Knitting Storage & Fringe Supply Co.

Grainline Studio | Knitting Storage & Fringe Supply Co.

one | two | three | four | five | six

I’ve been getting much more into knitting lately than I have been over the past few years. I used to knit all the time but drifted off as I began sewing more and more. Lately though I’ve been enjoying it as an evening break from the usual sewing & work. As I knit on two sweaters at the same time I’ve come to realize that my knitting supplies are pretty unorganized. I have a small leather pouch I keep my knitting essentials in, stitch markers, small scissors, tape measure, row counter, etc. but other than that everything is a disaster. My projects are kept in plastic bags and my needle storage, that is a sight to see! My circulars and dpn’s are just piled into another plastic bag with the dpn’s rubber-banded together by set. Every time I need a different needle size or circular length it’s a real headache to sort out. I came across Fringe Supply Co. on Instagram and now I’m dreaming of a more organized knitting world. A cute striped bento bag for each project, brass stitch markers, adorable snips…sigh. Seriously everything in this shop is on my dream list.

How do you organize your projects, needles, and supplies? I have a dream in addition to cute project bags that somewhere out there exist natural colored canvas circular and dpn storage bags, perhapsย something like this except for the part where I have to make it myself. I’ve got enough projects as it is! Help a girl get organized, let me in on your tips!

25 replies on โ€œKnitting Storage & Fringe Supply Co.โ€œ

• All Patterns Heather (@KnitNBee)

Knitting supplies are the one thing I’m actually pretty good at keeping organized. For my circular needles I have a small binder that has plastic sleeves. Each needle goes in a sleeve and I put a sticker with the size and cord length on the outside. The binder was from Knit picks back in the day, but they seem to have discontinued it. For my DPN’s I have a plastic expandable file which was probably for coupons. Each slot has a tab on it, which I used to labeled the needle sizes. All the DPN needles of the same size get stored in their corresponding labeled slot. (Got rid of all my straight needles so no storage for them.) All the stitch markers go in a circular tin and there is a shallow plastic tray from target to store all the other odds and ends. Finally I have a cheap Target press board cabinet with doors that everything goes into.

• Jen

Ummm this is pretty much genius, I remember seeing those KnitPicks storage binders but always thought, Oh, I’ll get one later. Then BOOM gone! I’m gonna do some research on this…

• Melissa

The binder idea is awesome! I think I’m going to try that out.

Do you find that the DPN’s fall out of the expandable file if the file gets tipped over or turned upside down?

• All Patterns Heather (@KnitNBee)

My expandable file has a elasticized closure. Between that and the fact that I having a ton of needles wedged in there the DPN’s don’t fall out. Probably helps that it lives in a locked cabinet were my 3 year old can’t molest it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Grace

I keep all my needles in their original sleeve in a sturdy hinged shoebox, ordered by size. It’s by far the most useful storage method I’ve tried since the box is easy to stack in the closet and sort through. All my WIPs are in cloth draw sting bags and my yarn is in clear zip bags that I got at the container store.

• gingermakes

Um, my organization system is to shove all my needles into one plastic storage box and then weep when I can’t find 5 DPNs the same size! It’s… scary. I’m really interested to read everyone’s tips!

• Alison G.

The best I can do is ziplocks with circulars in one and DPNs in another. Projects have their own cute bags or just another ziplock. Yarn is kept in wire baskets so I can see it. My organization is terrible! I love All Patterns Heather’s suggestion of the coupon folder – genius! I’m thinking a larger folder could be used for circulars too!

• Katie Emma

I have a plastic shoebox sized container for my knitting tools that I keep in a drawer in my living room end table. I keep needles in organizers (my Addi interchangeables have their own nice case, and my DPNs are in a Chicken Boots brand case – the best!) and those cases also have a drawer. I have a few project bags and tote bags for my knitting, and those usually live in the cubbies built into the lower part of my Ikea coffee table.

There are lots of etsy shops for handmade needle organizers, and I’m betting if you found a style you liked you would be able to request a custom-made one in muslin!

• sewlaurasew

I have a whole bunch of interchangeable circular needles, which I actually keep fairly organised.

Each new pair of needles (KnitPro) come on a piece of cardboard with a couple of bits of elastic to hold each needle on. I squish a set of needles into each spot and write above them what size they are in permanent marker. I have a cute cylindrical tin (it’s designed to hold loose leaf tea) which I then put all my bits of cardboard into. The cords aren’t very well organised though, they just get shoved into an old pencil case with all my random dpns and horrible cheap circular needles.

Yarn is my organisational disaster. I’ve recently downsized my place, and am yet to figure out how to sort it when there is no space left. It’s all shoved in the back of my wardrobe in a plastic shopping bag at the moment.

• Michele Wang

Hm, let’s see… I keep all my yarn in Elfa mesh drawers from The Container Store. I organize them by weight, and I try to keep them in plastic bags in case of moths, etc. As for needles, I don’t use straights or dpns, only Addi circulars. I just recently started stocking up on their new Rockets line and have been keeping the original plastic bag they come in and storing them all in a mesh zippered bag from Muji. I am personally struggling with my WIPs pile. I keep them all in plastic bags as well, but it’s so out of hand that I’m soon going to have to dedicate an entire drawer to them, or buy a plastic bin just to store them in. As a knitter who is new to sewing, how do you store your fabric? I used to have my stash hanging around, but soon realized the sun faded them. So now they’re in ugly boxes, completely unorganized and unlabeled.

• Francis

My style is organized chaos. Plastic drawer units for yarn and a tote filled with needles. When I need a needle I have to fish out a big lump and use a needle sizer to figure out what size I have found. It is not a good style to follow.

• Megan

For projects that I’m working on I have a collection of little drawstring bags that I made with scrap fabric and ribbon. Simple and portable. I also stole some homemade fabric “gift bags” from my mom for this purpose – they just have two ribbons stitched into on of the side seams to tie the top closed (even quicker than making the drawstring casing!).

• Lily

I’ve been wanting to make this needles and notions pouch for a while (http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2014/02/BrigitteNeedlesNotionsZipperedPouch.html#more). Right now I keep all the supplies needed for each project in their own little tote bag (I am a tote bag hoarder) and I have a little bag I keep with me for scissors and larger items and this (https://www.etsy.com/listing/74254469/snap-n-go-notions-case-original-on-the?ref=listing-13) for stitch markers and smaller items.

• clf

Those bento bags are a cinch to make and a good way to deal with scrap fabric.

I recently put all my circulars in a large semi-flexible plastic binder purchased at a thrift shop. Each size goes in a clear plastic page holder. (For example, all 3s, long and short go in the same place.) A post-it stuck inside the page holder marks the size.

My straights (vintage metal and plastic) are in vases or some kind of glass container. I don’t knit much with straights, but I love the look of vintage ones. DPNs are in cups, mugs, whatever. I like to look at this stuff.

WIP (usually small and usually only one going at a time) goes in a lined zip bag that I’ve sewn myself from cotton ticking and denim remnants. If I’m going out I toss in some tiny scissors and a crochet hook for correcting mistakes, then put the zip bag in my main bag.

I keep markers, crochet hooks, needles, stitch holders, cable needles, etc. in a rectangular semi-clear plastic box that snaps shut. (the size of a textbook) Not the most portable thing, but inside the house it travels with me just fine from room to room. I also keep some sewing needles and thread in there for mending.

The most beautiful needle case in the world: http://blog.hedgehogfibres.com/2012/01/happy-new-year-giveaway.html

Gridjunky’s awesome work cuff. Gotta knit me one of these.

• Meg

For knitting needles I mainly use circulars and dpns. I’ve used this needle case for over 10 years and love it. http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-accessories-needle-cases/lantern-moon-combination-silk-needle-case/
    The zippered pouch section is large enough to fit the plastic bags that circulars come in, so I keep most in their pouch in there.

For notions(needle gauge, stitch markers, row counters, cable needles etc…) I use a plastic container with movable dividers. Got it at a craft store, maybe intended for beads?

For projects I use the gift bags from the yarn shop on my current ones and big ziplock bags for my abandoned ones:)

Now if only I had some pattern organization for my before ravelry knitting…

I bet you could recreate that knit picks folder with a 3-ring binder and a trip to staples for various inserts.

• Melissa

Ha ha – I just recently splashed out at Fringe Supply Co picking up a few of those bento bags (in multiple sizes)! She has so much great stuff. The bento bag is my new favorite project holder. I also use an old Clinique ‘gift with purchase’ make up pouch to hold the really small things (stitch holders, tiny scissors, tapestry needles, pieces of waste yarn etc) because it has a zipper. The makeup bag can easily be tossed (or transfered) into any of the bento bags.

As for organizing needles, straights are in a jar and the circulars and DPN are a hot mess. If you find a clever solution for those bad boys, please share! Everything I’ve seen has been so ugly, ha.

• Sara | An Elemental Life

I pretty much want to spend an entire paycheck on Fringe Supply Co. and organizing supplies.

I’ve been wanting that Design Sponge needle case for years, too. But, not wanted ANOTHER project. I might take that on this summer…riiiiiight.

Do you knit multiple things at the same time or focus on one until it’s done?
    I usually have 2-4 different kinds of knitting projects I can choose from depending on how much focus I can spare on the knitting. But, I also read like 8 different books at the same time…

• jocolumbine

If you have a Daiso shop nearby, check out their zippered nylon bags – I imagine that they’re intended for schoolwork projects or similar but I got some that had net sides (so you can see the pattern) and two other non-net compartments ie one for the project, one for bit and bobs. Not in the least bit homespun or crafty I’m afraid. IKEA boxes and baskets for the yarn and zippered envelopes for needles. Tip: keep needle gauge (buy several) in same zippered bag as each set of needles. Saves howling and tearing up main project bag/box to find the one gauge you KNOW YOU HAVE!

• Ruth S

I keep all my circular needles in the original bags, and I just keep them in a small paper shopping type bag that fits the packages perfectly. It’s the best way I have found to line them up by size/length. Probably not too helpful if you have already ditched those packages. You may be able to find some ziptop bags similar in shape and pop a piece of cardstock inside to label with gauge and length similar to the original package. The sizes do tend to rub off the cord on my circulars, so I love the “knit check” needle gauge to figure out what is what on things that are out. Most knitting shops have them. I have made a little needle roll for my DPNs, like a marker roll with a flap over the tops of the needles, I fold it in quarters, edges in first to keep everything from falling out. Easy enough to make but you can buy them too.

• arianek

My one tip is to use Baggu zippered bags for project bags – the slippery nylon fabric is wonderful to knit from because you can leave the ball in the bag and it’ll spin inside it no problem.