Linden Sweatshirt View B

Grainline Studio | Linden Sweatshirt View B

Pattern: Linden Sweatshirt View B
Self Fabric: French Terry
Ribbing: None used
Size: Straight 6 because it needed to be photographed on my dress form. Typically I would use a 2 or 4 bust graded down to a 4 or 6 at the hip depending on the fit I wanted.

Grainline Studio | Linden Sweatshirt View B

View B of the Linden Sweatshirt is something I tried on a whim while working on the development of the pattern. I’d seen a cropped sweatshirt somewhere (probably Pinterest though I can’t remember now) and loved the way it looked on the girl wearing it. She was, of course, super crazy thin and I figured there was no way this would work on me. I had some extra fabric though and figured if I tried it and hated it it would only cost me about $5. Anyway I tried it and loved it! The trick to wearing a cropped top is to have the right proportions, this top hits around the high hip so even wearing it without a tank underneath wouldn’t reveal any skin but you still get the long leg illusion. The other thing that makes this more flattering than just cropping off the bottom is a very slight difference in the length of the front and the back, not enough to notice, but just enough that it makes the top infinitely more flattering than if the front and the back were the exact same length.

Grainline Studio | Linden Sweatshirt View B

For this version of View B of the Linden Sweatshirt I also assembled the entire thing on the serger with the exception of the neckline, where I applied a self binding using the chainstitch function of my coversitich machine. This isn’t included in the instructions but I will be covering this on the blog. It’s a great alternative for when you absolutely cannot find ribbing that matches your fabric.

I’m also undecided on doing a sew along with this pattern. I have a lot of tips on sewing with knits and finishing things like the neckline but the pattern is so simple I’m worried it will be pretty boring. Are you guys interested in a sew along or should I just move on to other things? Let me know!

33 replies on “Linden Sweatshirt View B

• kbohemia

Looks great! I think a sew along would maybe be too much but maybe a post or two with some tips & tricks on sewing knits, especially things like hems and necklines without a coverlock and such!

• Jessie

I agree- totally on board with what kbohemia suggests in terms of the tips/tricks post. I don’t have a coverstitch or serger and always love to see how these things are done with my old-school machine!

• Karene

Oh I would love to tips and tricks when you are sewing with a cover stitch. I know that most people don’t own a cover stitch but the blogosphere is full of tips on how to sew knits without a serger… And not so much about the serger and the cover stitch. I really like to sew knits and learning how you finish the neckbands would be so cool. Have a nice day, you are an inspiration as a pattern designer!

• Shivani

I was also going to suggest a tips/tricks style post instead of a complete sew along.

Also, on view A, would a band work instead of ribbing at the relevant places? Good ribbing is hard to find in the UK.

• Jen

Yep, a band totally works, the pattern includes yardages and cutting layouts for using either the self fabric or ribbing for the bands. We’ve done both ways and we love them both!

• Chloe W

I would love to see a sewalong as I have never sewed with knits before (and don’t have a serger). Feel like I need a little hand-holding especially since I want to make about a billion of these. 🙂

• blancapate

I love this cropped version so much, I also think it’d be really cute in the springtime with a high-waisted skirt (or winter, too, with tights and boots). I love reading about how designers come up with proportions of the garment when making a pattern!! To me it’s fascinating – something that I never really think about when I’m getting dressed or planning my own wardrobe, but it’s so interesting to hear about from professionals who went to school and learned about this type of thing! Also, as much as I love the hand-holding of a sew along, it might be best for everyone to just tackle the more tricky parts of sewing the sweatshirt in a couple of posts (like cover how to attach ribbing fabric, or different variations of the neckline finishes). So excited to get started on this one!! Also, thanks for linking up to the fabric that you used!! 🙂

• sarah

your sew alongs and tips are the best–i think that even if we know a lot of the information already it will still be interesting. sometimes one good tip can really change everything!

• lsaspacey

I don’t know about a sewalong for this one, but I would love to know more details about the original sweatshirt you made moths ago, the cream one.. I notice the ribbing was much wider and that’s what I loved about it and made it different from others I’ve seen. You didn’t do that neckline with either examples of this pattern, perhaps you could cover that one on the blog? Thanks!

• Jen

Unfortunately a band that wide working out depends on the stretch of the ribbing you’re using. When I tested it out in different fabrics it worked out about half the time without gaping. The smaller band has a much higher success rate so I went with that for the pattern. You can actually just widen the neck band to the width you’d like if you want a wider band. I’d recommend using a 1×1 rib piece of ribbing for this. I may touch on that in a post, hadn’t thought of it previously.

• kelbournewoolens

I agree, a few posts on tips + tricks would be enough. I think one of the things that makes your patterns so great is the professional end result that sewers can easily achieve. Now that you’ve published an exclusively knit pattern, a few notes on working with knits to achieve the same quality end result would be welcome. If I was able to make some special requests, I’d love to see some tutorials on using the serger for finishing – the coverstitches, etc.

• Katie S.

As a beginner, I’m really excited that you’re thinking about a sewalong. However, I know they must be a lot of work for you. I have benefited greatly from all the information you’ve packed into your other series and would enthusiastically follow along if you decided to produce another (especially since I’ve only ever worked with wovens). Your techniques produce such professional results and you do a really excellent job of explaining and illustrating them. That really makes excellent results accessible to anyone.

• Gillian

Would really appreciate any tips, particularly on alternatives to ribbing. As Shivani mentioned it isn’t easy to find in the UK. It looks great on you btw.

• Jen

You can actually just use the self fabric for the ribbing pieces, there are yardages and cutting layouts for either option included! My assistant Kendra made a super cute Linden using a lightweight jersey with the bands cut from the same fabric as the body…I should have taken a photo of her today!

• lisa g

this is really cute! i’d love to see any tips/tricks about the coverhem and chainstitching. i haven’t really utilized that function on mine yet, and there are far less resources out there!

• gilliancrafts

One thing I notice about people is that there are ALWAYS questions about sewing with knits! A quick little sewalong might be a good idea? (Looks great, btw!)

• Misty

I Would love a tips and tricks post. I’d love to see different necklines and how to decrease the raglan armsyce depth to be less roomy in the underarm area.

• Amy

Cool alternative! Having the right proportions on a crop top–you’re so right. I really want to wear a sweatshirt crop with something kinda silky underneath this winter. I filled a secret board with ideas and it was definitely hard to imagine on myself because all the models or street style people were so tiny and tall. Gonna experiment with this one, too.

It’d also be fun to hear some tips on sewing with a coverstitch (as some of us do have them!) but they are rarely discussed. I’m still practicing using a binder for knits but I keep going back to this method you’re using here (just finishing the edge).

• julie d.

i love love love this version! i am not super thin, but i still wear boxy cropped things on occasion. i always feel like those silhouettes look better when i wear something fitted below, like the jeans you’re wearing in the pics above.

• jumliana

I agree with the comments on doing maybe a few posts on tricks and tips… but since it is indeed a simple piece, maybe a quick sewalong would do well.. one or two days only. I believe it would be easier in the future for people who would look for information about this.
    I dunno, just a thought.
    O really like the way you constructed both views of the pattern, it is just my number 🙂
    Do you think view B could work also with woven fabric?
    thanks