Friday Failure

So you know when you have this wonderful idea for a project and then you’re making it and thinking, “this is strange, I should stop,” but then you keep pushing ahead? That happened to me yesterday. I was working on this skirt and my normal editing function short circuited and I just kept going and going and going on this horribly doomed project. When I woke up a bit ill today it sort of explained where my head was at yesterday but man, what a disappointment! I’m hoping I can salvage it into something when I’m feeling better, we’ll see. It’s just always so sad when this happens.

To end on a slightly less depressing note, a beautiful beach scene found here and two live puffin cams, the puffin burrow and the puffin loafing ledge, found via Evie on twitter. Happy weekend!

17 replies on “Friday Failure

• Beth

It’s so sad when a project doesn’t turn out as one imagined. I’m sure you’ll be able to resurrect it one day. Have a great weekend and fell better!

• maddie

I used to do a lot of this – just keep going and going – but I have slowly developed the skill to stop, step away, and think when I encounter a problem. I usually have to step away for a night or an afternoon and not think about it. Somehow, subconsciously, the answer usually comes to me. I’m sorry to hear about your project. I don’t think it’s a failure though. I’m sure you can do something else with it!

• jen | grainline

I usually have no problem stopping but I think the excessive heat + being under the weather was clouding my judgement in a BIG way! I think I should be able to turn it into something else without too much trouble once I’m done being too mad to look at it! Ha!

• Amy

Oh no! I actually just wrote a blog post about being afraid of this exact thing happening. :/ I hope you can save some of that lovely fabric- perhaps as a trim? What exactly is wrong with it?

• jen | grainline

I actually read that post the other day and loved it!! The fabric just had a little too much body for the skirt I was planning and I realized when trying it on that I would never wear it. Sad times but oh well, I should be able to cut a shirt out of it no problem so it’s not a total loss.

• indigorchid

Ah, yes… totally done that. It’s hard – I think especially for us perfectionists (you’re totally a perfectionist, right?) to admit to ourselves that something might actually not work out, so we just truck ahead with the deluded hope that if only we finish, it has to turn out.

• jen | grainline

Total perfectionist, it’s a blessing and a curse but you know what I’m talking about! I trucked along to the part where I could try it on and it was a MAJOR no. Yikes!!

• crab&bee

Hi! I’ve been following your blog for awhile and felt compelled to comment for the first time because this happened to me very recently. It’s a terrible feeling! I hope you feel better and can salvage the project!

• jen | grainline

It’s such a bummer, sorry to hear this happened to you too. I think I should be able to salvage…hopefully you can do the same!

• satsuki shibuya

i definitely know what you’re talking about! for myself, sometimes i get in this strange mindset thinking that if i just keep pushing forward, it’ll eventually work itself out, but as you said, once you have that gut feeling it never goes according to plan. you always have a wonderful way of figuring out things & i have a feeling this project will end up becoming something beautiful. 🙂

wishing you a wonderful weekend!

• jen | grainline

Thanks, you are too kind! I think this is destined to become the shirt I had originally planned. Sometimes your best idea is your first one.

• theperfectnose

Sorry to hear that-hopefully it’s something you can seam-rip or refashion. If not, use it for a scarf or kiddy clothes for the shelter. Have a better than now weekend and get better soon.

• Julie

oh no!! I hate it when that happens (and annoyingly happens to us all!). But you are so talented and creative, these setbacks aren’t as frequent as your wins.

• jen | grainline

Thanks Julie, it’s so frustrating but inevitable I suppose. Glad I could share the puffin love with you!!!!!!!