The Alder Shirtdress & A Shop Relaunch

Grainline Studio | The Alder Shirtdress

Grainline Studio | The Alder Shirtdress

I’m so excited to announce that the Alder Shirtdress is finally here!! I’ve basically been living in these dresses since the minute I photographed them, they’re light and breezy, perfect for the heat of summer. There are SO many fabrics that work for the Alder it kind of blows my mind a little, I personally have Alders in denim, cotton Ikat, quilting cotton, chambray, silk twill, and silk crepe de chine and I love them all!

Grainline Studio | The Alder Shirtdress

Here’s the official garment description… “The Alder is a loosely fitted sleeveless shirtdress with two options. View A falls into an A-Line at the waist and features a curved hem, bust darts, and two breast pockets. View B has the same bodice but with a gathered skirt at the sides and back of the garment resulting in an incredibly flattering and fun silhouette.”

Grainline Studio | The Alder Shirtdress

The Alder is Intermediate on the Grainline difficulty scale, techniques involved in making this dress include sewing a straight seam, bust darts, bias facing armholes, adding a shirt collar, gathering, and buttons & buttonholes. I’ll be doing a sew along for the Alder which I’ll talk more about next week, but it will include sewing both Views A & B, a neckline alteration, and using the pattern to make shirts out of both views. I’m super excited about it and if you have any trepidation about sewing any part of this dress we’ll cover it there.

Grainline Studio | The Alder Shirtdress

I’ll be sharing more info about each of these Alders over the week so get ready for that, hopefully it’ll give you a little extra something to think about when deciding on fabrics.

Grainline Studio | Alder Shirtdress

The last thing to note about the Alder is that it comes in both a PDF and printed pattern format! FINALLY!! I know you guys have been asking for printed patterns for a long time and this is the start. Eventually all the patterns will be available in hard copy but you need to start somewhere! The printed patterns are also available for wholesale if you’re a shop interested in carrying them. You can find more info on how to become a retailer here.

Grainline Studio | Shop Relaunch

In addition to a new pattern, we’ve also redesigned both the online shop and all of the Grainline Studio patterns. All digital patterns now include both a print at home and copy shop version along with completely redesigned instructions. I’ve always strived to give you clear, easy to understand instructions and I feel like the new layout really helps out with that. We’ve inserted tips, tricks, and links to online resources as well as a glossary and finished garment measurements.

I really need to just take a minute to thank the people who helped me accomplish this monumental (or at least what felt monumental to me) task. I’m unbelievably lucky that I can call these insanely talented people my friends and that when I mentioned I needed help they were all right there with their super skills. A major shoutout to my number 1 right hand man through this past year Troy! We spent a lot of time going over layouts, eating gelato, going over more layouts, inventing things, scrapping things, eating more gelato (it’s the halfway point between our houses, what can I say) and finally got to the new pattern layouts, packaging, plotting the future of Grainline Studio, and so much more. You’ll definitely be seeing more of him in the future! Thanks to my pal Mason who so kindly coded my blog and shop in his spare time, Ariana who ruthlessly tested my pattern instructions and shared many cups of tea with me, and Casey, who proofed ALL of the new patterns and caught some really funny mistakes we’d read over and over so many times that there was no chance on earth we were going to catch them. Also the grammar, she nailed that like I never could. Also a thank you to Jon for helping me craft emails to the printer so they wouldn’t think I was a joke (I don’t know printing terms at all) and for giving me the encouragement I needed to just get these things printed already, and my family for always being there for me. THANK YOU a million times! Nothing in life is ever a one person show, you really need a pack to get you through things, and this pack totally killed it! Okay super gushy rant over! Go check out the new shop!

70 replies on “The Alder Shirtdress & A Shop Relaunch

• Tilly Buttons

[adds to basket…] Ordered! Huge congrats, Jen, I know how much hard work is involved in both setting up a new site and sorting out the logistics of printed patterns. The Alder dress is GORGE and I can’t wait to get my hands on my copy! xx

• Nora

gosh, I’m pretty new to your patterns, but I am a huge fan already. I really appreciate that you’ve designed patterns that feel easy to wear every day, but are also lovely and stylish. I like a sort of utilitarian style, so my goal is to make at least 3 of these and just rotate through.

• CamberwellGal

What a great dress! So looking forward to seeing them popup round the internet (&roll on the end of the month and lifting of the personal pattern purchasing embargo!). Am loving the fabrics your samples are made of too; blue/white triangles esp! Congrats on what was clearly a Herculean task with the new site etc – it all looks superb!

• Kristi

Love the Adler! My must-sew list if officially derailed. I will be up way too late tonight online shopping for the perfect fabric for it! Can’t wait to see what’s next for you.

• petitepotager

This is a Super Fantastic dress but I cannot go sleeveless. I’m wondering how difficult it would be to fankenpattern sleeves in the dress. Do you plan to add a sleeved version down the line? I love the Archer shirt that I made. I may buy this and try my hand at adding sleeves…it’s just too cool not to want to try. Love your new website too by the way.

• Jen

I won’t be adding a sleeved version, it would involve so much pattern paper that I wouldn’t be able to sell it due to the fact that to get the fit I’d want for each I’d need 2 separate yokes and 4 additional body pieces, but I will be showing how to combine the Archer & Alder together to make a super dress!

• Léa

J’adore this dress! Digital pattern purchased! 😉 can’t wait for the sew along -and for the sleeve version. Anyway, new shop is awesome. Love from France

• petitepotager

Oh shoot I just ordered it and am printing it out now (too impatient to wait for a printed version) and will deal with adding sleeves to it. It’s just too darn cute not to get it ! 🙂 I like that you’ve set it up so that one can add an account now. Wonderful improvements all around!

• Heather Lou

YAYYYYY JEN! I love this dress (if only I had a minute to make it this summer!) Soo happy for you, and hope you’re taking a much deserved big breather. Also, I love your new dressform illustrations!!

• gilliancrafts

I love watching your patterns get released… because you’ve got that knock of creating something basic but modern that everyone suddenly needs to have! Your whole site is looking gorgeous! Kuddos to you and your “pack” for working so hard! I hope you give yourself a little break now! (ok, even a day!)

• emily g

Hooray! I’ve been anxiously awaiting the Alder release after seeing your sneak peeks on Instagram. I can tell this is going to be another make-a-million-versions pattern for me – just like the Archer, Scout, and Tiny Pocket Tank. 🙂

• Kelly

Oh my gosh Jen, everything looks so great!! I love the dress form illustrations! I ordered my printed (yay!!) pattern last night, can’t wait to get my little grubs on it 🙂 And make some shirt dresses, hellz yeah! Congrats on all the exciting happenings at Grainline Studio, you deserve much success because YOU ROCK.

• pastryelf

I cannot tell you how happy I am you have added printed patterns to your line-up….! I am eagerly awaiting my Alder, can see myself making dozens of them! The shop redesign looks fabulous, congratulations on all your hard work, it certainly paid off! Now you should take a pause…..and then I’d love to talk to you about possibly coming to Maine to teach….? Can we talk?

• Jen

Yes we can definitely talk! Was in Maine very briefly last fall and am DYING to go back 😉 What an amazing place & it’d just be a bonus to be at your shop!

• Katie Emma

Congratulations! I’ve been eagerly awaiting the release of the Alder dress and the new shop – both are fantastic!

• gingermakes

Dude, major congratulations! I am SO EXCITED about this pattern- when my vacation is over I’ll be stitching up a whole fleet of Alders! You are the coolest and I’m so excited about how much your business is growing!

• Emily

Dude! I have been super excited about Alder since you first started posting but the new shop site is totally gorgeous!!! Congrats on such a lovely new move for your business and all your hard work. Ive only made Maritime and Tiny Pocket Tank so far but I look forward to having a very high percentage of grainline me-mades in the not-too-distant future 🙂

• sallie

Holy Crap!! Congratulations!!! Such HUGE steps!! I just love love LOVE all of your patterns, seriously, with all my heart, and I’m super excited for this dress. I hope you know how much we appreciate all your hard work and all you give to this sewing community. And I’m SO happy to see your business growing. Can’t wait to get my hands on an Alder!!

• Geo P

The new pattern images are great, I love the idea to mix photos and illustrations. I plan on making two Alders this week. I shall defeat my shirt collar fear!

• kristin

The shop looks fantastic, so clean and easy to navigate while really showing off your designs, and my Alder is printing as I type (I’m lucky to have a plan printer at work). Can’t wait to see your paper patterns showing up in my local fabric shops!! 🙂

• Elena

Absolutely love the Alder – so unique but genius in its simplicity. I already have so many ideas for different versions. Congrats on the new studio, new shop, and printed patterns! I am so happy to see your business growing. Your patterns and blog made me realize that I could actually sew my own, everyday, clothing, and it looks like so many others feel the same way. Thank you for all your hard work – your work continues to inspire!

• blancapate

Congratulations on such a big accomplishment!! Also, can I just say how much I love this new pattern?! I’ve been excited to order it since you started giving hints on IG. Can’t wait for the sewalong – this is my first collared pattern and while I think I’m up to the challenge, I also appreciate a little hand-holding along the way, too. 🙂 Can’t wait to see these dresses in more detail next week!!! xo

• Ann

Congratulations on all of the refinements . It was fun to see the new makes on all of your existing patterns, and I love the new Alder dress. I just purchased the printed pattern, and am looking forward to the sewalong.

• Charnelle

Just ordered the printed version! I already have fabric for four Alders (lol I’m a little obsessed and it hasn’t even arrived yet). The new shop looks amazing.

• Gina

I am SO excited about this dress – I’ve been waiting for it ever since I saw it on Instagram! I’m also very excited about paper patterns. Congrats on so many exciting things going on at Grainline!

• Elizabeth

Your shop looks great and I can’t wait to make an Alder! I have several garments from your patterns in heavy rotation this summer already- so here’s to another! Yeah! And look forward to seeing/learning how to make the Archer/Alder mash-up!

• thequirkypeach

YAY YAY YAY!!! This is SO exciting – I am so happy for you and all the new things that are going on for grainline! 🙂 This shirtdress is freaking adorable and I will be making it ASAP! Love the shop redesign and just, well, everything! Way to go 🙂

• Jillian

Oh my gosh I can’t even tell you how much I love this pattern. I will wear both views. I think I might layer a cardigan over for winter instead if waiting for summer to get started (southern hem), I’m that excited!!!! Such a great dress Jen!

• Inge

I love the new pattern and the new shop! I’m really curious about that neckline alteration in the sew along; I’m hoping it will be a collarless one as I’m convinced collars don’t look good on me 😉 Congratulations on lots of good jobs!

• Emilie

Congrats, the new shop looks awesome!!! I’ve had my eyes on this beautiful dress for so long, digital pattern ordered the minute I saw it was available. Thanks for offering us some of the coolest, most wearable patterns options out there, please never stop 🙂

• zilredloh

Even though it was only yesterday, I feel a bit late to the (site relaunch) party. heh

Looks great Jen! I love your garments on the drawn body forms, it looks so good. 😀

• Melissa

Big Congrats! The shop is beautiful! I love the drawing of the dress form under the image of the actual piece – very cute 🙂

I plan on carving out free time in the near future for some grainline sewing! Keep up the great work!

• Katja

Perfection! You did such an amazing job redesigning the webshop and the Alder is just better than words can say! I have some grainline studio sewing planned for my free time this summer and it might be possible, that it gets the pole position of the line instead of a lakeside and some tiny pocket tanks!
    I’m just a bit jealous because you find these gorgeous fabrics for all you makes.

• arianek

Oh my goodness, no wonder you’ve been so busy – the shop looks amazing, and so does the new pattern! I’m usually not a huge button up person, but the gathered version makes such a great bustle-esque silhouette, I love it!

• Davina

This is so exciting, Jen! The shop looks amazing and I can’t wait to start making the Alder dress! Yooowww!! (That was my happy war cry). Now, I gotta find some time between knitting and pattern planning to dust off the old Singer so I can start sewing!

• Connie

I’m down to the buttonholes on the Alder and I have to tell you I am loving it! Between the Alder and the Maritime shorts you are fast becoming my entire summer wardrobe staple pattern go to girl! Can I add that the sizing is perfect! Thanks!

• Ruth L

I recently discovered your blog and was thrilled to see this adorable shirtdress pattern! I love this style and have been looking for this style pattern for several months – will definitely be ordering one!
    Warm regards,