Fall Handknit Dreaming

fallknittingdreams

Now that I no longer work from home and now have”after work time, ” I’ve been getting a lot of evening knitting done which is pretty exciting! I just finished up my Benton sweater, now it’s back onto Stonecutter. Personally I’m not letting the fact that I’ll be knitting Stonecutter till the day I die put a damper on dreaming of more handknits. Why be practical when you can imagine all the cabled handknits can be yours? With that said, here are three knits that are definitely in my Ravelry queue.

Ondawa by Michelle Wang for Brooklyn Tweed Fall ’14 I swore I wasn’t going to be swayed by the new Brooklyn Tweed release, but then this morning there it was, this little cropped and cabled sweater and really, who can say no to that.

Exeter by Michelle Wang for Brooklyn Tweed Spring Thaw I don’t know if you’ve noticed a theme yet but Michelle also designed the Stonecutter. Obviously I agree with her cable stylings and, while I am a hater of cardigans, this one is of the kind which buttoned up, looks and acts like a sweater or can be wrapped blanket style. Being practically cold blooded, I obviously need this. Also check out this gorgeous version!

The Boyfriend Hat by Purl Soho This is one I’ve been meaning to knit but it kind of got pushed aside for Stonecutter and then it was spring, so back onto the fall list it goes. I also have a request for this hat out from Jon who upon seeing the picture last winter thought I had them available for the taking in the house. Sadly it was just the project photo.

Do you have any fall knitting projects planned? What patterns are you currently loving? Also does anyone have a good sub for Brooklyn Tweed Shelter because one sweater was fine, but two more and I’ll be going broke!

70 replies on “Fall Handknit Dreaming

• Hannah

Right now I’m knitting timberline for my dad, and I subbed Briggs and Little heritage. It’s a bit more dense (their regal weight may have been a better choice) but it’s got a similar woolly texture with a fraction of the price tag. Their colours aren’t the best but the greys and neutrals are excellent!

• Jen

Oh man, you have one lucky dad! Timberline is one of my faves, I’ve considered knitting one for myself and I’m definitely checking out that yarn…greys & neutrals are what I need!

• Laura

Wow, don’t know how I’d missed seeing that Ondawa sweater, lovely choice. As far as Brooklyn tweed subs, Cestari yarn might be a good choice, it is also woolen spun and has a the same feel to the yarn….

• Jen

I wasn’t really a fan of the styling on the Ondawa in the booklet so I could see overlooking it when flipping through. Those bottom cables are so dreamy though!

• sallie

Oh so good!! I just might copy you! That cropped sweater… sigh… do you think I would be crazy to tackle that as a relative newbie knitter? I need to make more hats, and I love that boyfriend hat. I also have a Carpino (from one of the wool people editions) planned – I just need to take the plunge and buy all the materials. I can’t wait to see your finished benton sweater! It looks SO good!!

• erinandwhatnot

As a fellow “newbie” last winter, I was fortunate to learn without knowing “the rules” – aka, socks were my 2nd project, a sweater was 3rd and at nearly the same time, etc. Now I consider myself an intermediate knitter because I stretched myself and learned (or figured out myself) how to do those techniques that seem daunting. Moral of the story: You can do eet. 🙂

• Jen

Also totally agree, just going for it without thinking you need to make x number of scarves, then x hats, etc. is a great way to dive in and learn! I made a sweater pretty soon after I started knitting and I totally say just go for it!

• sallie

Yeah! That’s totally my approach to learning just about anything! My third project was the bedford sweater by brooklyn tweed, and while I don’t think it looks totally professional or anything, I learned a TON!

• Jen

Dude, didn’t you just knit a Brooklyn Tweed sweater? That’s like totally way more than newbie. I totally think you can rally! Also are you on Ravelry / are we friends cause I just tried to find the sweater I swear you’re knitting and I can’t find it? Whooo hoooooo losing my mind. But yah… that cropped sweater needs to be ours!

• sallie

Totally on ravelry (sallieoh)! Though I haven’t really done anything with it besides stalk other people’s projects. This is the sweater I want to knit: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/carpino
        And yeah! I knit a bedford this past spring: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bedford-2
        It turned out okay…. I think?? Some of my ribbing looks pretty rough! It’s been too hot to actually wear it and photograph it, but once the cool weather hits I’ll do a proper post.
        I am seriously getting bit by the knitting bug!! The only thing I DON’T like about it is that I become obsessive! Ha! Seriously, once I start a project it’s like all I want to do. My entire life falls apart around me as I sit on the couch and knit, knit in secret at work, lose sleep because I’d rather be knitting… etc.

• Jen

Oh man, yeah I’ll bet wearing sweaters in Galveston can be a bit of a rough go but once you get some cooler temps I’m excited to see some photos 😉 I feel you on the obsessive thing – I’m supposed to be getting ready to release new patterns and instead I just want to hunker down and cable! Ughhhhh. Some people binge watch tv, some people binge knit? Bahaha! I also think I have the Carpino in my queue, I’m not sure if it’s the sweater or the yarn color I love so much but it’s good either way!

• Heather Lou

I’m super jealous of your knitting skills. I just don’t think I’m a knitter, really, which breaks my heart because that cropped sweater is making my heart go all pitter patter pitter patter…..

• Emily

Yay! I too have a huge crush on Michele Wang’s stuff. Although Docklight is the one calling my name the most from the latest…

For Shelter subs, I like Briggs and Little Regal, which is very affordable and comes in pretty colours and is Canadian. It’s not as soft as shelter but I still like it a lot.

Also the beaverslide worsted some folks have used as well — the stuff in the 241 yds/110g hanks would be the best approximation (they have a lovely, heavy “fisherman” weight one too, but it would be a terrible shelter sub!)

there’s also of course things like Cascade 220, which has some pretty heathers that while they aren’t tweed are lovely.

• Jen

Ooh yeah Docklight is probably my second fav from that release – beautiful cables & I do love a good mustard yellow anything! I haven’t heard of Briggs and Little Regal but they’re on my list to check out now. I’ve also heard people talking about beaverslide but haven’t encountered any in person. Maybe it’s time for me to do a yarn shop tour of the Chicagoland area.

• gingermakes

Wow, the Ondawa sweater is so pretty… somehow it missed my attention when I was looking through the new lookbook. I love Michele Wang’s designs, always, but I don’t think I’ll have time to get through another sweater after my Icelandic sweater, so I’m just planning a Skiff hat instead.

• Jen

I think the styling was maybe a little blah on that pattern, or at least I found it a little blah. Good call on the hat plan cause man those Icelandic sweaters will take it out of you! Did you get the yarn while you were in Iceland?!

• erinandwhatnot

Fall plans: a KAL with my knitters guild (Madison, WI, the almost largest but definitely friendliest! in the nation) – they will be doing Chimera from Amy Herzog’s Knit to Flatter. Last year’s KAL also used this book (Dansez pattern), and we were pleasantly surprised at how much we all learned. I do not do anything “normal” – have actually never knitted a pattern exactly as written – so will be doing a mash-up of Chimera and a different sweater in the book. Some others I’m loving are Bear River by Laura Aylor, Scalene by Theresa Gaffey, and Endless Rainbow by Martina Behm.

As far as a Shelter substitute, while I have never used it, I wonder if any of the Imperial Yarns would work. They are not tweedy but are lovely, soft, and made in the USA. Other ideas: Green Mountain Spinnery’s Mountain Mohair, Peace Fleece Worsted, one of the Quince & Co tweeds (Tweet is one name, I believe). I love harness shopping. *sigh*

• Jen

Man you’ve got some good plans planned! I’m kind of afraid to vary from the pattern too much, did it once in my early days and had a disaster I may still be recovering from. I’m definitely going to check out this book though, it sounds pretty awesome. As for the yarn, I think someone else recommended that to me so it’s going on my possible subs list. I was also looking at the Tweet the other day and admiring its beauty. I also love yarn (and fabric) shopping…a little too much I’m afraid

• erinandwhatnot

Okey dokey, I finally got unlazy and spent some time with BTW Fall14. OMG OMG OMG, where have I been?

Rowe! It’s Rowe! The exact sweater – including in the 100% perfect dark charcoal – that I have been mentally trying to create from other patterns is right here, on my screen, and it will only cost me about 100 skeins of Shelter. :S

• Jen

Haha lord! You are not kidding about the shelter usage!! 14-20 skeins is pretty deluxe. Rowe is preeeeeety nice though… Don’t you love it when finally someone releases the pattern that’s been inside your head for so long!

• Michelle

I have too many knitting projects planned for fall… 😀 I sat down and wrote out a tentative knitting schedule for myself in order to narrow down the number of patterns I have in my favorites and queue. I just finished knitting a pair of over the knee socks (of which I’d like a couple more) and Lemongrass by Joji Locatelli. Now I’m halfway through Dagmar by Handy Kitty. Then I have two Michelle Wang patterns lined up: Bedford and Fairfield… not to mention some cowls and a couple man-knits… and the new BT patterns were just released, so I’m sure my plans will evolve to include a couple of those also. If I spent less time knitting and thinking about knitting, I’d have more time to sew.

• Jen

You are seriously one of my knit inspirations, the channel cardigan in 4 months? You guys blew me away! I agree, I definitely need to spend less time thinking about knitting and sewing and more time actually doing it! I also have this weird thought sometimes while I’m knitting that I wish there was like a Ravelry channel on TV I could watch while I knit. Then I could multitask browsing beautiful sweaters with knitting one. Definitely a weird idea but whatever 😉 Looking forward to seeing your fall knits!

• Katie

It’s so interesting hearing the flipped side of the coin: Ondawa was, for me, by far the least stimulating pattern in the collection! I keep thinking about how the neckline will always slip down the shoulder and how awkward I’d feel with the hem hitting my back. Plus I’m not really drawn to trendy silhouettes, although I must admit that it’s just plain more difficult to pull off trends in Iowa than it would be in Chicago. I might feel differently in a different environment!

I generally knit items a season ahead. So this summer I’ve been doing things for the fall and winter and this fall I’ll probably start some spring weight items. I have the Kelbourne Woolens Gretel Fair Isle hat and a Shetland lace scarf by Jared Flood planned.

So, good luck to all in future knitting endeavors!

• Jen

Definitely interesting! I have narrow shoulders so I would have to stitch the neckline shut a bit more no matter what but for me the silhouette is pretty classic. I’ve been wearing things that hit just below the top of my jeans with a longer slim tank underneath for years so when I saw this it was love!

I need to get on that knit a season ahead schedule but that would require me to plan so, probably not happening around here! That hat and scarf are going to be beautiful & I’ve been kind of drooling over the new Kellbourne Woolens patterns too lately. Too many knits!

• ipires

I totally fell head over heals for the BT AW 2014 releases. I though some of their designs were lovely. My favs were Docklight, Spinnaker, Wake, Bellows, Zenith and Furl. I love nautical jumpers and my aim in knitting is to one day knit a gansey using the traditional methods.

Knitting aims for this winter? Finishing my plain colour block loose fitting jumper, simple DK bonfire cardigan I saw of the August edition of Knitting mag, knit small pieces out of my stash, including the Color Tipped Scarf from Purl Bee.

Exeter looks fab, which colour though?

• Jen

Docklight is a solid runner up for me out of that release, the pattern is beautiful and I can’t resist a mustard colored anything. I also love Spinnaker and Bellows though! I love the idea of knitting a traditional one even though I find the idea super intimidating!

Your winter knits sound wonderful, a color block loose fitting jumper sounds absolutely perfect, as do the rest! Following you on Rav so I can check them out when they’re rolling along!

• Katie Emma

Looking forward to seeing photos of your finished Benton (and Stonecutter when that happens). I used to be all about cardigans but have really been reaching for the pullovers this past year. My birthday present to myself was some Shelter to make Yane from the latest BT Wool People but I’m trying to finish my fair isle Super Soul Cardigan before I cast on.

• Jen

That’s an excellent birthday present, that sweater is so cute! Did you go with the same colors as the pic or different ones? So many good options in Shelter’s color range. I agree it’s hard to just stick with one sweater, which is how I ended up finishing Benton when I cast on for Stonecutter first, haha! Just too many sweaters to knit!

• Katie Emma

I got meteorite (MC) and sap (CC) for Yane – I bought the yarn at Stitches Midwest from a booth that had a sample of the sweater, so I got to try it on first. I hemmed and hawed on my color choice, only to realize after I’d finalized my decision that I had picked the same colors as the sample!

• symondezyn

I feel like Stonecutter is the Mt Everest of knitting – perhaps one day I’ll have trained hard enough to attempt it but until then I admire your achievement from afar! ^_^ It’s looking really good!

Loving your choices – especially the beautiful off-whites and grays; they are so appealing, especially in the tweed 🙂

I just finished up the fastest knit I’ve ever done – a fall pullover for a test knit – now going back to try and finish up my summer knitting before the weather turns LOL – a short sleeved cardi in Sirdar cotton. Once that’s done I can move on to fall knitting – gonna try out my first cabled sweater! 🙂

• Jen

I was really kind of freaking out about Stonecutter before I started it but it’s really well written and if you just take it one row at a time, surprisingly not that difficult! Now, I say this with only the back finished so it’s possible something will jump at me but I think it’s kind of all the same from here on out (crossing my fingers at least)!

Hopefully there’s still some good weather left in the season, what cabled sweater are you going to do? Cables really are fun and not as hard as you think going in, hope you love them!

• Amy

I am in exactly the same place! I love the Exeter. It reminds me of the J.Crew sweater I wore all winter when I was at Columbia. It was tweedy enough that my coffee spills never showed!!
    Right now I am super stalking Quince & Co patterns. The Georgia Vest has been on the list for about a year, in a nice bluey grey called Stonington. And the Vienne shawl is a weird color combo like peacoat, crocus and either marsh or a gray or I dunno yet!

• Jen

Hahaha that is exactly what I need in a sweater, tweedy enough that when I drip tea (which is like 4000 times a day) it doesn’t show! I can really see wearing Exeter pretty much nonstop – I think it’ll be my next knit…I think.

I’ve been stalking their yarns lately but stupidly haven’t really checked out their patterns. You’re the second person to tell me that they’re awesome so I definitely need to do it. I also like the idea of a shawl but am never sure how to wear them. Do you kind of wear them like a scarf with your coat? Fill me in b/c it seems like something every knitter should make!

• Carrie

Oh man, I also fell in love with the Ondawa. I just bought shelter for the first time to knit up the Alloy. I’ll let you know if I think of any good substitutes after I’ve worked with it!

• Jen

Yes! Ondawa for the win! So funny about Alloy because I also love that one, but I thought that the cuffs had a bit of black around the ribbing until just now when I re-looked it up and realized it’s the shirt underneath. Totally love the colors you chose also, it’s going to be SO good!

• Jen

You are seriously like the worlds fastest knitter, my mind is blown all the time! Though I shouldn’t be surprised because you’re also the worlds fastest sewer. I need ALL your tips 😉

• Melissa

I’m working on Bedford by Michelle right now, but the BT Fall 14 sweaters are certainly calling the siren song! I’ve been away from knitting for sometime after book release burnout, but it’s nice to feel excited about knitting again.

• Jen

Oh the Bedford is on my list of dreamy sweaters too, I’m sure yours is going to be gorgeous! Also book release, congrats!! I get a mini-bout of pattern release sewing burnout so I can’t even imagine book related burn out. Anyway glad you’re back feeling the knitting again!

• emily marie

Oh man, the new BT stuff is awesome once again! Aaaand once again making me sad that I can’t really wear wool sweaters. Trying to find a good cotton blend that will work for fall & winter sweaters, and if I do, I’m totally making the Hawser (with the 3 giant cables!). Good timing for a knit post, because I saw this yesterday and thought of your IG-famous mug!

• Jen

Oh man, I would be so sad if I couldn’t wear wool. Is it all animal fibers or just wool? There’s always the dream baby Alpaca if that’s an option (I just thought Alpaca since I have a friend who’s horribly allergic to wool but Alpaca is no problem for her). Hawser will be SO good! Also YES to that dishcloth! My mom actually knit an entire hudson bay inspired baby blanket for my nephew who ended up being born a Canadian!

• Erica

I love your fall handknit list. As you know, I am horribly tardy with my Stonecutter, but now that the weather is cooler I am feeling more motivated. I wasn’t instantly sold with Ondawa, but when I read about it on Michelle’s blog she mentioned lengthening it and seaming the shoulders for a smaller neckline and I could imagine it being amazing! The model pictured is already amazing, but not for my body-type, as is.

Benton is my new favorite after seeing your process and I’m curious to hear how you like the Knit Picks you subbed for Loft. Speaking of subs, I just found this site: http://yarnsub.com/yarns/brooklyn_tweed/shelter
    It’s really helpful, especially for comparing yardages.

• Jen

Oh my gosh lady you are SO far ahead with your Stonecutter! I can’t believe you have all the pieces done and here I am just blah blah blah with only the back done. Haha! When I first saw the Ondawa I figured I’d have to seam the shoulders a bit more b/c anything besides a crew neck falls off my stupid narrow shoulders. It’d be so cute lengthened too!

Also THANK YOU for this site, what a dream! The KnitPicks was okay, I actually got gauge with the same needle sizes which was nice, though it is pretty bouncy compared to how the Loft would have knit up. I think it’s also a lot softer than the Loft would be just based purely on the Shelter. One thing about the Knit Picks is that some of their heathers are great, but some are just a bit off. The green had these teal fluffs in it which I thought made it look pretty cheap so I ripped them all out as they came out of the ball. I guess that makes sense though because the yarn actually is pretty cheap, ha! Other than that no complaints on the yarn.

• kbohemia

I looked at the lookbook yesterday as well! Really dangerous! Brooklyn Tweed designs are always so well thought through and I love their use of texture, especially cables!

In spring/summer I knit their Svalbard cardi in Grignasco Loden, I wrote a bit about the yarn here: http://kohlrabibohemia.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/knitknitknit/
    It’s really nice with nice tweedy spots in contrast colours, similar to Shelter! I’m using it for my Stonecutter as well and it cables reaaally well! For the Bray I ordered Austermann Tweed and though I haven’t knit with it yet the balls feel very nice! In my search for Shelter subs I also stumbled over Rowan Tweed (though the Grignasco is made at the same site and is less expensive!), O Wool Balance and maaaaybe Cascade 220 Heathers (imho not tweedy enough, but still)!

Hope you find a good sub and looking forward to seeing bigger pics of your finished Benton! Will also report on the Grignasco Loden real soon when I blog my Svalbard…

• Jen

Totally agreed on all Brooklyn Tweed fronts! Is this the yarn you mentioned while we were fabric shopping? I definitely need to check it out and remember you said you’d found a good sub but for the life of me couldn’t remember what it was. How’s your Stonecutter coming along? I also was just looking at O-Wool and they have some pretty good looking offerings. Looking forward to seeing your sweaters!

• kbohemia

Yes, that’s exactly the yarn! But I found another that I’ll use for my Bray and I hope it’s as good a sub as the Loden! I just started the front of my Stonecutter yesterday and finished the ribbing today. How’s your’s going? #stonecutteralong

• pastryelf

No knitting for me right now….sigh…but I’m planning for when my hand mends. I need a Uniform cardi from Carrie Bostick Hoge in some Berocco wool alpaca in a dusty tweedy pale blue already in my stash….

Good sub for Brooklyn Tweed which I love to splurge for, but sometimes cannot- Harrisville Watershed. Made in the same mill…colors not quite as fab as BT, but close: http://www.harrisville.com/WATERshed-yarn/

• Jen

Oh man, thank you for mentioning this cardigan, it’s gorgeously simple and could swing me into cardigan land! Also I do love some Berocco wool alpaca, your cardigan is going to be so dreamy once you’re back at it!

Now that you mention it I remember that someone on IG once told me that Harrisville made the Brooklyn Tweed yarn and they had a similar one that could be used as a sub. So excellent to know!

• Rhi O

Yep, Ondawa went straight into my queue as well. Perfection. Also have a lot of patterns from the madder anthology in there, currently working on the Imogen tee in a lovely soft cotton as we are going into spring here in Melbourne. Loving how it’s coming out.

• Jen

I’ve seen the Camilla Tee around but didn’t realize it was part of an anthology, now that I’ve seen it I may need to drool over some of those a bit! I also love the idea of a knit tee like Imogen, it’s going to be beautiful!

• lsaspacey

Oh, WOW, you must make Ondawa! That is incredible and it seems exactly your style. By the way, I FINALLY finished my Moss and I love it. Who knows when I’ll get pictures up on the blog but I just want to thank you for all your help on this great pattern. The fit is now perfect, thanks to you.

• robyn

Last year I researched substitutes for Shelter…I LOVE everything about Shelter but when the smallest size pattern takes over 10 balls, that’s my limit. I looked for Targhee/Columbia sheep and found this yarn from Cestari. It seems to be processed the same way, too: http://cestariltd.fatcow.com/store/yarn_traditional_wool_2_ply.html
    However, did I try it? Not yet! Does it look similar to you? I did contact them to confirm that it is a Targhee/Columbia blend. They responded quickly.

BTW, any chance you will offer Archer as a print pattern?

• Jen

Oh man I totally know what you mean. I was fine shelling out for one sweater that would take me about a year to knit – I figured that’s a lot of entertainment so it wasn’t a bad purchase, but when I just kept adding their sweaters to my queue I realized, yeah, I’m going to need a yarn sub. You’re the second person to suggest that yarn so I think you’re onto something!

Also for the Archer, yep, it’s at the printer now! Should be available sometime in the next two weeks, just waiting on them.

• Mady

Ohhh, I love Ondawa! My knitting skills are pretty basic, but I would love to try this! I’ m currently into homewear knitting. At the time I’m making an Cabled Afghan.

• Sara Berkes

I’m currently about to get started knitting the BrooklynTweed Bedford in Madeleine Tosh Neon Peach. It’s like, mega neon. I’m pretty excited about it. I think it’ll make me look tan in the depths of winter, from the glowing.

I just finished up the Rosebud hat in Shelter, but my god that yarn broke SO MANY TIMES. It was infuriating. My first time knitting cables and the damn yarn keeps breaking (clearly I knit tightly). I love their yarn but I don’t know if I could do it again. I have some more for knitting the arrowhead mittens, which I really do have to knit in the next few months, especially if this winter ends up being like last one aka frozen hell. But I’m nervous about the breaking. Do you find yours breaks? I’ve never had that happen before, but I also don’t really know what to do when it does happen. I tied a lot of knots… (bad knitter).

• Jen

OMG that is going to be absolutely AMAZING!!! I seriously cannot wait for that to appear in my blog reader 😉

I knit the Bray hat in Shelter previous to the Stonecutter and did find that my yarn was breaking out of my hand wound ball so with the Stonecutter I’m winding it using a ball winder and haven’t experienced any breakage yet. I’m also an average knitter tightness wise so that might be helping me? Such a downer though, I was totally freaking when my Bray yarn was breaking on me.

• Zoe May

Oh wow, the Ondawa pullover is amazing. Adding it to the list!
    For months I have been attempting to choose between Stonecutter and Honeymaker (by Leah B. Thibault), though last night I started a cardigan instead! The brain is a funny thing…

• lizzielove

Ondawa is also one of my “liked” BTF’14 patterns… there are many beauties in that fall collection!

This year, I’ve committed to knitting Quadrillion from last year’s Pom Pom Quarterly, plus another Kami hat (’cause I keep losing them, and they’re great under-the-bike-helmet hats), plus another set of gloves for a certain person who lost the ones I made last winter. I always want to make more sweaters, but then I slip into the accessory-making/instant gratification vortex. I’d like to not do that so much this year.

BT yarn is really beautiful, but I’m undecided about its hand and longevity. I just finished my first garment with it (the Boardwalk vest) and am eager to see how it wears, but to me it feels kind of harsh and fragile and like it will felt into a great pilly wad with very little wear. I sincerely hope that this is not the case!

Much support to you in your efforts to finish that Stonecutter! You can do it! Just imagine how baller you’ll feel wearing it around town…

• lfstudioworkshop

Answers in opposite order 🙂
    Sub for BT Shelter – the Beaverslide Worsted Weight works well (some have a bit of mohair in them). It knits up tweedy and great. Actually JF is the one who introduced me to it in his earlier BT Blog. I’ve made several sweaters from both the Worsted Weight and their heavier Aran Weight – you may enjoy. (here’s a link – I’m not affiliated with them at all). http://www.beaverslide.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BDG&Category_Code=WW

One thing I find though is their colors do not show up accurately on my monitors, so if you’re interested, you might ask for a sample/swatch, etc.

As for knitting. I have BT Walpole cardigan on my needles as well as BT Wool Leaves Throw. My commute knit is Purl Soho’s Purl Soho Pullover – but I’m doubling Purl’s fingering weight merino and it’s gorgeous!

Thanks for a great blog! Lisa