Handmade Apartment Tour | Bedroom

Grainline Studio | Handmade Apartment Tour | Bedroom

You guys, I love my new bedroom so much! I painted the walls a light silvery grey that is so cozy and relaxing and it’s the perfect size for anything I would want in here. I haven’t made too many things for the bedroom yet, just this chevron pillow, but I’m making super slow progress on my Hills ‘n Hollers Lizzy House Constellations quilt. The goal is to finish it by fall which I think is doable. I also made the heating pad cover a few years ago when the first Denyse Schmidt book came out. Still love that thing! Over the bed I put my print from my friends Julia and Brian, so cute and perfect for the room!

Grainline Studio | Handmade Apartment Tour | Bedroom

I have the funniest little night table I found at a Goodwill in college over 10 years ago. Someone just built it out of scrap wood and I have to re-hammer it together every time I move, but for some unexplainable reason it is exactly the perfect size turned one way or the other for every single bedroom I’ve had since I found it. We were meant to be! I’m currently plowing my way through Infinite Jest, pretty good so far, I just need to start going to bed earlier so I have more reading time.

Grainline Studio | Handmade Apartment Tour | Bedroom

Here’s my little row of dressers complete with photos of both sets of my grandparents, double narwhals, and an actual photograph of Abraham Lincoln. My uncle found this cracked glass negative somewhere in one of the buildings he’s restored in Springfield and had 3 prints made from it. Pretty cool if you ask me, though an interest in Lincoln does run in my family…

Grainline Studio | Handmade Apartment Tour | Bedroom

I found my dresser at the Sandwich Antique Market about 10 years ago, it’s solid metal and came from the old Geneva, IL hotel. It’s one of my favorite things I own, I couldn’t believe my luck when I stumbled upon it! It’s kind of a beast to move but that thing is as solid as they come.

Grainline Studio | Handmade Apartment Tour | Bedroom

This is the funniest part about my bedroom, I didn’t realize it when I was getting everything together but I went a little stripe crazy in here. Double striped Pendleton blankets, striped rug, and two sets of striped Unison sheets. Don’t forget about that chevron pillow either, sheesh Jen! Ha!

27 replies on “Handmade Apartment Tour | Bedroom

• Michelle

Here’s a tip: don’t read more 100 pages of Infinite Jest a day. That was a really bad decision on my part… I read it so fast that i couldn’t catch all the details, so now I’ll have to read it again! When I feel like reading a thousand page book again, haha.

• דורה ק.

That is amazing.

• maddie

Love your bedroom. The light grey definitely makes it cozy and one can never have too many stripes. There’s nothing in this world better than stripes. Okay, maybe polka dots!

• blancapate

What I gorgeous bedroom!! Very cozy. 🙂 All of my stuff is hand-me-downs from my mom and dad, and although it’s all kind of rickety after moving so many times it’s the same as your night stand – it never fails to perfectly fit in wherever we move!! I could never get rid of it all.

Wow – what an amazing photo of ABE LINCOLN! How many people can say they have an actual photograph of him…? Maybe a museum?! So cool. 😉

Can’t wait to see your quilt next fall! I have a couple of her patterns on my list right now. I have the fabric already, just need to get cutting. I’m hoping to have them both done in a year and a half… it takes about that long. You’ll be ready for the cold weather!

• jen | grainline

Thanks! It’s funny how some furniture just works out no matter where you are. If you can make two quilts in a year and a half I’ll be impressed…I have a feeling come fall I’ll still be working on mine 😉 Which ones are you making? I had such a hard time narrowing it down to this one!

• Amanda

I know, I could just sit and look through her designs all day!! I plan to make her Streak of Lightening and Crazy Star quilts, although I’ve been a bit side-tracked this past weekend. My husband had a bunch of old jeans he was going to give away, and – inspired by this http://www.folkfibers.com/products/arizona-quilt – I’ve started cutting them into a log cabin design for my bed. I’m using a pattern from Modern Log Cabin Quilts book. Not sure if you’ve seen these designs before, but the denim and muslin looks like something that would go perfect in your living room!!!

• jen | grainline

I haven’t seen that book before but man it is gorgeous! It’s now on my Amazon wishlist…now I just need a birthday or Christmas! I’m going to be watching for your quit, it’s going to be amazing!

• jen | grainline

I definitely recommend it, not that I’m serious or anything. I only have 3 things hanging I think? HA! I told myself that I was going to get with the hanging things on the wall program though…

• Kelly

I can see why you love your bedroom, it looks very pretty and calming. I look forward to a time when I can decorate a little more- I have 2 little girls and it is just a victory if our place doesn’t look like a tornado just came through!!

• nettie

I love your place so much!! I don’t have a knack for decorating, so I always enjoy seeing how other people tackle it! Your great sense of style shows through!

• gingermakes

I love your bedroom– it looks like a wonderful place to wake up in! Mine is a wreck. It’s the least-decorated room in the house, and is bland and not reflective of mine or Man Friend’s taste. I’m thinking maybe a re-do is in order! I like your stripes/plaid combo! It’s very you!

• jen | grainline

Thanks, I am definitely enjoying it! You should have seen my bedroom before, my entire apartment for that matter…it was a NIGHTMARE!! Crumbling bricks, a giant perpetual mess that wasn’t mine, unfinished drywall, the list goes on. So glad to have a finished place now!