A Plaid Flannel Archer

Grainline Studio | Plaid Flannel Archer | Photo by Julia Stotz

[all photos by Julia Stotz]

Welp, first up on the Archer Show & Tell Show is this plaid flannel version. If you know me in real life, you know I’m usually found wearing one of two things – a red plaid flannel button up shirt or a ratty grey zip up hoodie and if you’re lucky (or if you follow my Instagram feed), both at once. Now we can add this blue plaid flannel button up shirt to that list, hell yes!

Grainline Studio | Plaid Flannel Archer | Photo by Julia Stotz

The fabric was a purchase from Mood many moons ago, perhaps at the store in NYC? I can’t quite remember, but I’ve always had these plans for it. The flannel is 100% cotton and is so soft and getting softer with each wash, dream town USA dudes. Seriously I need to always have one eye out for a good quality flannel and stockpile that stuff. I’ve said before that my favorite graphic style looks like it came from The Field Museum, well apparently my favorite clothing style looks like it just walked out of the woods. I do spend a fair amount of time in the northwoods wandering around looking for animals, checking out marshes for new birds, and boating around looking for loons, muskrats, and secret inlets so, if the shoe fits, right? (You guys like all those commas? Someone needs to bust out the Chicago Manual of Style and freshen up.)

Grainline Studio | Plaid Flannel Archer | Photo by Julia Stotz

You can expect to see more of these plaid flannel Archers just as soon as I rassle up new fabrics for them. If you see any good plaids out there on the ol’ internet let me know, though I probably should fancy things up a bit in my wardrobe. I’d also like to point out that my face is front and center in all these photos (I recently took a bit of a beating from multiple sources for not showing it much) though I did have to throw in this last schlumpy photo, just because, hahahaha! I’ll be back tomorrow with another Archer…stay tuned.

42 replies on “A Plaid Flannel Archer

• Alex

Love this shirt on you – and you should show your face more often BTW! Think I may pluck up the courage to join the Archer sewalong. As much as I love the plaid, my lack of sewing expertise combined with perfectionist tendencies may result in much angst so may stick with something more forgiving!

• jen | grainline

Thanks! I swear I mostly don’t show it b/c it makes the garment smaller in the photo. I’m all about practicality my friend, gotta show that garment large! As far as those perfectionist tendencies go, I know it’s hard because I’m one myself, but you’ve got to give yourself some room to try things out and just go with the flow. I should take my own advice!

• didyoumakethat

Yesterday I was wearing a plaid flannel shirt when I was in Mood … looking at plaid flannels. I wonder if this is actually the perfect fabric for my first go at this shirt – I won’t be too heartbroken if anything goes wrong. Though there’s always the stripe matching issue, but hey. Hmmm…. Great shirt, by the way!

• jen | grainline

You’ve spotted my master plan, trying to get everyone back in flannel. It’s not just for 90’s grunge kids and woodworkers anymore, it’s the go to look for ladies about town. Haha, thanks, I threw that photo in for people like you!

• jen | grainline

Thanks! I’m super lucky to have such a talented friend to photograph these things for me, poor Julia is going to wish she never agreed to start doing this. Once she runs out of handmade things she wants I’m finished, hopefully that never happens!

• sallie

Hi face! I love plaid flannels – they’re a go to for me as well (incidentally, also often worn with a ratty ass blue zip up hoodie…) I’m super excited to make the Archer!

• Jenn

Jen, will you have tips on matching plaid? I have some cozy flannel plaid shirting in my stash. I’m thinking I’m going to be brave and go for it if you have some tips. Can’t wait for the Archer sew along! It’s my treat for getting through midterms!

• jen | grainline

I wasn’t planning on but I could throw in a few pointers on it into the post on cutting out your shirt without much trouble. It’ll have to be illustrated instead of photographed though b/c I already shot that shirt.

• Kelly

Oh, I want one just like this. I stumbled upon some nice flannel at JoAnn of all places a couple years ago, and it was a revelation. I’m always looking out for more now too!

• Stephanie

I always enjoy your photos but these are especially striking!! You look so fresh, young, and beautiful!! The shirt is fantastic. And that’s coming from someone whose biggest design blog pet peeve is people who focus on themselves looking good in photos to make up for design :p!!! You rule. Keep the awesomeness coming.

• Kieran

Such a lovely face it is 🙂 I’m getting reeeally excited for this sewalong! I was just planning a chambray version, but a flannel version seems like Such. A. Good. Idea. right now!

• jen | grainline

Haha, why do the boys always have such comfortable clothes?! It’s possible that I *may* have stolen a sweater from Luke when I moved out, I can’t confirm or deny that fact though…

• Quinn

Love it! I also spend a lot of time in flannel. And in the woods. And I think it’s really getting hard to find a good-quality, thick and soft, flannel shirt where the plaid is matched on the side seams…I don’t think that is asking too much! Making your own is an excellent option 🙂

• mmgkelly

Sweet sauce! We are lucky to have a lady creating badass wearable patterns like you do. THANKS YOU! Can’t wait to make my Archers. Lucked out to find some vintage lightweight cotton plaids at a thrift store that are sure to be bulls-eyes for Northern Colorado spring/summer/fall. I have a question about sizing…your style seems to tend towards the more relaxed, which I like, but I’ve made 3 different Scouts before finding the perfect size combination for my really tall, mostly flat chested bod. Can you speak to the ease of this pattern as opposed to your other tops (Scout & Tiny Pocket)?

Also, here is a blog post about cutting plaid that I’ve found to be helpful since I see a question above about the topic : http://reallyhandmade.com/cutting-out-plaid/

• jen | grainline

Thanks for those super nice words! I just posted the finished garment measurements in the most recent post so that should help you out. Also I was actually planning on linking to Amy’s tutorial for the sew along, it’s not worth going into much detail when there’s such a good tutorial already out there!

• jess

Such great shirt AND such beautiful face … I agree that you look young and fresh … You should show your face more …

• jen | grainline

Thanks and I swear I don’t not show my face on purpose, it’s just that you get a better view of a torso garment if you cut off your legs and head, and isn’t that really what it’s all about? Hahaha!

• Olga

This shirt is plaid flannel perfection! I agree that not only good plaid cotton flannel if very hard to find (I am yet to score some), but good-fitting button-down RTW shirts are hard to come by too! (Maybe I just don’t know where to look, but the ones I have from Madewell are too short and too wide, in addition to being overpriced). I am so psyched for this sew-along, so that I can 1) get back to sewing and 2) finally make me enough good button-downs, so that I can have one for every day of the week!

• jen | grainline

I totally agree! I was just at Madewell the other day and tried on the chambray polka dot button down…it was awful! I really really really really wanted it to work but it was boxy as all get out in a non-flattering way, too wide and short like you said! I’m all for the oversized garment but sheesh, this was bad news!

• gingermakes

I love this I love this I LOOOOOOVE this! Crap, I’m actually wearing a plaid flannel shirt right now…. I’m totally stuck in the ’90’s. Courtney Love is the coolest, amiright? Anyway, I support your decision to wear lots of cotton flannel and I can’t wait to make one of my own!