Grainline Studio on Marketplace

Grainline Studio | Marketplace Feature

I’m so excited to share this news, I was interviewed for Marketplace a bit back and my piece aired yesterday! I was totally nervous to see what made the cut into the final interview, the interview I did down at WBEZ was about a half hour long. It was really strange, sitting in a little sound proof room with fancy headphones on and a little round microphone, talking to them in LA, especially since I was super nervous! Anyway I’m super happy with how the little piece turned out, especially all the little sound effects, which are actually me working! They sent someone over to my house to record me working, (Bill Healy, who it turns out is an award winning  journalist and sound recorder so he was totally overqualified) and that part was really really fun. I had to keep making the loudest noises I could with my tools on repeat…it was pretty hard not to laugh.

Anyway, you can listen to the finished piece below or click over to their site to listen there, hope you enjoy and also get a sense of just how much I love my job making patterns for all of you. And me, my wardrobe definitely benefits. Ha!

This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Grainline Studio on Marketplace

1. jojokanner says:

The ONE day I’m not listening to NPR/Marketplace, and there you are! Yours is one of the 5 sewing blogs I follow religiously, and I’m very happy to see that you are getting some happy recognition. Congratulations!!! Thank you for sharing your world with me in sunny FL. Keep up the terrific work!

2. Hey Jen, its cool to hear your voice! You sounded great and its really lovely that you are doing a job you love so much ; ) Go you!!
    I thought the ‘pattern-cutting’ noises definately added context to your piece – nice work Bill Healy.
    I’m hoping to join in the Moss Mini make next month if I can squeeze in some time for sewing.

3. Alison says:

Loved loved hearing you on marketplace last night! I was making dinner when it came on and when they introduced the segment I thought, ” hey, that’s Jen!!”. I stopped turned up the radio and cheered you, your words and your work from afar. I know I don’t really know you (it’s just that odd feeling of connection that grows here in blog land), but I did want to shout a little thank you and well done to you this morning.

4. Samantha says:

I liked hearing your voice. When I sew your patterns (mostly Moss to date, although it’s time to get going on an Archer…(or 2), I feel like we’re having a conversation. So now I know what you sounds like when we’re talking about seam allowances, hems and altering the yoke. It is a silly little thing, but I wish they could have somehow mentioned that you sell sewing patterns to millions of home sewists… Looking forward to your Madewell Scout!

5. Claire says:

Yay! That’s so cool! I love me some NPR, and it’s even cooler to hear someone I “know” on their shows.

6. sewstitches says:

What a great interview, really enjoyed it & the sound effects of you working were great too. I love your patterns, I’m just at the beginning teaching myself pattern cutting & your blog together with your interview has given me the inspiration to keep going :)
    Sharon (from the UK)

7. Sarah Hoadley says:

Hi Jen, it was great to hear your voice. I recently stepped into the world of indie sewing patterns and before I knew it I had made two Moss minis, a Tiny Pocket Tank and a Hemlock and am half way through an Archer Shirt. Your designs are so classic yet hip and a love wearing everything that I have made so far. Listening to the Marketplace piece makes me feel even more connected to you and your patterns. That is a good feel and one that is definitely missing from the anonymously mass produced clothes that are everywhere. It makes me want to be more deliberate about my clothing choices.

8. lisa g says:

that is soooo cool! congrats on the interview! it’s always fun to hear the voice of bloggers i read. you are truly one of my favorite pattern designers, your work never fails me!

9. Amy Cuny says:

It was a great piece – it led me to your blog! Thanks!
    Amy

10. I loved listening to the interview. It was so good to put a voice to a name/a face/a brand. You’re enthusiasm for what you do and your appreciation of us, the people buying your patterns, was clear. As the Paul Kelly (Australian musician) sings… from little things big things grow! Your little company has had a huge (positive) impact on the worldwide sewing community. Love your work!

11. Robin says:

that was so cool!

12. oH my gosh! I think this is just fantastic!!! Love it! So nice to hear your voice, I might need to make a moss mini or archer now.

13. Yumi says:

This is amazing Jen, congratulations! You make some of the most beautiful an versatile patterns out there. I look forward to more patterns from you in the future.

14. knittedblissjc says:

Amazing, you sound wonderful and so passionate about what you do! Congrats on the interview!

15. Kristi says:

Wow, you sounded great! Very cool to hear your interview.

16. How exciting! Your patterns are the best – I can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

17. Pingback: Grainline on Marketplace | the soft science

18. Kelly says:

You sounded great Jen! As long as you are making patterns, I’ll be buying them- you’re the best!!

19. Ann says:

Short, but sweet. I love the interview, and am so grateful to be able to sew your patterns. I thought of you last night when I saw an ad on television for Chico’s. They are advertising the “new”, sexy longshirt. It resembles your Archer blouse with the gathered flounce in the back. You are definitely ahead of the curve.

20. Michelle says:

Great piece, Jen! Keep doing what you love. Computers might be efficient, but they lack imagination and creativity.

21. zilredloh says:

Woot! Totally tuned in to the live broadcast last night – streamed from my phone. It was a great piece & I hope you get some fun, unexpected traffic today.

I noticed all of the sound clips too and thought they were taken at your place. Too bad we didn’t hear Roamy in the background. :)

22. juebejue says:

wooooow! its an awesome piece! congratulations and its such a thrill to hear about sewing in a mainstream media!

23. miscmarsha says:

It’s always fun to hear the real voice of someone whose words you’ve been reading (and patterns you’ve been sewing!). Too bad it wasn’t longer!

24. Kelly says:

This is so amazing!!! You’re almost a celebrity!

25. linda says:

What a sweet interview! And I can definitely hear in your voice how sweet and genuine you sound when talking about your craft. Thanks for sharing, Jen.

26. Diane says:

Great interview, Jen. It was nice to hear your voice; it conveyed the enjoyment and passion you have for your craft. So cool.

27. Kristine says:

I heard the interview in my car on the way home from work yesterday and couldn’t wait to check out this website when I got home. Sounds like you love what you’re doing! As a sewist, quilter, and needlewoman, I can so appreciate your craft. I mentioned the interview and you to my daughter who lives in Chicago and it turns out she already has some of your patterns and is quite familiar with your work.

28. amyalan says:

Ahhh!! I love it so much! You did a great job. I only wish we could have heard more from you!

29. Heather Lou says:

AWESOME JEN! Such a great spot. Your sound effects were stupendous. And I loved hearing your voice!

30. Nicole says:

On Marketplace with Kai Ryssdal! That’s amazing! Congrats, and wonderful spot–wished it could have been longer!

31. gingermakes says:

Loved this so much! It’s so awesome! Congrats on the spot, and well done!

32. MadeByMeg says:

Gaaah! I often listen to NPR as a sew, and I would have FREAKED OUT if I had heard this live on air. But I couldn’t help myself and went ahead and listened to it here. How awesome!

33. Jodi says:

I heard the tail end of your piece on NPR last night and looked up Grainline. Now I am following your blog, checking out your patterns and wondering where I went wrong with my career choices! Hooray for small/local pattern makers.

34. Lin Miller says:

Congrats Jen. I’m a new follower and hope to see more of your work. I’ll be ordering soon. – - – do you do any teaching?

35. Patrice says:

I heard it! I said “Eek! I know who that is, I just made two of her patterns! Cool!”.

36. This is so awesome!!! I so wish I would have heard it on NPR – SURPRISE! :) It’s so cool to hear the voice of someone you only know in e-mail and pictures – the sound effects were pretty amazing too! Congrats on the whole shebang :)

37. Sally says:

That was awesome…. Sound effects added to it but your enthusiasm and love for the work came through loud and strong. Glad you won’t be disappearing!

38. I listened to it just then. Good job, you sounded great!

39. TinaLou says:

I really enjoyed hearing your voice – your love for your world shines through! Oh, and is there a Moss Mini make in May? I must sign on for that!

40. emsewcrazy says:

I have to admit I was really bummed it wasn’t longer! You did a great job and it was very interesting!

41. Dee says:

Jen congratulations, what you do is awesome you are a one woman enterprise that captures the essence of the new sewing movement we all find ourselves collectively part of…I know i check you blog very regularly love you inspiration, your no nonsense approach to making your own stuff, and last but by no means least your style!

42. Awesome interview Jen! Congratulations.

43. Barbara J says:

Yay! I listen to Marketplace all the time, many times when I am actually sewing. I have a little radio crush on Kai :) So glad you got the exposure, Jen, along with all the new followers who will see for themselves the wonderful work that you go.

44. maddie says:

Congratulations Jen! I’ll head on over and check it out!

45. Tilly Buttons says:

Very cool! Loved hearing your voice, and your passion for pattern making. Woop! x

46. Lucy A says:

I loved the piece and it led me to your blog. I love hearing about other sewers doing what they love!

47. Charnelle says:

congrats on the interview. It was a great piece!

48. Anna says:

Loved your interview. As other mentioned it was nice to hear your voice! Congrats on the feature.

49. Sarah S says:

So glad I looked at your blog today. I listen to NPR every evening but missed the airing. You didn’t sound nervous and I enjoyed the interview. I’ve bought the Scout Tee pattern last summer and recently, I’ve come across a blogger that mention you. The world feels small! So fun!

50. I love Marketplace — what a cool feature! Congrats!

51. Sarah Mikaela Williams says:

I just happened to be driving to the grocery store when your interview aired. You sound so genuinely passionate and fulfilled by what you do! Great feature!

52. Davina says:

So cool to hear you, Jen! You sound adorable and it was awesome to see how much you love what you do! Keep being awesome!