Obviously I don’t want to add too much to the non-creative side or we’ll never have a new pattern or tutorial again but I love showcasing the absolutely amazing things you guys do with the patterns. Right now I’m leaning towards the Pinterest tag, it seems like absolutely everyone has a Pinterest account and most people have a board featuring the garment’s they’ve made, while the others are a bit more spotty with participation. What’s your favorite form of social media? Any thoughts about what you might prefer? Ideas I haven’t thought of? Fill me in!

34 replies on “Sew & Tell Blog Segment Ideas

• gilliancrafts

Pinterest works! Or even (not that I know how to o this, but I know it’s possible!) make a google form that you can direct people towards if they are interested in being featured! Say someone tweets/pins/blogs a really cool make, you just say, “Hey, wanna be featured at some point? Go fill out this form!” They fill in the construction details, fabric, alterations, impressions, links to photos etc…Then whenever you have time, you can email to ask more questions or just bang it together into a post! Quick and easy!

• house of pinheiro

I would say instagram/twitter with a hashtag, maybe something like what Papercut use because goes on her webstie directly, eliminating the need for you to search/post so no taking too much of your time.

• Ashleigh | Mish-Mash Made

Hi Jen! A facebook sew & tell group might work well? Then people can upload their photos right to you, and, perhaps, even receive help from other group members on projects. I’m in a few groups for kids clothing and they work really well! Happy weekend!!

• Katherine

Definitely form a board on Pintrest. Boards can have group status, such as Laura Mae’s “Vintage Patterns I Would Like to Own” which you can ask to join and then pin onto. You may already know this!

• Miss Celie

I say Pinterest. But, also in all mediums, ask people to hashtag #grainline or something. That way you can easily search any medium from Pinterest, twitter, Instagram. The only place it might not work is for actual blogs.

• joellestlaurent

oh gee, whatever is easiest for you! we do want you to have time to be creative and create new patterns! both for your sake and ours, less computer time, hehe. and eh, can you hastag on pinterest? i love pinterest otherwise, and i’m sure it would be a great way to gather some grainline studio inspiration!

• Carol

Have never put any of my work on Pinterest but would love to start. Just ordered my first Grainline Studio pattern and looking forward to using it. Finding fabric comes next, of course . Love your work!

• Helen // Grosgrain Green

Pinterest, instagram or Twitter – you favourited my twitter post on my Moss this week! A general hashtag would work too, if you can hashtag in Pinterest? That would probably save you a lot of time! But, while I do enjoy the Sew and Tell type posts, like joelle says above – we would rather you were able to spend more time being creative! So, whatever you do, keep it simple!

• caitlin

Are you familiar with ifttt.com? You can create little automations between platforms so all the instagramers can Instagram, all the pinners pin, but then they get sent straight to you in an email or a Google doc or Dropbox. I used for all kinds of random things.

• Kelly

Instagram! I’m not great with social media, even Pinterest, but for some reason Instagram really works for me. Actually, in the last week I searched a few sewing-related hashtags for inspiration, including Archer!

• rycrafty

I think Instagram! Check and see if anyone has hashtagged #grainlinestudio, or try your pattern names! I’m sure there’s tons out there. Maybe with new patterns, choose a hashtag, and include it in the pattern info? That’ll help keep things a bit more uniform (no checking #archershirt, #grainlinearcher, #archerbuttonup, etc)

• Kelly

I am definitely a fan of Instagram, but Pinterest works too! I stopped working with Flickr, just because something had to go and that was the one I was enjoying the least.

• Grace

I still use flickr for photos in conjunction with my blog and raverly, and I add my indie makes to their relevant groups when I have a worthy photo. I usually tweet/instagram when I have a blog post so I think a general hashtag would be appropriate. I don’t really use Kollabora and I don’t pin my own makes.

• thesinisterscribe

I like the hashtag idea on pinterest or instagram. Haven’t tried kollabora so far. I use the other two so much and I wouldn’t want to add another to the list. 🙁

• sage

Anytime I want to see garments made by others, I check pinterest. I did this with your archer, the hemlock, and the linden sweatshirt. I love seeing inspiration and variations. It’s also easy to keep track of what I like by simply pinning it to my own board. 🙂

• seamstressandtheband

Instagram. hands down. I’ve never posted personal work on Pinterest even though I use it a lot. Something about the unlimited sharing the misconstruing of information that happens there. A hashtag is a great idea. For any platform.

But honestly, whatever is easiest for you. Creative time is important. Very important. Keep it under lock and key!!

• Nina

I still use Flickr and don’t have an account on Pinterest or Instagram. Flickr seems more inclusive than Instagram, because it’s not just for fancy phones. Also, did everyone just decide to ignore the intellectual property issues with Pinterest (which seemed pretty serious), or were they solved?

• sam bush

You could use the app IFTTT (If This Then That) to create a search on any social media platform for #aldershirtdress and send you an email with what it finds. Literally any time someone uses that hashtag, you’ll get an email (or text or push alert, whichever you choose) it’s really simple to set up and will let you get submissions from all of the social networks you could imagine.

• sam bush

You could also set it up to find the hashtagged posts and put a link to each in a google doc along with info about the account that posted each. The possibilities are really endless.