2013 Plans and Schemes

So it’s time for my goals for 2013 post. I like to call them goals rather than resolutions, something to work towards achieving rather than something you make yourself do, at least that’s how it seems to me. I’m pretty happy with my 2012 progress, I accomplished all the goals on my list for 2012 (release more patterns, do another seasonal wardrobe, and I busted out a lot of tutorials, tips & tricks) so that feels good. Anyway here’s what I hope to accomplish in 2013…

▲ Printed Paper Grainline Patterns : That’s right, actual patterns printed on actual paper that you buy and don’t have to print, tape, and cut out. I already have a graphic designer, illustrator, and printer, I LLC’d myself to make it super legit and we’re going to make this happen! I’m completely and utterly terrified but excited at the same time. I’d say it’s about 70% terrifying, 30% exciting, haha. I’m debating sharing some progress/process on the blog, we’ll see.

Downloadable Patterns : I’d like to do a few small projects as downloads, things that don’t take too much paper. I’ll also be offering all of the printed patterns as downloads in case you prefer that method. I really want to make more stuffed creatures, man I am sort of addicted to making those!

Maintaining + Expanding : What I mean by this is to just keep making tutorials, tips, tricks, Sew & Tell posts, whatever, just make them bigger and better. I have a fun collaboration coming up next week that will become a semi-regular thing.

▲ Keep Interacting : I’m pretty active on Instagram but my Twitter and Facebook pages are semi-neglected. I feel sometimes like Twitter is a sewing party that I’ll never crack into, and Facebook, well I’m just not very good at that. I also need to keep commenting on blogs, I got pretty bad over the last 6 months as things started sucking in my personal life but now that that’s over and done with I’m back in the mix. I’ll also be going to NYC late winter / early spring so it would be fun to overcome my extreme social anxiety and meet up with some of the awesome sewing bloggers out there. I’d also really like to go to Portland and hit that Pendleton outlet or whatever it is where you Portlanders come up with those amazing wool remnants, maybe when my sister moves to Seattle later this year!

I also just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who reads, comments, purchases a pattern, follows any of my tutorials, etc. You guys are the best, beyond the best! I am so lucky to be a part of such an amazing community of sewers and am able to be inspired by your amazing blogs and creations, we truly are a lucky group of people! A very happy and creative 2013 to all of you!!

xoxo ya’ll

28 replies on “2013 Plans and Schemes

• Vicki Kate

Here’s to a great year! I can’t imagine how exciting and terrifying becoming an LLC is or launching printed patterns! Big big thank you for those that you’ve released so far as well as all the little tips and tricks you share; I know it’s developed my sewing!

• melanie

How exciting and fun!!! Wish you all the best!!!

But please please still offer pdf patterns, shipping can cost a fortune internationally and I just love downloadable patterns, INSTANT gratifications lol 🙂
    Good luck Jen!!!

• Haley

It’s funny but I am thankful for YOUR resolutions! I made my first article of clothing that actually fits well and is something that I would wear all the time with your tiny pocket tank pattern. It was really empowering. I’m looking forward to trying more of your patterns and seeing what else you come up with. Thanks for using your creativity to serve others by putting such wonderful products in the world. It’s appreciated.

🙂

• carolyn

I just wanted to say that I’ve made two of your patterns so far and have loved them. I defnitely plan to make some more in the future (perhaps my first ever pair of shorts??) and I can’t wait to see what you come up with in the new year. Happy New Year!

• Sarah

All the best for the coming year! Can’t wait for the printed patterns, the moss mini and the tiny pocket tank are on my wish list!

• Gail

I agree with you: “goals” always sounds much more achievable than “resolutions!” This is a great list, and like everyone else, I’m looking forward to seeing your pattern line expand into the printed format. Best of everything in 2013!

• Taja

Oooooooh! You’re official! You were official before, now the world knows it!

Growing a business is at least as terrifying as it is exciting and satisfying. 🙂

• thesecretlifeofseams

This sounds so exciting, I’m definitely looking forward to hearing more about your goals as they progress. I also prefer PDFs but I know lots of sewers like a printed pattern to work with so it sounds like a great opportunity to grow your business!

• Lizzy

One of my goals is going to be to make some of your patterns that Moss skirt looks v.me and am I the only blogger not to have made the woven t-shirt?? My only excuse is I started sewing again in April. Lots of catching up to do!

• Blanca Pate

Hi Jen! I’ve been keeping up with your blog over this past year, and I’m so excited to see what else you have in store for 2013!

I’d definitely purchase a printed pattern from you! I know everyone has their preference, but I’m more into paper than printed PDF.. so you can count on my sale.

Umm.. and can I just say – for some reason, I’ve become obsessed with looking at homemade stuffed creature patterns on the internet lately? I don’t have any children (only dog – children), and none of my friends have really started having tons of babies yet, so it’s not like I’m in need of making baby shower gifts or anything. I just think it’d be nice to fill my sewing room with little creatures that watch me sew and keep me company. 🙂 I discovered this super-cute penguin on Purl Bee this past week, in their year end review:

I’m dying to find a stuffed elephant that has that same look to it – simple and modern, but one that I can make up in a bright patterned fabric.

Anyway, just thought I’d throw that out there.. in case you were looking for any ideas. 😉 And who doesn’t love a good-looking elephant?

I wish only the best for you in 2013! Take care!!!

xo, Amanda

• Carolyn

Out of all the clothes I sew- the stuff I’ve made from your patterns are the things I wear on the most regular basis. So keep em coming! As well as the tip & tutorials – super helpful 🙂 Congrats on the paper patterns- but I’m glad you’re still keeping the epatterns. It makes it easier for us international sewers to have that option.

• sallie

Happy 2013 Jen! Excited about the expanding patterns! I think I need to make “keep interacting” one of my goals for 2013 as well, but it’s a constant battle against my hermity nature! Facebook sends me threatening messages telling me how long its been since I’ve been on…

• Joelle

Back at you! Thanks for being an inspiration! Your maritime shorts pattern was lovely, and I’m already plotting more for summer (when it rolls back around). I’m eyeing the moss skirt, too. I love that your patterns are so wearable, are fun to sew, and don’t require the purchase of special shoes. 🙂

• Grace

Good luck in the New Year! I’m looking forward to more of your patterns and tutorials and hope I run into you when you’re in NYC. My guy & I really enjoy your instagram kitty pics so keep those coming!

• Amy

I look forward to your expansion! I’m with you, I still don’t have a Twitter account. I’m such a creative introvert and I just can’t think in brief synopses! And I’m terrible at Facebook but I keep trying to not to stay in my cave.