Spring ’14 Wardrobe: Cream Terry Sweatshirt

Grainline Studio | Spring '14 Wardrobe | Cream Terry Sweatshirt

I’m so excited to blog the first part of my Spring ’14 Wardrobe! I finished this a little bit ago but was waiting for some non-coat, snow melted weather to go out and photograph it and yesterday was the day.

Grainline Studio | Spring '14 Wardrobe | Cream Terry Sweatshirt

I picked up this natural colored terry at Drygoods while I was in Seattle last fall with the vague idea of making a sweatshirt. Quick note about Drygoods, I feel like Keli is stocking that shop specifically for me. SO GOOD!! Okay back to the sweatshirt. Originally I thought I’d dye this fabric but when I saw this slightly off colored ribbing at JoAnn I got the idea to make the sweatshirt with ‘contrast’ ribbing. Can you really call it contrast ribbing when it’s just barely off? It’s off colored enough that you can tell I mean to do it, but still really subtle. If it didn’t work out I was going to overdye the sweatshirt but I love how it turned out!

Grainline Studio | Spring '14 Wardrobe | Cream Terry Sweatshirt

Grainline Studio | Spring '14 Wardrobe | Cream Terry Sweatshirt

You can see the contrast a bit better here. For the pattern I drafted a sweatshirt with a wider neck than normal. I hate when things are close up on my neck, always feel like I’m choking, so this neck is great for me.

Grainline Studio | Spring '14 Wardrobe | Cream Terry Sweatshirt

Grainline Studio | Spring '14 Wardrobe | Cream Terry Sweatshirt

This was also my first real project on my Bernina coverstitch/chainstitch machine. I’d done a lot of sewing with it on scraps to test it out and see what worked and what didn’t, but it took me quite a while after I purchased it to get to a real project. I have to say I love it so far!

Grainline Studio | Spring '14 Wardrobe | Cream Terry Sweatshirt

Grainline Studio | Spring '14 Wardrobe | Cream Terry Sweatshirt

Anyway I’m loving this sweatshirt and now that it’s been photographed I can wear it without worry of a tea mishap or some similar horror! It’s funny how now when I make something, instead of wearing it with abandon right away I wait till I’ve photographed it to really wear it like a normal garment. Ha!

Grainline Studio | Spring '14 Wardrobe | Cream Terry Sweatshirt

One last hilarious Chicago alleyway photo. Check out that beautiful pile of dirty, dingy, old snow. You thought it was a rock? Ha! Also in case you were wondering, here are the details of my outfit.

jean jacket – high school | jean jacket pin – canadian souvineir shop
shoes – dieppa restrepo | bag – claire vivier | pants – gap

This entry was posted in Sewn Garments and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to Spring ’14 Wardrobe: Cream Terry Sweatshirt

1. misscrayolacreepy says:

I love the idea of the subtle contrast, it looks really great!

2. haywood says:

“You thought it was a rock!” That made me giggle. Too funny. Super cute sweat shirt!

• Jen says:

The funniest part is that I thought it was a rock until I walked by later that evening and realized it was just a pile of gross snow!

3. I really like it Jen! I can never find sweatshirt fabric in the UK shops… you only ever see the stuff with the nasty fluffy cotton-wool type backing to it *sigh* :(!

4. Great sweatshirt! Your fabric choices were bang on – I love the light contract of the ribbing.

5. Kathryn says:

I love this! The subtle contrast is great! Like Claire I’ve never found any nice sweatshirt material in the uk.

• Jen says:

So funny, I always assumed that the UK probably had the most excellent fabrics, maybe because of the beauty of Liberty? They definitely need to up their sweatshirt game!

6. It really is time the UK cottoned on (pun intended) to the need for high quality fabrics. This looks so high end. Gorgeous.

7. Elle says:

HIVEMIND. I’ve also been really wanting to jump on the whole “fashion sweatshirt” trend this spring mostly because…hello….FASHION. SWEATSHIRT. Yours looks great! Also your Chicago alley picture made me laugh because I also live in Chicago and my alley looks the same. Hurry up, spring!

• Jen says:

Hahahaha totally, really any sweatshirt and I’M GAME!!! Where are you at in Chicago? Are you on the fabric store meetup list? I have to admit I haven’t read the recipients lately, so you may be on it already…apologies if I’m stating the obvious here!

8. Kelly says:

Oooo, I love this so much! I have a similar french terry that I got here at Bolt, you would love that store so much! I was debating dyeing it too but I really like this cream sweatshirt on you! Mine may end up as a Coco top. I can’t copy *everything* you make, haha.

• Jen says:

Omg dude, we are seriously fabric twins. I was just eying that canvas you posted on IG thinking…what can I make with this. Hahahahaha! Also I was just talking to Amy Alan on the phone the other day, do you know her? She’s in Portland too, I think next time I visit my sister in Seattle I’m going to tack on a day or two to stop down to Portland and see basically everyone on the internet and completely RAID your fabric stores. I think I’d better start saving now, I’m definitely going to need to ship that stuff home!

• Kelly says:

I read Amy’s blog, but I’m pretty sure she has no idea who I am, ha. I would love to meet her though!! I have been wanting to organize a Portland blogger/sewist meet up, and what better time than when Grainline comes to town ;) Let me know when you have some dates and we can put together a meet up. And yes, start saving- you should definitely ship a box (or two) home, there is so much good stuff here. I hardly ever order off the internet anymore. Plus there is no sales tax here so that’s a bonus :)

9. O! Jolly! says:

I love the look, fit, and color(s)! So pretty!

10. gingermakes says:

Ooh, this is way cute! I love it! So cozy!

11. emily marie says:

Yes! The barely-there contrast is just perfect. I’ve been busy making sweatshirts (one with that same ribbing) and wearing them daily for months. About to place an order for more cozy knits, you can never have too many!

• Jen says:

Ooh where are you getting these cozy knits from? I’m always on the lookout for good ones and I feel like I don’t have a favorite source, I just randomly happen upon them. Also HIGH FIVE for sweatshirts!!!!

• emily marie says:

I am unfortunately all about the random knit finds, too. It’s pretty much hit or miss because I’m usually too impatient to order swatches! One of my faves was a cotton/rayon French terry from Fabric.com. Side note: Was making another sweatshirt today, putting on the bottom band and my serger busted! AHHHHHHHH I had to vent. :(

12. gilliancrafts says:

I’ve been making raglan sweatshirts too! So cosy!

13. DA E says:

love it!! it looks soooo comfortable!

14. Katie says:

I love it, the (mis)matched shades of cream are perfection and I love the neckline – I hear you on feeling choked by anything like a crew neck. I’m also obsessed with the Dry Goods site since you ‘grammed about it – I’m planning an order over here to the UK soon, since their international shipping is reasonable.

• Jen says:

Thanks! I’ve always had this neckline problem since anyone can remember. Back in the 80′s when turtlenecks were cool I wanted to DIE! Be cool with a turtleneck and feel like I’m choking all day, or be uncool and feel alright. SO TOUGH as a grade schooler!! Also Drygoods is SOgood!

15. O. says:

Oh my, it’s so pretty! Any chance this pattern might be released? I pretty much live in sweatshirts (no shame, they’re so comfy!) but I can’t find any sewing patterns for them that I like D: Or do you have any patterns to recommend?

• Jen says:

I wasn’t planning on releasing it but now that I’ve gotten so many requests if I get time I’ll consider. Unfortunately I don’t have any to recommend…I’m not super up on patterns outside of a few companies and usually draft my own patterns b/c it’s easier. If I do decide to release it you’ll hear it here first!

• Susan says:

That would be amazing if you released it as a pattern! I wore my patchwork Archer yesterday! I think a good one to try in lieu of that is the Built by Wendy Home Stretch raglan pattern. I’ve made that one into a thick woven bulky shirt, a thin pajama shirt, and a wool jersey sweatshirt.

16. Susie says:

I also love the look of the two shades together, and the raglan sleeves. Looks so comfy!

17. Ally says:

I LOVE that sweatshirt’s cut!! Jen you have such an amazing eye for shape!!

• Jen says:

Aww thanks! That’s so nice to hear, sometimes I feel like a crazy person wearing oversized everything but it really is a thought out sort of oversized!

18. Francis says:

The trim is what makes it so great. Is this one of your patterns?

19. lisa g says:

i love this! if i can’t have spring weather, i can at least wear sweatshirts in spring colors!

20. ebonyh says:

This sweatshirt is so right on it makes me giddy! The “colors” are lovely together, and perfect for spring when we still need to be warm even though we desire to lighten things up a bit. You wrote, “I hate when things are close up on my neck, always feel like I’m choking…” Yeah, totally. This and the longer-than-they-need-to-be sleeves are making this pattern!! Fingers crossed that you might release it into the wild someday soonish because, unlike Kelly, I feel no shame about wanting to copy your everything.

• Jen says:

Hahahaha love it, I copy you guys all the time! If I get time I’ll make it up into a pattern but first I need to get the spring release finished up and squared away. Also I’m glad I’m not the only one who likes a little longer sleeve! So comfortable when you can pull it up around your cold hands.

21. Sasha says:

This sweatshirt looks really really comfy … And the subtle color variation in the fabrics gives it a researched casual look…

22. Annette says:

This is the type of fabric that I want to touch. The contrast band looks great. I’m glad you didn’t dye it.

23. Very cute!! I love basics like this!

24. Sara says:

Pretty sweatshirt. I love it when details are a little off in color. The result feels more refined somehow than when things match perfectly.

• Jen says:

I totally agree, it’s super subtle and nice, which is a horrible way to explain what I’m trying to say, but you know what I mean ;)

25. Geni says:

Are you releasing this pattern? If not is there a specific one you used??

• Jen says:

I wasn’t planning on releasing this pattern, just made it so that I could have a perfect sweatshirt pattern for myself. I’m considering now though since so many people have asked, if I get time I’ll try to make it happen.

26. maddie says:

I totally relate to waiting until after photos are taken to wear a garment like a real garment. I just finished a top and short set (very 1960s) and am dying to wear it. That will have to wait until after this weekend, when I have a chance to photograph it.

27. sewlaurasew says:

Love the contrast binding! What a great thing to sew, I’m sure it will be super versatile.

28. Kelly says:

Love it! The contrast looks great, just intentional enough. I really like light-colored cozy home clothes, but oh, the inevitable tea accidents. I just had one with a favorite pale lavender sweater, and I’m thinking about just trying to dye the whole thing with tea…

29. Mady says:

I really love it! I’m in the hunt for a good sweatshirt pattern for a while now, but I haven’t find anything I like! If you have time I’d love it if you released this pattern!

30. Had to laugh. i’M exactly the same with my hand-makes until they get photographed. One cannot risk any hand to mouth coordination issues! Love the boxiness.

31. This is such an excellent sweatshirt! I really like the idea of the subtle contrast – and it would make fabric shopping a lot easier ;) Haha – rock snow pile – but really love this!!!

32. Rochelle New says:

That fabric looks sooooooo comfortable!! I too love the really subtle contrast of the fabric, and what’s more classic than white and off white? I bet you could pair that sweatshirt with absolutely anything.

33. Aletheia says:

I can’t wait to try out this new pattern! I ordered a couple yards of “Muted Coral Solid Thakoon Cotton Sweatshirt Knit” fabric from mood late last year, and I have been itching to put it to use. :) love the wider neck and style.

34. Almond Rock says:

It’s really cool that you’re playing with textures within the same colour. Simple but a great effect!

35. wormfun says:

So cute! I’ve sewed a couple raglan knits and can never get the ribbing to lay nice and flat like that. Yours looks really good. Any tips?

36. Wigsews says:

I’d love a pattern for this sweater. I bought something similar from a shop called Whistles in the UK (not sure you have it in the States). It would have been great if I could have made my own though. Only just discovered this blog, it’s now on my list of go-tos. Enjoying having a good read.

37. I had to laugh at the part about not wearing projects with abandon until they’ve been photographed. I just made a peach coloured dress for my three year old and wouldn’t let her touch it until it was time to wear it today to the art gallery for photos! When she snacked she had to wear an apron. I’m all for eating and playing with abandon- just let me document first!!

38. Pingback: Cream Lane Raglan Sweatshirt | CUT CUT SEW