Assessing My Handmade Wardrobe

I’m currently working on figuring out my Autumn Wardrobe but I thought that instead of just coming up with a few random pieces that I’d really like, I should try to figure out where the gaps are in my handmade wardrobe and start from there. With that in mind I photographed my handmade wardrobe to lay out and take notes on. I’m sure that you are going to laugh at the amount of tank tops I have, I swear I really do wear them all though, I am a layering queen. I’m missing a few pieces here that were either dirty, at the dry cleaners or I just couldn’t find and I also haven’t photographed any hand knits but this is the bulk of it.

HANDMADE TANKS

Okay, I’ve got a lot of tanks, though like I said above, I really do wear all of them. I’m pretty sure I’ve got this section covered. I do like layering sleeveless shirts though so I’m thinking about coming up with a different style of shell type garment for fall. Something that looks good under a cardigan perhaps.

HANDMADE SHIRTS WITH SLEEVES

Well well well, look at me. All these short sleeve tops and nothing with long sleeves. I’ve got the two button down shirts that I didn’t make for my summer wardrobe so I’ll have those to add after the Autumn Wardrobe but perhaps something else is in order.

HANDMADE BLAZERS AND KNITS

This section could use a little help. I LOVE this blazer and literally wear it all the time once it’s cool enough for a blazer. I’m planning on doing my polka dot blazer for fall so that will add another blazer to the stock. As for the knit, I actually don’t wear a lot of knits, handmade or otherwise, but I think I’d really like to experiment more with knits in the coming months.

HANDMADE SKIRTS

Can you believe I only have 3 handmade skirts (well plus the cobalt skirt in the section below)? I wear the green denim one in the fall all the time so I’d like to add at least one more variation of that skirt into my wardrobe for fall.

HANDMADE SHORTS

Shorts are pretty much covered for now…definitely don’t need to add to that right now. I don’t have any handmade pants but honestly that really doesn’t interest me. Perhaps in the future though.

HANDMADE DRESSES

Ah, dresses. I definitely need to add to this section with a few more easy to wear fall type dresses. I wear the first 4 dresses the most out of this grouping and would love to add something with a 3/4 sleeve or a long sleeved shirtdress. Something easy to throw on that looks good with tights and boots.

HANDMADE OUTERWEAR

I LOVE my handmade outerwear, especially the first coat, I wore that all winter, except for the few days I needed my puffy. I have another coat cut out ready to be sewn that is Thinsulate lined but I think I’ll save that for the winter wardrobe. It would be nice to have another light jacket though.

HANDMADE PAJAMAS

Pretty sure the handmade pajamas are covered for now, though I would like to make a pair of cute knit sweatpants that I can wear around the house and not look insane when people stop by. I am also really interested in making a pair of leggings, though I’m not sure this is really the category for that.

NEW HANDMADE ITEMS

Ah, the new guys. I made these after I had laid out the above photos and was too lazy to re-do their sections.

I’ll be digesting this over the next few days and will be back with my handmade wardrobe later in the week or early next week. I’ve got a few awesome fabrics I think I’m going to use and I’m so excited to post my plans and get to sewing! Is anyone else assessing their handmade wardrobe right now? I know Sunni has been posting about hers, I love that more people are getting into sewing for everyday wear, I think it’s the best type of sewing!!!

36 replies on “Assessing My Handmade Wardrobe

• anto

It’s great to see everything you’ve made laid out like this. I really hope I can make some time to plan out and create an autumn wardrobe. It would be so much fun! Not to mention the great perk of adding pretty things to my closet.

• indigorchid

Ahh, I love seeing it presented like this! I want to jump up and do the same thing right now, but… eh, it’s dark outside, it’s bedtime, and I really should unpack from my trip to the US first so I can actually walk on the floor. But I love the idea, and I look forward to seeing your plans! I’ve been absolutely terrible at following any sort of sewing plans, so I’m a little scared to share any. Hmm.

• jen | grainline

I have to say, I highly recommend doing one of these, it was way fun and pretty insightful as well. Plus selfishly I’m going to recommend it because I want to see your handmade wardrobe b/c I know it’s awesome! Omg also I am THE WORST at plans, laying it out is the only way I can commit. Yikes!

• indigorchid

Oh well, then! With such an encouragement I think I’ll just have to! I think I’ll try to set aside some time this weekend to photograph. I’m a little scared to make plans, because I feel like a failure if I don’t complete (though at the same time, not forcing myself if it isn’t fun anymore is the choice I usually make, and I think generally the better one.)

Hey, any knitting plans for the fall? 😉

• jen | grainline

I’m actually just about to order some sock yarn now! Other than that the only plan is to FINALLY finish my Icelandic sweater, that thing is getting embarrassing. Anything you’re planning?

Also don’t feel like a failure, just make a plan with the understanding that you’ll do what you can and not be hard on yourself if you don’t finish. That’s what I did for my first seasonal wardrobe and it was really fun!

• Rebecca

Huh! Only 8 sleeveless top? Just went and counted mine. 16!!!! Mind you I live in Sydney Australia and wear them layered in winter and by themselves in summer. And they look a bit ratty I must say. Time for some updates before the hot weather. Love the way you have laid everything out. This makes it so easy to see the gaps. Did you use photoshop for this? I have been seeing these layouts around the blogs lately and haven’t a clue how to do this. Love love love your blog.

• jen | grainline

Hahahaha, that’s not counting the sleeveless tops I own that I didn’t make, I’m not going to even count b/c I’m afraid I may surpass your 16. I also love layering them in the winter months, they really are good all year round in my opinion. As far as the layout, it was Photoshop all the way!

• Melissa

Love this post – I think you’ve inspired me to do one of my own! I agree with the comment above that you can really see a distinct style and point of view here – wonder what I’ll discover about my style?

• Beth

I love seeing what you’ve made! Everything fits so well together. I’m really impressed with your coats!! And I want pajama shorts like yours. I can hardly begin to imagine what my handmade wardrobe would look like when all put together. It would be fun to see!

• jen | grainline

Thanks, previous to this I had thought that my style was all over the map, but this really helped put it into perspective for me. Also I have a tutorial on the pajama short binding scheduled for next week, so stay tuned if you’re interested

• jen | grainline

Thanks! You’ll perhaps be happy to know that almost all of the geometric prints were designed and custom printed for my clothing line hound, which means you can print your own as well too! For smaller orders, give Spoonflower a try, they’ve got really good quality and if you don’t feel like designing there are thousands of designs from other small print designers to choose from. I used Spoonflower to print the cloud print dress.

• lisasmallthings

I love your wardrobe! You have a great style, I’d take it all right now 🙂 I’ve done a roundup of my handmade wardrobe (not as neat as yours), also to evaluate what items I end up wearing. I’m still in a high learning curve so items that were made half a year ago might not get much wear anymore. But it’s really insightful to do and to evaluate the gaps. I wonder what you’ll come up with next!

• jen | grainline

Thanks lady. Definitely some longer sleeved shirts coming up, haha! It’s pretty fun to do a roundup, isn’t it…way more fun than I thought it would be and I learned a lot more than I had predicted as well.

• Heather Lou

WHOA NELLY! I’m so impressed seeing it all up there. You’re making me feel really bad about my UTTER lack of tops and tanks – I have my own favourite white t-shirt which is getting so gross…. I need to get on this. I have a dress problem so this fall is ALL about separates. Can’t wait to see your plans! And kudos on getting so Cher in Clueless about your wardrobe. Now you just need a computer program to help you pick outfits.

• jen | grainline

AHHHH CLUELESS!!!! Such a good movie, omg. Hahahaha, classic. Don’t feel bad, omg now I’m going to feel bad for you feeling bad, ha. Anyway, you’ve got an amazing wardrobe, I mean crap girl, you make BATHING SUITS!!!! Yeah, you’ve got it going on major.

• thesecretlifeofseams

Totally agree about everyday sewing! Sewing is fun but sometimes hard work, so I want to get the most wear out of the things I make.
    I love looking at people’s handmade wardrobes all together like this. And this peek gives a really strong sense of your personal style.
    Can’t wait to see Autumn plans!