North American Birds and Tutorial Requests

[Birds of North America print from Small Adventure]

Sorry for the long silence this past week, I’ve been without my camera cord since last week but today I get it back and can get all my post photos off, finally! Get ready for a tutorial on french seaming sleeves, a finished project and some spring wardrobe updates. In the meantime enjoy this super sweet print from Small Adventure. With all the amazing weather happening here in Chicago the birds are coming out of the woodwork, yes! It’s so nice to hear them chirpy chirp chirping in the morning out the window instead of just the garbage trucks in our alley. Oh city living…

I’ve also noticed that my tutorials are getting semi-popular as far as this blog goes and have been coming up with ideas for new ones. I have some ideas but I want to make sure that they’re useful to you guys, not just what I’m guessing people might like to know. It’s really hard to guess! I know I did a call for things you would like to see a tutorial for about a year ago that I’ve loosely been working off but I’m not sure how many of these things still apply. Soooo…..if there is a technique either sewing,  patternmaking or whatever that you would like to see, leave me a comment below and I’ll see what I can do. Things on my current list include cutting silk, a notched collar and some other random junk.

33 replies on “North American Birds and Tutorial Requests

• katie

do you use a serger to finish the arm holes of sleeves? I have yet to figure out how to get off the circle with my serger as cleanly as I would like – thanks! katie

• jen | grainline

It’s sort of an awkward process, don’t know that I do it any cleaner than you do, but I’ll be happy to do a Tips & Tricks on it!

• Leah

Oh, please give us more tutorials, I love your tutorials. And that is a great print, I would love to print that on fabric and make a skirt out of that. Or just hang it on that wall. Whatever works.

• jen | grainline

Isn’t that print the best? The artist is a super talented illustrator, I pretty much want everything in her shop!

• sewinginthewind

I think your tutorials are fantastic — so clear and well-illustrated — and it’s great to get your ‘insider’ view on industry techniques. On my tutorial wish list would be: 1. removing sleeve cap ease from commercial patterns 2. adding a bust dart to a pattern that doesn’t have one 3. sewing nice, even gathers without a gathering foot. Thanks so much for continuing to share your knowledge.

• jen | grainline

Thanks for the suggestions and the kind words. There seems to be a lot of interest in sleeve cap ease and sleeves in general so I’ll put that on the list! The other two as well, thanks!

• jen | grainline

These tutorials are going to be the best. Right now I’m working on how to eat a 10oz bag of Cadbury Mini Eggs in one evening. Get ready!!!!!

• Elizabeth

This might be stretching it, but I want so badly to make your denim mini-skirt! I guess what I’d really like is the pattern, but short of that I sure would appreciate a tutorial on lapped seams and flies.

• jen | grainline

I can’t guarantee a pattern right now (though eventually I would like to do one, it’s on my super super super super long to do list) but I will pop the two techniques on the list!

• Jessica

This isn’t so much of a tutorial as maybe a possible post. Can you please discuss finishing seams on armholes? I don’t own a serger and my current method looks bulky.

• jen | grainline

Do you mean for armholes with or without a sleeve? I’m guessing you mean with sleeves since you mentioned serging, but I’ve been known to read things wrong on more than one occasion.

• jen | grainline

I just posted a tutorial on how to french seam them, other than that you can zig zag around the edges to imitate a serger-like effect. Hope that helps a bit?

• Kelli

The weather has been amazing hasn’t it?

Another tutorial that I would love is how to grade patterns up or down a size. Thanks for all of your amazing tutorials. I feel like yours are a notch above others. Your workmanship is perfect.

• jen | grainline

This weather is too good to be true! A perfect week to be dog sitting at my parent’s in the suburbs, that’s for sure. Backyard weather!!

Grading is something I get a lot of requests for, I think what may be the most useful rather than just up or down one size is how to grade it up or down to your measurements. Putting it on the list!

• Leah

I’d love some advice on armhole and sleeve resizing. I feel like the armscye is often too tight at the front and the sleeve is often restricting. I guess I have broad shoulders? Thanks!

• jen | grainline

I think that the tightness you’re experiencing probably has more to do with the shape of the front armscye rather than your shoulders. I’ll be sure to put armhole shaping on the list.

• Mika

It looks like I’m not alone in this – I really struggle with sleeves, and I would love to see a post related to removing sleeve cap ease, making changes to the armscye, and just in general getting a properly fitting sleeve that looks good and that you can move in. I can never seem to get both of those at the same time!

• jen | grainline

It looks like we may need to organize Armhole Week 2012! Haha, but seriously armholes are a pain in the ass. 4real. I’ll hook you up.

• Julie Dickover

Hello! This is sort of random, but I made a dress a while back that had side seam pockets and I wanted to do a French seam but couldn’t figure out how to do it with those darn pockets. Is that possible? Would totally love a tutorial on how to solve that issue!

• jen | grainline

Let me think on this one and get back to you. I can imagine one or two ways to do it way to do it, but I just came up with those in my head now and haven’t done it yet. I’m going to ask our seamstress at work as well and if there’s a proper way to do it she definitely knows how.

• jen | grainline

Thank you! I’m glad they’re helpful. I sort of hate when people act like sewing is so complicated so I really want to show everyone that it’s actually easy (and even more fun) once you know the proper steps!

• Sònia

I really love your blog!

I’m a newie in sewing my own garmets, but I LOVE IT. I recently made your scout woven tee and I’m pretty glad about the final results, but I had some difficulties in the sleeves to avoid the puffy effect.I wanted to make it look like your own version in red wool crepe. I made what I could, but it was a very very heterodox and inexact method.
    Maybe you could explain howdo you do it.

Thanks again for your generosity.

• elena gold

i second the idea about how to combine pockets with french seams. i love your idea of a tutorial about cutting silk, also tips on sewing silk! thank you! your tutorials are so wonderful.

• jen | grainline

I’m going to look into the french seam + pocket situation. I just photographed the cutting silk process yesterday so hopefully in the next few weeks I’ll have that up. I’ll add any other silk sewing techniques I can think of to the list as well.

• Keiko

I almost missed this! Thank you so much for putting up my print! I’ve been thinking about getting my illustrations printed on fabric so it was good hearing feedback about that. Also, your blog is beautiful. Please keep up the excellent work!