Mariner Stripe Linden Sweater

Grainline Studio | Mariner Stripe Linden Sweater

Pattern: Linden Sweatshirt
Fabric: Body / Ribbing
Size: 2 at bust graded to 6 at hips
Modifications: Finished neckband is 1″ and hem ribbing is split at side seams with longer ribbing in back.

Grainline Studio | Mariner Stripe Linden Sweater

One thing I really wanted to try out while working on the Linden pattern but never had time to do was making it up in a sweater knit. I finally set aside a little time last week to make this happen and I’m super glad I did, I’ve been wearing it kind of nonstop since I finished it! The entire sweater was sewn on my serger and to keep the sweater look I didn’t coverstitch around the neck like I usually do on my sweatshirts.

Grainline Studio | Mariner Stripe Linden Sweater

Grainline Studio | Mariner Stripe Linden Sweater

I made a few changes to the pattern for this version, the first was the hem. Instead of doing the standard ribbing I did a split at the side seam and lengthened the back ribbing by 3/4″ which I thought would go nicely with the mariner stripe knit.

Grainline Studio | Mariner Stripe Linden Sweater

Grainline Studio | Mariner Stripe Linden Sweater

The other modification I made was widening the neck band by a bit. To give it more of a sweater and less of a sweatshirt look I made the neckband so that the finished measurement is 1″ when attached. The ribbing I used is a hacci knit so it’s more reminiscent of a sweater rib than regular ribbing which I liked with the main ribbing fabric.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Grainline Studio | Mariner Stripe Linden Sweater

The sizing on this one is cut according to my actual bust (33″ sz. 2) and hip (38″ sz. 6) measurements as opposed to the other two I posted which were a bit oversized due to the fact that my dress form is a little larger than me. I cut the sleeves in a straight 2 and blended through the waist to go from one size to the other. I’m really happy with the fit on this one!

Grainline Studio | Mariner Stripe Linden Sweater

Now that we’ve got the sweater details out of the way, can we talk about something else? Photographing our projects. For a long time I would either photograph them at home with terrible lighting or make someone else take them for me. This resulted in my posting about maybe 1/4 of the garments I’ve made over the past year, some of my very favorites never make it to the blog. Jon’s been taking my photos lately but now that it’s getting darker earlier he doesn’t make it home in time for us to head out, that and I feel kind of bad jumping on him right when he gets home to go take photos of my shirt.

Grainline Studio | Mariner Stripe Linden Sweater

Soooooo I’ve started doing this new and kind of mortifying thing….taking my camera out on a tripod in my neighborhood and using the self timer. I feel 100% like a total nut job when I do this! I’ve done it a few times now and it seems to be getting easier but I’m not used to waiting the 12 seconds before the camera goes, and combined with the super windy days we’ve been having here lately leaves me with like 10,000 insane looking photos (like these last 3 outtakes).

Grainline Studio | Mariner Stripe Linden Sweater

So much hair in my face in SO MANY photos!!! It’s kind of hilarious the things we do as sewing bloggers, like wandering around with an actual camera and tripod taking photos of your shirt so you can post it on the internet. From my IG post about this topic, I think I’m not alone, tell me you guys do this too?

38 replies on “Mariner Stripe Linden Sweater

• gilliancrafts

You need a remote!!! I use a tripod and remote most of the time (and my husband takes my pics on occasion). I like the remote because I can take lots of pics quite quickly. I do feel totally silly taking pics, but like you say, it’s just the only practical way to get pics done! 🙂

• Jen

It’s funny because I actually kind of crack myself up doing these weird tripod photos and I definitely need to get a remote! With my other camera there’s an iPhone remote app which is great but that thing is way to heavy to haul around. I’m on the hunt now!

• Rachel

Funny you mention struggling with photography, having issues with taking photos has been is a huge obstacle for me starting my own blog. I find writing content is so easy, but taking pictures of myself? Difficult! This was definitely inspiring though, I need to work on overcoming this 🙂

• Jen

It’s definitely the most challenging part of blogging I think, at least for me and from what I’ve heard a lot of others as well. I promise it gets a little tiny bit easier every time, I’m still pretty horrible at it but I really was the worst of the worst to start out with. You can totally do it!

• Chantal

This is my favourite sweatshirt version so far! I feel exactly the same way about taking pictures. It’s just so awkward to take pictures of yourself in a public place, even with a remote. I tend to avoid it for long stretches of time, which is why my blog gets so neglected sometimes… And when I do eventually get around to taking pictures, I just try to get it over with as quickly as possible which results in less than stellar photos. I’m not sure what the solution is, but I’m interested to hear what others have to say about it!

• Gina

I am terrified at the thought of hanging out on a Chicago sidewalk to take picture for my blog – maybe if I move somewhere less busy I’ll start going outside. I thought of taking pictures in my alley, but then if someone walks by, I think it would be even weirder than being on the sidewalk with lots of people walking by. People in Logan Square are always doing something weird outside, so I should probably just suck it up, but I can’t bring myself to do it! I commend you for your bravery!

• rycrafty

I bought a remote for my camera from this ebay store: http://www.ebay.com/usr/rainbowstoreonline?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2754 The remote cost all of $2, and it is amazing. It has the ‘take the picture now’ button, and a 2s-delay button, which is great for pressing, the hiding/dropping the remote. Love it!

Sadly, I’m rarely home in daylight, so I have a few projects waiting to be photographed. And I haven’t been brave enough to take the whole thing outside yet.

• Helena@grayallday

Uh, yes, taking pictures is the hardest part. I can’t seem to get a real life person to take them, or the weather is bad, or I didn’t comb my hair that day. I’m so glad you braved the awkward self-timer for us. That sweater is lovely!

• sparkleneedles

Hahahaha brilliant! I love the hair in the face shots! God, I think I might need to invest in a tripod to, but it seems so mortifying: like taking a really poncy selfie!! It pays off though: your photos are lovely! Well done for being brave

• annekecaramin

I’m lucky enough to have a boyfriend who works from home, so he can usually make some time to go out and take pictures… but I do tend to go for quieter spots on days when there’s not too many people around, otherwise I get so shy all the pictures turn out super awkward!

• Birgitte

I agree with the remote suggestions! I got one for Christmas last year, and while I haven’t had to take this whole set-up out to the streets (the apartment had a patio I’d use), I was blown away by how much easier, better, simpler, less-stress it was to use a remote rather than running back and forth. Besides – you click the remote button and it takes the picture immediately, so you don’t have to guess at when the picture happens and have a million half-shut-eyes-pictures. I’m the worst at closing my eyes just as the shutter opens. Oops.

• Mady

I love this! I have to try Linden in a sweater knit ASAP! As for photographing outfits, I suggest getting a camera remote! It just makes the whole process much easier and quicker!

• niekemieke

I feel very self conscious when taking my pictures but I don’t have room inside my house. I’ve asked my husband a few times but he makes me feel awkward. And since I’m not brave enough yet to venture out in my neighbourhood with a tripod and remote (totally get a remote) I’m happy I finally realised I can use my backdoor and wall for pictures. I hope it builds my confidence until I’m brave enough to explore the alleys around my house 🙂

• Angelica

I also uses a tripod and self-timer to take photos around my neighborhood. I have set my timer to wait 10 seconds and then take 1 picture every 2 seconds, 10 pictures total. This way, I don’t have to walk back and forth so much, and 2 seconds are enough for me to change pose or position.

I used to live with my aunt and used her backyard for photos, so it is a relatively new thing for me to take pictures in public. I live in a big building block, but I have found 2 small parks nearby where I can take pictures.

• Sara

Yes. My neighbors must think I’m crazy… Hitting the shutter button on the tripod and running to strike a pose. I’m seriously considering a remote, as someone else suggested.

• Rise

Nice! I really like this version, and I must say too, I have loved seeing your hair go grey (partly because mine is currently doing the same). You look great!

• Jana

Another remote user here. Sometimes I get my boyfriend to take my pictures, but otherwise I use the tripod and remote.
    Seriously, you guys who are using the self timer and have cameras which work with a remote? Go get a remote! It’s really cheap (I have a Nikon camera and just bought a no-name remote, it works fine) and it makes things much easier. On my camera, I can even choose whether I want to take the picture when I push the remote button or with a delay so I can hide the remote.
    I take a ton of photos and just sort through them later. Out of a hundred photos, there are usually a few that look okay. (:

• sallie

This is why my hair is almost always in a topknot in my blog photos!! It is ALWAYS windy where I live, and it can make for some totally cuh-RAZY photos! My other wind pet peeve, besides the hair in the face, is when the wind blows dresses tight against you so you can see the outline of the body. Not attractive! And yes, I totally feel like a crazy person taking blog photos! Haha! Self-timers definitely make the whole thing even more awkward, although it was still pretty awkward when I used a remote (before I lost it). Oh blogging… what a weird thing…

Love this sweater!! The fit is really awesome!

• Grace

This is the number one reason why I don’t blog finished garments more often. My point and shoot has a weird timer that makes almost no noise and no blinking light so I have no idea when it’s going to snap, I only hear the shutter release if it’s quiet enough in the street, which is never.
    I’m also insanely picky about photographs of people. I think I do a good job (my friends will agree) but everyone else, not so much. I hate a full body shot that has my feet cut off, or a cowboy shot cut off at the low hip, or a portrait shot cut off at the boobs. I hate when the camera is tilted in a way that makes the proportions off. I hate when the camera is too close (less than 10 feet) because I know it will make my boobs look even bigger than they are. I hate that my darling husband doesn’t give ANY direction, like, “don’t slouch” or “smile”, or even “1,2,3!”
    Anyway, I don’t mind your tripod shots. They don’t do any of the things that drive me bonkers so I think they are a success, even if they are a pain to take.

• Melissa

The version in hacci is so cute! I’m a big fan of the hem split right now. I don’t have a tripod at the moment, so I don’t get anything blogged in a timely fashion. However, even if I did have one, I’m not sure I’d have the nerve to go out on a NYC street and set it up!

• misspatch

ah yes, this is where the advantage of having a private backyard comes in! hard to find privacy outdoors in the city. but i think the photos look great, and they’ll only get better!

• Kelly

Dude- you need a remote! I have mine set on a 3 second delay, so I can sort of hide the remote after pushing the button. I usually take about 75 pics in 10-15 min, done. Out of those….I get maybe 5-10 good ones, haha. But if I’m really in a rush I can do it in 5-10 min. I still feel like a total dork, every single time. I try to find alleys and underpasses or other not so populated places that are not too sketchy. Love the sweater!! I have to finish up my Archers but after that I want to make a zillion of these 🙂

• Angela Hickman

I have totally done this, and it is awkward. Especially the running back and forth thing. The hardest thing for me is finding somewhere sort of secluded so I don’t have people walking by and gawking all the time. So tricky, but I hear it gets easier with practice.

• Sara Berkes

Photos are the reason I only have 6 posts up on my blog, and SO MANY THINGS I haven’t taken photos of. I hate doing it. Even though there’s a park across the street from my house that is barely populated, I feel so stupid, it takes me a while to set up the tripod and get the distance right, and I’m also totally unphotogenic (lurkers will note there are only ever photos of one side of my body. My photography teacher in design school taught us that we all have a side, and now that I’ve learned mine it’s the only side I will photograph from till the end of time). I also have the curly hair conundrum of it only looks really good the day I wash it, but because I wake up late and it now gets dark early, there’s maybe half an hour of dry hair in daylight there for me to photograph. Oh the conundrums of our lives.

• Allyson

Sewing and knitting bloggers alike! I’m super into taking my tripod out on the town now! At first I felt like a super freak, but now I love it. People looking at me wondering what I’m doing and trying to figure out if I’m famous or not! Haha

Get a remote and you’ll get really into it, I promise!

• Samantha BennettLepel

Totally and utterly unrelated (by the way, have fallen in love with the blog, designs, knits, all of it) but I need to know about the shoes you are wearing in this. I love them, they’re loafers, they’re flats, they’re great. Any leads would be much appreciated : ) Happy New Year!