Grainline Studio Business Hours

Hey guys,

I just wanted to put up a note about my business hours since I semi-regularly get emails expecting me to respond at 3am or while I’m out trying to take a break from work on the weekend.

If you email me outside the hours of 9am – 5pm CST on Monday – Friday I most likely won’t be able to email back until the next business day. Additionally I get a lot of emails asking a large variety of different things so it can occasionally take me 2 days or so to respond depending on the volume in my inbox.

I hope you understand, I’m my only employee trying to take care of all the aspects of delivering you awesome sewing patterns on my own while still staying a semi-sane human and keeping my relationships with friends & family healthy and intact. It’s a tough balance but I’m trying, and as always, thanks for your support!

Jen

30 replies on “Grainline Studio Business Hours

• gingermakes

I can’t even imagine how hard it is to defend your weekend when you’re self-employed (I get tons of work emails, texts, and phone calls through the weekend, and I don’t even run a business!). I hope you’re able to make some space for relaxing and unwinding in your crazy schedule!

• Jen

Thanks girl! It’s unfortunate but necessary that I carve out some time. All work and no fun makes me so burnt out I want to get a 9-5. Well not quite but it does make me want to crawl under a rock and never come out. Sounds like working for others doesn’t give you free nights/weekends either though. I got so burnt out this winter that I was sick for 2 solid months, then broke a rib coughing, then got sick again for another month. JEEZ JEN!!! So new rule is break time nights & weekends if I can swing it, or at least, uninterrupted work on patterns, etc. and maybe a cat quilt or two!

• gingermakes

That sounds so much healthier than just work, work, work! Technology is so helpful and such a great way to grow a business, but it also can keep you chained to your job. Wishing you good health and lots of energy!

• Veronica C.

Seconding this! Everybody needs to have personal time. I really appreciate the quality and care you put into both your patterns and reaching out to everyone, whether it’s blog or e-mail. Thank you for your hard work and thoughtfulness!

I’d think about adding these hours to your contact page. Maybe more people will be sweethearts and realize that you’re a human being, not a workhorse robot!

Enjoy your Sunday, Jen! Looking forward to your new patterns and the printed versions. Hoping Fancy Tiger in Denver will eventually be one of the vendors (and selfishly that you can one day make it out here for a trunk show).

• Jen

They’re actually on the contact page in my shop but I think I probably need to add them to the confirmation email that contains the pattern download links now that you mention it. Also hitting up Fancy Tiger is definitely on my list of things to do in the semi-near future so maybe? We’ll see!

• Rochelle New

Aww it makes me sad that you even have to post something like this! I wish people had more respect and awareness for what it takes to run a small business, especially when you’re a one woman show <3

• Jen

Yeah, sometimes it’s definitely overwhelming. I think a lot of people think that if you’re not actively releasing a pattern than you’re just not really doing anything but there is SO much that goes into running a small business it’s kind of unbelievable, and free time to not think about it and recharge so you have the energy and mental powers to keep on going and creating is part of that! Phew, makes me re-tired just thinking about it!

• Kate Osborn

There should be a PSA specifically about this. At my job/business we have to constantly tell people that we don’t answer emails after 5 pm and never on the weekends, unless under specific special circumstances. It’s hard to find balance, but it’s great you’re setting good boundaries now and sticking to them.

• MadeByP

I’m not sure if this will help, but what you could do is have a standard reply email (esp for unknown/new email address) that goes out automatically – which basically says what you have just said in your post here, so that people can have a sense of what to expect.

• Fleur

I second what Rochelle says! But also a necessary reminder, as I swear some people forget that just because the internet is 24/7, doesn’t mean that people are!

• senjiva

Amen, and pass the self-employed potatoes! In fact, I have been taking a hard look at how flexible I am with my clients (who have to see me in person) and have come to the same conclusion. I’ll be posting something similar soon. Thank you for validating me as a self-employed woman in sewing!!!!

• Erika

You do an amazing job! Good on you for having a creative career and life balance. Love from “I work corporate”. 🙁

• misscrayolacreepy

Ummmm if my grandma e-mails me over the weekend I don’t even reply haha. I only reply to e-mails when I am in front of my computer, which is M-F 9-5. You have to set boundaries or else you will always be working! I’m glad that you are taking the time you deserve. xo

• jen

Yeah, i am chiming in with the commenting to say, do people really expect you to reply at 3am or at weekends or indeed within a few days?! That is sad! You might get a 3am email from me, as i live in Australia, but i certainly would never expect a reply at that time!! Maybe you need to sew yourself up a little robot to help with such shenanigans, surely a woman with all your talents is onto that already?! We love your patterns, so please take a break and live life so your sewing mojo keeps bubbling and we keep getting your pattern gifts 😉 x

• Katherine Spencer

I think it’s clear you put a ton of time into everything you do. Cut those pesky middle of the night emailers and weekend workers off. My goodness. Creativity takes time, don’t they understand?

• symondezyn

TOTALLY understand!! Being freelance/self employed is awesome, but it carries with it a lot of weight, and it’s so important to set boundaries so your work doesn’t take over your life 🙂 Especially when you’re dealing with world-wide time zones, which I’m sure is partly why you get those 3am emails LOL. Taking care of yourself means you’ll always have a pool of creativity to draw from for your business – everyone wins! ^_^

• Gina

As a teacher, I often have to remind my students that I’m not an ER doctor and am therefore not on call 24 hours a day. Even though I tell them that, I feel pressure when one of them emails me repeatedly if I don’t respond right away, and it’s stressful. Here’s to hoping people get the message about the absolute necessity of time away from work and you’ll be allowed some stress-free time to recharge your batteries as a result!

• Kerry

My goodness, what a shame you had to post this, I think people expect so much in these days of easy communication. Besides, without the time to recharge, no time to develop creatively.