Progress and Plans of Sweaters and Knits

Grainline Studio | Plans of Sweaters and Knits
It’s getting to be fall which is always a time where I start reassessing my wardrobe. Probably something to do with the ingrained back to school feeling, the fact that fall is my favorite season, my love for long sleeves and layering, or some combination of the those. Whatever the reason I always want to do a little refresh at this time of the year. I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to make for myself this upcoming season and it’s been a bit hard for me. I’ve been away from the blog pretty consistently for about 9 months now, posting here and there when I had time or felt like I had something to say, while working to re-launch the pattern line, and I feel like I’m just finally getting back to figuring out what I’m doing here. I think the huge changes I’ve gone through personally and business wise over the past almost two years have really changed both who I am as a person and my style – probably the fact that I’m now 32 has something to do with these changes too, ha!
Grainline Studio | Plans of Sweaters and Knits

Last night we were trying to take count of all the clothing I’ve purchased this year (excluding socks & undergarments) and we came up with 3 tees, 2 tanks, 1 sweater, and 1 dress. I’d like to start replacing some of the tees with the jersey above on the left and perhaps make a pattern for my ideal tank. Most of the fabric on the right is earmarked for some pattern samples and variations which I’ll be stealing post shoot. I’m never going to be a person who feels like I need to make every single thing in my wardrobe so I don’t feel bad purchasing things, and now that I make most of my clothes the few things I do buy I’m able to spend a bit more on quality products I love that will last. Quality fabrics & yarns too. I’ve got other fall sewing ideas but for now I’m still finalizing them.

This post went on a bit of a ramble but I suppose that’s alright from time to time. Since we’re just mulling along here I’ve gotten a lot of questions and curiosity about whether Grainline Studio is my full time job or not. It is and has been for a while now. Thanks to all you guys for supporting this little business and helping me to make it grow!

17 replies on “Progress and Plans of Sweaters and Knits

• Gail

Yes to making your perfect tank pattern! If you share it with us, of course 😉

Over the last year or so, I’ve found myself shifting in style too, and believe it or not, you are one of my style icons! I really love your style, so I look forward to posts like this where you talk about the pieces you like. And of course, any patterns you release!

• Michelle

If you could make your patterns in larger sizes to accommodate us bigger girls maybe to a 50 in bust would be fantastic, you would get alot more customers as not many indie designers look after us bigger girls

• maddie

The weather really changed here in Philadelphia the past week and it has me thinking about fall sewing as well. I have a jacket in the making – but it’s a small feat to the sweater above. Knitting is overwhelming for me.

• lisa g

i love the colors and fabrics you have here! fall is always my favorite season, but strangely it’s one i’ve sewn the least for… not sure why that is! i’ve loved seeing your business grow, and, i have to admit, i think my style has changed/evolved because of your influence. you made it okay to embrace clothes that i can wear everyday and still be stylish. keep up the good work!

• gingermakes

That sweater! It’s just so beautiful! My style has definitely changed tons in the last few years. Since I have always been a shopper on a very tight budget, I often bought things I didn’t even like just because they were the affordable choice. Now that I can sew and have enough sewing proficiency that I can make most things I want to wear, I can dress in a way that feels really authentic for the first time. I feel like I look like myself, if that makes any sense. I can imagine that being able to design your own patterns means that you can REALLY dress the way you want to- so awesome!

• Katie Emma

I am so guilty of that too – buying clothes because they’re on sale, not because I really like them. Now I have to try not to do that with sewing – don’t buy fabric just because it’s on sale, and don’t make things I won’t actually want to wear!

• symondezyn

I love that pile of jersey you have there – beautiful colours and textures; I would sew with knits a lot more often if I could get my hands on jersey like that!! ^_^ Looking forward to seeing what you make with them 🙂

• Grace

I also have a list of things I’d like to sew this Fall, many basics. I’m trying to keep the list short since I only accomplished about 4 garments this summer. I’m taking a knitwear class at FIT this semester as well and we are fortunate to be able to draft our knitwear slopers for ourselves. I am now in in possession of a fit corrected knit block including sleeves! I’m starting to seriously consider purchasing a cover stitch machine.

• sj kurtz

My favorite tank is turning out to be a mashup between an old Burda bias tank pattern and some comment I read at some point about fitting for the upper bust, no matter how big or small you might be below that point. Flaring out below the armsceye slightly, it fits well, no gaps, great layering piece. Tanks goooooood.

• kristin

Mmmm fall. I’m excited to see all you have coming – you are a huge inspiration to me to create a handmade wardrobe, though I only really started working on that in earnest this summer (post baby!). Basic tank tops are something I continue to buy, but I wear them all the time and being able to make my own would be fun. Jeans too… 😉

• sallie

Definitely feeling the change of style thing too, and I’m not really sure what to do about it! Just ride the wave I guess…
    That stonecutter!!! Duuuuuudddeee!!! SO. GOOD. Seriously, that’s the yummiest looking thing I’ve seen in a long while! And I’m loving the colors of all that jersey. Especially the pile on the left. Also, congrats on doing Grainline full time! That’s awesome! Thank you for everything you do!

• Kelly

Fall is my favorite time of year, and I am definitely feeling the transition this year even though our weathe is still hot! I am excited for all you have in store, you are such an inspiration to me 🙂

• anto

The cable work on that sweater looks AAH-mazing! When did you start working on it? It must have taken ages! – or at least it would take ME ages, because I’m a really slow knitter, hehe.
    Fall always gets me on wardrobe planning mode. It’s my favorite season because you can have more fun putting together outfits and: LAYERING!

• Christine

Definitely been something on my mind too. NYC went into fall REAL quick,but in a nice way; it’s not too chilly yet. But I can’t help thinking how much I need in terms of transition wear. So over old sweaters. Your sweater looks fab!