Sewn: Black + White Sleeved Alder

Grainline Studio | Sewn: Black + White Sleeved Alder

Pattern: Alder Shirtdress View A with sleeves from the Archer Button Up
Pattern Tutorial: Archer + Alder Variation
Fabric: Carolina Gingham 1″ from Robert Kaufman
Shoes: Rachel Comey Penpals (cause someone always asks about the shoes)

I posted the tutorial on this dress last Friday but since the weather has been a bit rainy here in Chicago I only got pictures of me wearing it this weekend. Can you tell it’s really cold out in these photos? No matter how hard I try to look warm I can always tell I’m freezing cold. I think the arms smashed to my sides with my hands tucked up in the cuffs is what gives it away.

Grainline Studio | Sewn: Black + White Sleeved Alder

Anyway, I’m really happy with how this dress turned out, I think the pattern and fabric are so perfect together. At first I was really bummed to cut into this amazing gingham fabric because I really wanted to make an Archer out of it but I was a half yard short on the other two plaids I intended to use for this. Now that it’s done and I’ve worn it I’m really glad I chopped it up into this Alder Archer combo, the fabric is pretty much the perfect weight and stiffness for a dress like this. I always find myself getting obsessed with certain fabrics and wishing I had a zillion yards of each. This is kind of one of those.

Grainline Studio | Sewn: Black + White Sleeved Alder

I’ve seen a few people posting funny outtakes though recently and thought I’d get into the fun, this is just one of the many blurry photos where I just couldn’t stand still. I think I’ll be getting a lot of wear out of this dress over the fall and winter, I can see it being pretty good for layering with other fall garments so I’m excited about that prospect.

One last thing, lately I’ve been having a hard time figuring out what to write when I do these finished garment posts. Besides pattern name and fabric, is there anything in particular you like to know about a garment in a post like this? I’ve got a lot of them coming up so I’m going to need to get this figured out, definitely a bit rusty! I used to do these all the time and it was so much easier. Maybe I just need to get back into it and it’ll come to me.

22 replies on β€œSewn: Black + White Sleeved Alderβ€œ

• kbohemia

Love it, it is very ‘you’! πŸ™‚

What I like in finished garments posts are pretty pictures (but you always have those ayway!), with maybe a few detail shots! And some info on pattern adjustments and the resulting fit and construction stuff like how did you finish the seams or necklines, what kind of hem, in what order did you sew the collar etc. Through your sew along most of this stuff is already clear, but with ‘new’/not repeated makes that’s what I want to read about (+ obv. how you like it, how you wear it but you already do that as well!)
    And when there is no link to the fabric I also like to read about the drape/weight/fiber of the fabric because sometimes this stuff doesn’t get across from the pictures only and it’s interesting to see how the type of fabric creates the look/feel of the finished garment!

Sorry, hope I haven’t blabbered you to death with all this!

• Katie

Personally alongside modelled shots I like to see detail and’ ‘guts’ shots with the garment flat or hanging up – I just like to snoop on how others finish their garments, and hopefully pick up the odd tip.

• kristi

So excited to see a tutorial for sleeves. I’ve been wearing my sleeveless Alder for a few weeks with a cardi, pretending my cotton linen blend was seasonally appropriate for fall. No more pretending, I’m making one with sleeves. Love your fabric.

I like to compare other people’s measurements to the size/changes they made. Anything to give a better idea of how it might fit me in the end.

• Francis

You look great! We want to see how the item looks on a real person and see how you have styled it. Sometimes you tells us what the accessories are that make up the total outfit.

• lisa g

this looks great! love the gingham fabric too. funny, on the bolt i’m never drawn to gingham, but made up as shirts or shirt dresses i just love it! for posts, personally i like all the technical info, but since you’re using patterns i’m already very familiar with (and have been discussed in your amazing sew a longs) the pretty pics and deets about the fabric are enough for me!

• Katie Emma

How many yards did it take to make this version? I have 3 yards of plaid flannel I’d like to use but haven’t sat down with the pattern pieces yet to see if it will fit.

• Katie

One thing I love to see on garment posts, although it’s a bit personal, are the size(s) that were used… mostly because that helps me determine how it would fit on my body. But all the other info you have listed is great!

• thequirkypeach

Love this fabric!!! And the outtake pic – always fun πŸ™‚

For finished garment posts, I like to include notes on the pattern, fabric, sizing/fit and alterations, construction notes, and wearability. I know it’s a lot to read if you’re just browsing, but that’s what the photos are for πŸ™‚

• Jo

Lovely! And actually, I appreciate your outtake pic the most, because it shows how the dress moves in “real life”. I find when I’m ‘modelling’ my own garments – standing still and posing, however naturally – that it can be difficult to really show what they’re actually like when I’m wearing them all day. So I guess that’s my thought to throw in about finished outfit posts!

• gilliancrafts

I love how you style your clothes – the plaid and gingham and brown booties make me happy! I enjoy your posts as is, but if you are wondering how to shake them up, then sometimes chatty stuff is nice, like what you are listening to as you sew or what went wrong as you sewed. (Please tell me that even you make sleepy mistakes sometimes!) πŸ˜‰

• kristin

Ohhhh I want this dress. Love it with the tights and booties too. Yeah what other gals said – I personally like to know sizing and any fit changes made and I’m not sure if you mentioned in the sewalong how many yards it takes to make an alderarcher? Curious about that. I’ve got a smaller gingham that I’d love to use but might not be able to eek out the sleeves…

• Sasha

Love the look of it! It’s such a strong statement piece for fall ! This pattern in it’s original interpretation was not really my style, but in this form … ohhh … I can’t wait to make this!

• sarah

i love this blog the most because you’re attention to detail is amazing and your style seems consistently simply and beautiful. i love when you share your tips that are more “professional” or even just from lots of experience. it may seem so simple to you but revolutionary to us! i remember the passing comment about using a #2 pencil for marking had everyone blown away πŸ™‚

• Sara

So cute! I totally get that way with fabrics. Sometimes it paralyses me a bit and I find I can’t pick a project to use it for because I’m so worried that down the line I’ll want it for something else. Which is a bit ridiculous, because I basically fall in love with a new fabric a week, but that fear is still there.

• Kelly

Oooo, I really like this one! It will look so good all layered up too. With your posts I just like seeing the photos and any notes about the fabric type/weight/drape, things like that. I think you do a good job already so I wouldn’t say you need to add that much.

• amyalan

I loooooove this and I am so incredibly excited to sew one up after this baby is born. I was working on a pattern for myself just like this, but I stopped once I learned I was expecting because I knew my body would probably change in ways I couldn’t account for. Now I don’t have to do the work once she’s born because you have! Yaaaaay! πŸ™‚

Seriously. I’M SO EXCITED!