Where I’ve Been Hiding

Grainline Studio | Life Lately

Nothing new to show today, but I needed to get back into blogging somehow and this seemed like the best way. This flu or whatever that’s been going around grabbed on, turned itself into bronchitis, and now just won’t let go! After 4 weeks I am still coughing, omg when will it stop?! Anyway, since I last checked in, besides getting sick, I’ve been watching a lot of Olympics & knitting, teaching pattern grading over at Columbia, got interviewed for Marketplace (no air date yet but I’ll post when I get one), and eating delicious vegetarian takeout in the hopes of getting healthy again someday. HA!

Grainline Studio | Life Lately

Above we have a late night hair braid-off, Roamy helping me with my taxes, a very very frozen Lake Michigan from when I was down at WBEZ, and some tool knolling. ALWAYS BE KNOLLING GUYS!!

I’ve had to reconfigure some of my Grainline Studio plans since getting sick, I still get crazy tired after a moderate amount of activity and I injured a rib pretty badly coughing last week. I *might* have been stuck on the floor at some point and couldn’t get up, even with help, and it WAS really funny even at the time so feel free to giggle at that mental image. I definitely am! Anyway plans were scrapped and plans were remade and hopefully things come together. Soooooo we’ll see what the future brings!

Also, if you want to watch the rest of the Tom Sachs 10 Bullets here’s the link. Words to work by. 4real.

44 replies on “Where I’ve Been Hiding

• Nina

Ooh, as someone with big experience of illnesses hanging around way longer than you’d think possible, let me say: please look after yourself! Sounds like you are. But just keep on doing so until you’re totally fine again. (That takeaway looks so good, btw, wish we had something like that around here!)

• Jen

Thanks so much, I’m definitely trying but something always goes awry! I’m really spoiled to live near such a fresh, vegetarian restaurant with takeout 🙂

• clsoetcasefiles

Oh dear. Sorry to hear you’ve been so ill. You hurt a rib?! Take care of yoself lady. And thanks for the Tom Sachs link. I LOVVVVVVE HIM! Have you seen his studio on The Selby? Amazeballs. Still heartbroken I missed this crazy installation he did in NY during Design Week 2 years ago. I was there but so busy with industry events I didn’t get a chance to go…

• Jen

Totally broke that sucker… and I’ve got 8 x-rays telling me ALLLLLLL about it, ha! I have seen his Selby post and YESSSS totally with you! When I was still doing hound, I think it was like 2012, I posted the 10 Bullets video on my blog and I got an email from his studio thanking me for posting, etc. I ALMOST DIED!!! HAhahahahahaha!!!!! Glad to know I’m not the only dork in this arena!

• lisa g

ugh, what an awful illness! i’m always prone to viruses hanging around way longer than they should, so i totally feel your pain. i spent oh… thanksgiving through new years with various coughs/snotty noses/etc. i started taking liquid echinacea (as recommended by my nursing prof MIL) and magically i got better! hopefully you get back to 100% soon. 🙂

• Jen

I swear, anytime I get sick whatever it is, flu, cold, stubbed toe, it mutates and heads STRAIGHT to my lungs. Blerg! Already back on the mend and have almost stopped coughing. Now it’s just this rib…

• Sarah

I, too, found myself stuck on the floor recently due to injury. There’s nothing like flopping around ridiculously on the carpet to give a person some perspective on life!

Feel better, miss.

• Jen

Thanks girl, it’s really been awful. Going on 6 weeks now whooo!!!! At least the cough is almost gone and I’m just dealing with a fractured rib now. Small victories!

• minkymoo

So sorry you’ve been sick Jen, it sucks… it really does. Take it easy, recuperate and wait for Spring to spring. All the best… We will wait in anticipation!

• Sara C

OMG this was me last year! I hope you feel better FAST!

Also, smiley Roamy!!! <3 <3 <3

And, I'm crossing my fingers for your duffle coat pattern to be released sometime soon! I've got some grey wool that I'm hoarding for the cropped version. Can.Not.Wait.

But, getting well is priority #1! When I'm sick, I always try to make (or force someone else to make it for me) a huge pot of miso soup with a whole head of garlic and as much kale and other veggies stuffed in it as possible. That always seems to help.

• Jen

Thanks! I think I’ve been getting the non-soup equivalent of that in takeout from the above pictured place and it has DEFINITELY been helping!!!

Bad news on the coat though…I had to chose between finishing and releasing the coat and my spring patterns releasing on time. In a tough debate with myself, spring won. It’ll definitely be out come fall though since it’s already almost ready to go. Sorry to be a pattern downer 🙁

• Moira

I feel your pain. My coughing has resulted in some serious abs workouts and the realisation that I should have taken the pelvic floor exercises during my pregnancy pilates class more seriously #oops. Try hot water, lemon, ginger and honey (maybe with a wee tot of whisky). Feel better soon x

• Jen

Hahahahahaha omg I feel that and I don’t even have the pregnancy excuse! I’m pretty sure I have some rock hard abs under this steroid induced weight gain…just need to get to them now. Hahahaha! I’ve been downing ginger tea with honey for the past few weeks, and started adding lemon to the mix when I read this. It really does help! Thanks!

• Rochelle New

OMG that picture of little Roamy cat just kills me!! Ahhhhh the cuttteee!!! That little face!!!! I hope you feel better soon. I once had bronchitis and a double sinus infection and I almost wanted to die instead of trying to sleep another night sitting up with a slitting headache, barely being able to breathe lol. Yeah. I REALLY hope you feel better soon!

• Jen

Isn’t she the cutest?! Of course I’m biased but eh, whatever. Hahaha! Omg that sounds miserable! I’m now dealing with trying to sleep sitting up b/c laying down on this rib is torture. CAN WE PLEASE GET SOME SPRING UP IN HERE!!! I think you’re in Chicago now also…sorry about that snow last night 😉

• K-Line

Jen: I was diagnosed with bronchitis – and then pneumonia – before (6 weeks later, and sick enough to land in hospital), I was finally diagnosed with pertussis (whooping cough). It’s making a serious come-back because the vaccine wears off on adults by early 30s. I was horrendously ill for months. Bed ridden for more than a month. And the only way I could breathe was with the assistance of prednisone. If your cough is coming from your throat and it’s getting increasingly insistent (or if you’re experiencing something called inspirational stridor, look it up), I urge you to consider that you might be dealing with something other than what you think you’re dealing with. This sickness doesn’t get really bad until you’ve had it for so long, you don’t know what’s going on and, since it’s relatively new in this generation of the adult population (due to waning childhood vaccines in adults on top of children that parents aren’t vaccinating), many doctors miss it till it’s acute. Of course, I totally hope I’m wrong, but I feel compelled to mention my own experience. BTW, I wrote about it on my blog at some length from Aug – March of 2011 so you might want to read to see if my symptoms were anything like yours are now.

• Ariane

Wow, K-Line you just made me realize that I may have had Whooping cough about 3 years ago – I can’t believe I never thought of that (and that neither did the doctors!) It was the most horrible cough I’ve ever had. A couple years before that I’d had bad viral bronchitis (that the stupid walk in clinic docs kept giving me copious amounts of antibiotics for – for about 8 months), and eventually a pulmonologist gave me some cortisone inhalers and suddenly I could function again.

But the antibiotics made my screwy digestive system even worse, and then I never really fully recovered from that cough 3 years ago. Between all that sick, I got some kind of crazy vagal nerve damage and now my throat/voice and LES (sphincter that keeps you from having reflux) is constantly not working right. Anyway, it’s a real mess, and could have all been prevented if I’d been diagnosed and treated appropriately early on.

I wanted to share this to say that Jen, if it doesn’t start improving really soon, try and get a lung/asthma specialist referral and they may be able to help get the cough to calm down (and get your lung capacity back so you’re not so exhausted) so you don’t end up with some stupid long term damage.

• K-Line

Ariane: It was still relatively unheard of in the adult population 3 years ago. I mean, it’s great that you got antibiotics because it’s incredibly contagious (and that would stop your contagion in under a week). But the antibs don’t actually do anything to help the victim. Once you’ve got the symptoms, it has to work its way through your system and that can take weeks to months. There’s a reason old people and infants die from this sometimes. It’s really freakin’ serious and, have to say, without the steroids to keep my trachea open, I would probably not be here either. I still feel the after effects of pertussis. It really changed my body (and sense of health) tremendously. Note, however, an inhaler doesn’t generally help with the symptoms. The illness is related to the trachea, not the lungs.

• Jen

Omg this sounds terrible, I’m so sorry for the both of you! Luckily during my brief hospital stint they tested me for the flu, whooping cough, and something else and all came back negative. Just some good old fashioned bronchitis and a fractured rib over here. My sister is a nurse and made me get the tetanus shot with pertussis about a year ago when my tetanus expired so probably really need to thank her for that.

• gingermakes

Awwww man, how awful! I’m so sorry you’ve been so sick for so long. Here’s hoping you’ll have a speedy recovery! Glad you’ve got your trusty Roamy by your side through this!

• Jen

Thanks so much! Roamy’s the best nurse a girl could ask for…or at least, she’s glad I’m in bed so much so she can lay on top of my chest while I’m trying to cough. Ha!!

• Jen

Thanks so much. Anytime spring wants to show up is okay with me but sadly winter showed up again last night in the form of 4″ of snow. HA!

• Melissa

I’m so sorry you’ve been so ill this winter and am glad you are starting to feel better! I watched the Tom Sachs videos you linked to and I can’t get them out of my head! Just had to say thanks. Am so happy to learn that ‘knolling’ is an actual thing and not just another one of my bizarre ticks. Ha! Love it. ALWAYS BE KNOLLING 4-EVER!

• Jen

Hahaha yeah, I felt the same way when I first saw the video and realized I wasn’t a total weirdo! Well I am but at least other people are too, hahaha!

• christine

hope you’re on the mend soon lady! I got sick last spring and it was the worst I’d had in years – hung on for about 5 weeks and for a solid week of it I had NO VOICE at all! but this will pass and you’ll forget all about it soon enough!

• Jen

Dude, having no voice is THE WORST!!!!! That and a sore throat, luckily I got away light on those this time. Phew!! I’m so ready for spring…now I know why all you ex-Chicagoans move to LA! Ha!!